General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Deeps
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

NRMA Inspection Report

Post by Deeps »

Hi all

I understand that many of you have had your FTO's for quite some time and as a result you are familiar with its workings. I was hoping some of you could offer me some friendly advice on an FTO Im thinking of buying. I went to see one a couple of days ago and I had an NRMA inspection done on it. There were a few problems found but the dealer said he would fix most of them except for the ones listed as at cost. The items listed as "at cost" means I would have to fix them and NRMA doesn't know how much it would cost to fix.

1. Fuel leak at fuel filter connection
2. Missing fuel filter cap
3. Inoperative Electric Mirror controls
4. Separated steering rack boots
5. Right rear engine oil seepage (at cost)
6. Separating centre rear engine mount
7. Tappet operational noise
8. Inoperative lower rear screen elements (at cost)

So the only Items I would have to fix myself are number 5 and number 8. My question is how serious are the other problems and will it cost me heaps to get rid of the oil seepage?

If anyone could offer me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

the oil leak depends on where abouts its leaking from, and could turn out to be a nightmare, i think you should either talk the dealer in to fixin it, or go find another fto, there are plenty to choose from, and theres no point rushing in to buying one and finding it will cost you another coupldgrand to fix the oil leak
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Can an oil seepage really cost me that much? I thought that it would just be a problem with the rubber seels?
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

Probably any car you take to get an NRMA Inspection will come up with a few problems, remembering that some FTO's are nearing 10 years old now.
Rear Right engine oil seepage doesnt sound very specific though, get some more info on that leak before you go any further with the car, either that or keep looking.
Thats just my 2 cents :wink:

Good luck.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

MintFTO wrote:Probably any car you take to get an NRMA Inspection will come up with a few problems, remembering that some FTO's are nearing 10 years old now.
Rear Right engine oil seepage doesnt sound very specific though, get some more info on that leak before you go any further with the car, either that or keep looking.
Thats just my 2 cents :wink:

Good luck.
Well the oil seepage has been classified as a level "E", which means it is "A defect needing early repair". This is the lowest level a defect can have, meaning it is a minor problem. However, I am now a bit more concerned because of what G_A_V said.
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

G_A_V is pretty much on the ball actually, I know this because about 2 weeks after I got my car I discovered that the Cam seals developed a leak and the car was also leaking from the head gasket. Lucky it was under warranty because the mechanic said it was about $2k worth of damage to repair!
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Also keep in mind that FTOs are notorious oil leakers, especially the GPXs. This doesn't get better with age either unfortunately. How old is this FTO?

If you are keen on this particular car, get a second opinion. Say if you can get a mechanic to look at it and give you an estimation of repair, that would be good. Or get another inspection from a place like Sydney Vehicle Check for peace of mind. NRMA is usually pretty thorough though.

But I would try to push the dealer in getting the repairs done. If not, either leave the sale or bargain for a lower price. All depends on the cost of repair. In any case, the dealer is at your mercy.
From FTO to EVO......
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

Oil leaks around the cam seals is a fairly common problem. If the car is getting close to 100000 kms, then you will need to change the cam belt anyway and the seals can be changed at the same time. When I bought my FTO it had the same problem and I was quoted about $600 to fix it (ex. the cam belt). The dealer was supposed to fix the leak as part of the sale, but I suspect he just wiped the oil up and said "there, fixed" because it still leaks. But it has passed rego and now it can wait until I change the cam belt.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

It is a GPX model and it's done 80'000. Apart from this bloody oil seepage it is a pretty good fto. I guess I'll speak to the dealer and try to get him to fix the oil seepage or I'll just look for another fto. Im spewing though, it's a pretty good car otherwise.
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

sounds like a walk away job to me!

