anyone keeps a spare wheel in boot?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by GPXXX »

nope, can't afford it LOL...!!

besides, i heard that the space-saver wheel in the boot cannot be used on the road because it is illegal (due to incorrect size and illegal tyres)

...so i removed it for less weight in the car. they weigh about 4-5kgs!!
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

No, space savers are not illegal. You can use them during an emergency with recommended travelling restrictions of 80km/h for a maximum distance of 80kms.

In NSW, check out the RTA doco http://members.ozemail.com.au/~crawfy/dl/vsi09.pdf which notes:

Space saver wheels and tyres should only be used in emergency situations and for as short a distance as possible. When your damaged wheel or tyre is repaired, you should put it back on the vehicle immediately.

So, carrying a space saver is better than nothing to save yourself some hassles as a person from the last Sydney cruise found out!
elmo
Grease Monkey

spare wheel

Post by elmo »

The dish in the boot is only big enuf for the space saver, so a 205 or watevr would not fit properly.
nless you made a fance cover or something???
Chiangstar
Grease Monkey

Post by Chiangstar »

i actually just have that tyre foam stuff and a portable 12v air compressor... that way if i get a puncture...hopefully the tyre foam can temporarily seal it and the air compressor can give the tyre enough pressure to last me to the nearest gas station
elmo
Grease Monkey

tyres

Post by elmo »

:idea: depends how sideways you are when you hit that kerb :evil:
Tyres tend to tear like that, and the foams no good then, but hey everyone doesn't drive like me,...
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Pump and foam is also no good if you wreck your rim, but I was thinking about the foam/pump thing myself.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Chiangstar
Grease Monkey

Post by Chiangstar »

hahahah i used to drive like that....but i kinda learnt my lesson in the national park when i met some debris on the road which made me go sideways into a hard surface :( so i take it "easier" now ... but still "spirited" heheh i didnt buy beefier swaybars for nothing :o
elmo
Grease Monkey

rims

Post by elmo »

if the rims stuffed just drive it anyway, cause wont do that much damage to it in a few km.
Space savers are a good idea, they just look poxy.
Then again, they probably do that to embarrass you and stop you going too far with it on?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

The space saver does not come in any other sizes. When buying non-standard larger rims, you just have to check that the space saver will still be of a similar diameter as the new tyres.

The FTO owner's manual states that you should not exceed 50km/hr when driving on the spare tyre
elmo
Grease Monkey

speeds

Post by elmo »

the space saver has that max 80km/h for 80 km written on it hey?
So which is right, the tyre or the manual? or is it something to do with mechnaical damage?
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Yeah, The Car Show (on Channel 9) did a segment on space savers. They had a interview with a tyre safety person. So, not a rule as such. It's not illegal to use them though.

But abit of common sense wouldn't go astray either.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

damnit, cant take my spare 'for temporary use only' tyre out..... the subbies in the way! lol
elmo
Grease Monkey

spare wheel

Post by elmo »

Well if you cant use it in an emergency, you might aswell pull the sub out and remove the wheel and put the sub back. The space left would make a good spot to put amps etc....
Guess you'll be investing in the foam and one of those $6 compressors from supercheap?? (JEEZ six bucks for something like that eh.... a mate got one and has used it a dozen times, not bad for six bucks, cheaper than driving to a servo....)