First Mods

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

TimmyD
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

First Mods

Post by TimmyD »

Hey,
once i get the problem w/ my revs worked out, what do you guys suggest should be done for the first few car mods??
(nothing to the body/chassis because my dad wont approve - Yes i am pretty much 18 so im still under the influence of my dad and yes this is my first car.)
So yeah, what do you guys suggest should be done to the engine/interior??

I would ask someone who has a good understanding of cars in general but i thought it'd be better to ask the FTO enthusiest. :P

Cheers
Tim
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

if you reckon you won't have much luck with superficial mods, how do you think you'll be able to get away with mechanical mods or what do you think of your chances of getting your dad to allow you to make the car go even faster (and more dangerous)??
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

well the general idea is that my dad isnt very car smart, so anything that wont change the exterior such as changing front bar/skirts.. pretty much ill be able to do anything except for a kit and exhaust :roll:

so yeah, i'd be able to change any engine parts and or interior.

Tim
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

if you are hoping to make thr car go faster without making it noisier or looking different then forget it, because the exhaust system and/or air filter is the single most fundamental mod one can make to an FTO.

Doing other mods without upgrading the exhaust or filter will be a waste of time & money because you will not get the best out of those mods.

Guess you'll just have to get straight HDs in your uni assignments/exams and make him breakfast every morning until you're off Ps to convince him otherwise..!! LOL...
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

lol, well air filter i can do, but its a no go with the exhaust system
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Timmy,
exhaust and air intake systems are a basic start that'll improve your car's speed performance dramatically overnight.

you also have handling areas where you can improve the car whilst still making it look the same (and safer to drive). Lowering the car helps with the center of gravity and reduces body roll when cornering. Casters / strut braces / sway bars /etc all help with corner and breaking (they also assist with even tire wear).

Where are you? best thing to do is meet up with FTO owners in your area and discuss it, you can then see first hand what it is you get for how much money.

If you're in sydney check out the BBQ we're having and come along there will be about 25-30 cars and heaps of people to talk with who will explain everything to you and tell you where not to go and what is a waste of time.

good luck and welcome to the group
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

mmmm... id love to goto the BBQ but i dont have P's and im not in syd, lol..
Im in Melb, Hampton park, but yeah i'd love to see what everyone else has got and get there opinions :P.

thanks for welcomin me, glad to be here :D.

Cheers
Tim
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

keep an eye on the Victoria Board (at the bottom of the Forum Index) for upcoming events in your local area. I'm also sure that the Melbourne guys have regular impromptu meets probably best if you email some of the more active members from melbourne to see what they are upto.

oh also you should set yourself a budget, once you know what you want to spend (or rather are prepared to spend) Then we can advise you on what would be good mods to make within your budget.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

punch a hole in your exaust. so u need to get a nu 1 :)
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

or get a broom stick and punch out ya CAT like ted did :)
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

lol, thanks for the advice guys, ill keep that in mind :P
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

I'm 17 and got my baby on birthday and didn't get my license until 6 months later. That's what my dad said about the cars i wanted, the usual silvia, soarer, supra, skyline even a GTIR (oh yeah :lol: ). He hated my sisters exhaust (it's just a bigger tip). I was pissing my pants until the car arrived (from japan) that he wouldn't like it, when i first turned the key, a humangous roar came from the 5Zigen exhaust (you have to hear it to believe it) and i didn't even rev it but my dad was happy it even started. But he loves the car now...and is over the reason it is a V6 rather than a 4 cylinder which i told him before we bought the car :wink: Now we cruise the streets together and he's proud of it.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

awww that's such a touching story :)

my dad can't stand it... well actually he hate's being so low to the ground but that's all.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeah my dad hates it, he says you are too low tothe ground anditis a really bumpy ride !
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Same here, my dad was the same. When I told him I wanted an FTO he didn't want to hear about it. He might not like the car but if I have any major problems Im sure he will help me out
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

You think the standard ride is bad, how about having adjustables with the settings set for recing and then tell me what your old man says.
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

lol, if my dad found out my car was prep'd for racing it think he's use the expression.... "Off with your head" :P
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

If you don't want to make it too noticable then maybe the suggestion by smorrison on the unique FTO project might be a nice one to do.
The one for the exhaust that is..

I am not really that keen on mods my self, the flash ones any way, but the one smorrison has suggested make sense to me and sounds like a good idea.
Also, maybe sine I already have the air filter and muffler changed!! :lol:

Any way, good luck with your car....Just remember to keep the budget under control otherwise when you love your car it's very easy to go over board all at once!
:)
Redboost
Apprentice

Post by Redboost »

My dad drives my car harder than I do - everytime he "borrows" the car, I hear him rip out of the driveway, caning it like hell! Mind you, he drives an Avalon during the week so I guess all is forgiven! :D
"If you aren't remembered, then you never really existed"
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

mmm is there a way to change the exhaust and keep the noise level to the same as the stock one??
or am i dreaming?? :P

Tim