Front bumper removal

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

andy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Front bumper removal

Post by andy »

I need to get my front bumper off to do some repairs. I've read the how to get your bumper off article and I can't find the mysterious four bolts that apparently hold the part of the bumper that's the same colour as your car.

What I can find: The bolts each side that go from the extreme ends of the bumper up into the wings. A handful of screws that hold on the black plastic splash guards under the wheel arches. The screws under the bonnet that bolt down through onto a metal reinforcing plate.

I assume that the bumper slides forward and off on the stud type things around the headlight area.

Can anyone give me a better description - or even a photo?

Cheers.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

the bumper is fitted with a pair of 'forks' that slide into the chassis. Once the forks are pushed into the chassis, it is held i place by a pair of bolts on top of the radiator and 4 underneath the bumper.

Dannyboy made a swap with mine earlier this year and it took a bit of mucking around to get the bumper alignment right when refitting it.
kni8ht
Apprentice

Post by kni8ht »

andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

It's the magic four bolts underneath that I don't think I've found. Can you give me some idea where they are? I assume they're not the small screws attaching to the flimsy plastic undertray stuff.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Andy where do you live?

The four bolts... umm been a while but there are metal bars that run back from the front bumper follow these back and you will find the bolts... first time its always hard to do.
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

there are two bolts below each headlight, behind the bumper....
the outer bolt isnt too hard to unscrew, its the inner one that is a pain in the neck.... i literally had to unscrew my headlights, and the front quarter panel to remove it... just unscrew it so its loose... i mightve done something wrong though cos it was really difficult to remove, mainly the headlights are in the way, and those inner bolts are just almost impossible to reach...
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

yeah you did something wrong. once i worked out how to do it i can remove one in a couple of minutes normally...
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

I'm in West Pennant Hills.

I'll have a closer look - but if you can do it in minutes and you're nearby I'd really appreciate it if you could point the bolts out to me.

Cheers