I have been looking for weeks and you would be surprised on what you see.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Yeh, I have been lookin 4 ages and there is usually something wrong with the ones I find. This ine was the best one except for this oil seepage. Im getting to the point of giving up. :cry:
elmo
Grease Monkey

oil leak

Post by elmo »

is it coming from the to or bottom of the motor. From what you said, i would say it is the main crank seal. Is it leaking between the motor and box?
OK to replace this seal, most are gonna wanna pull the motor and split the box. Then they gotta change the $15 seal and put it back together and back in. Dunno if it can be done in the car, but unless the mechanic has done one before (or a clutch) i wouldn't let em near it. Else you'll end up paying the 15 hours extra labour for them to figure out how to do it.
They could do the job in about six hours if they have done one before, which works out to be worth 400-500 bucks including the seal, which isn't too bad but remember the motor has to come out...
As for the rear demister??? You will need that to get it over the pits probably but i think window tinters can stick new ones on now.
If it's done 80 000 K then the timing belt is due for replacemnet, aswell as front and rear plugs, and they will do the tappets at the same time. I would get the dealer to do this cause they gotta pull the top off to do the tappets, and while they're at it they should replace the cam seals. So this is gonna cost the dealer about two grand and you about 1 grand.
How goods the price??? Get him to knock that off the price, find a good mechanic who will do it for cash and get em to pull the motor when they do it.
But personally it is a lot of trouble I would not be keen to buy into....
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

I got a call from Unique Autosport today. It seems they are the ones that are repairing my car. The guy I spoke to said that all work was completed and the car was going back to the dealer today. He said 6 of the items HAD to be repaired for the car to be road worthy. So I'm guessing they didn't repair the oil seepage or the lower rear screen elements. I told him that I was a bit concerned with the oil seepage becoming a bigger problem in the future. He said it should be covered under warranty if something goes wrong. I think hes just full of sh*t. It looks like this car may have more problems than it's worth. I guess I could take the risk, but I dont wanna get stuck with a lemon.
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Deeps wrote:I told him that I was a bit concerned with the oil seepage becoming a bigger problem in the future. He said it should be covered under warranty if something goes wrong. I think hes just full of sh*t.
It's quite common for cars of this age to develop some issues with oil leakage. I've been told by a mate who's a machanic (he also checked out my FTO) that you're bound to get oil leaks somewhere even if u take the greatest care of your car, it's just whether or not the oil issue is major or something not to worry about. I'd recommend a 2nd opinion on the vechicle and it'd be great if u can get it from someone that u trust.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Just my 2 cents worth... My car doesnt leak oil (and hopefully wont)
anyway - the steering rack boots.. I had a split one too, Mitsubishi motors quoted me $60 a piece without labour. I went to a smash repairers and got one for $49 fitted. I could have fitted it myself (the part was $12) but was in a hurry and didnt have a good enough jack system . Also a wheel alignment is a good idea after it has been done too.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

I had 3 to 4 cars inspected during my search for an FTO, all of them had minor oil leaks...
I was told that the rocker cover needed tightening (whatever that means :? )
LED ALL the things.
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

The Rocker cover is not generally considered a major oil leak. My FTO had an oil leak coming from the cam box :oops: . Lucky that was covered under warranty, or I would have been handing over my right arm to cover the costs...
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Thats right MintFTO, if it turns out to be something like what you described then it will cost me heaps. I guess I could get a second opinion but if that comes back negative then I would have spent all this money on inspections for a car Im not even buying. I think I should just not take the risk and leave it.
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

well I dont totally agree on the oil leak front....I've seen cars to plenty of kms without doing a drop. maybe it comes down to how they are driven, i dont really know.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

On the ol oil drip topic - as i said i bleed nothing... Is there a difference between GR and GPX with respect to this I have a GR.. The bloke that sold me it said he has always had engine troubles with the gpx so he wont import them. He has brough accross 7 or so GR's i think and hasnt had one complaint.

Oh something else to point out about inspections. Not sure if you have the same 'retards' over there, but here in SA the RAA know nothing about imported cars. They appear scared to look at them. I just checked around with people i knew for a mob that inspect imports. I found one - and he seemed quite good. A mate of mine had a supra checked recently by an independant wanker, he is up for a lot of money now and is trying to recover something. Do we have a section here devoted to quality inspectors? Damn there are enuf of us on this site who own fto's maybe that would be a neat addition - i know it will be free advertising for them but at least they will have proven themselves - and at the same time a black list??