FTO Headlights

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nofearzz
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO Headlights

Post by nofearzz »

For some reason the headlights on my FTO seem to be de-laminating.

Does anyone know where i can source a pair of headlights from? And if so how do i change them? Can i just change the lense? Hopefully not the whole headlight.

Thanks in advance..

My email is nofearzzz@hotmail.com

This forum seems to get more traffic than the part forum but i have also posted this question there: http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... opic&t=559
IND38T
Apprentice

Post by IND38T »

What do u mean by delaminating? Do you mean its getting like crusty or something ?
REDFTO

Post by REDFTO »

Mine is doing the same thing. The clear layer on the outside is peeling off, from the top down and spoils an otherwise perfect car (except the big scratch on my rims where my gf hit a gutter :evil: )
IND38T
Apprentice

Post by IND38T »

hhmm where are u located? i bought my car like that and got it fixed at a place in yennorra
airbornespanner
Apprentice

Post by airbornespanner »

IND38T, I have the same problem with the r/h headlight, have a quote from Northshore Mitsubishi of $695 to replace it, very expensive!!!. Could you possible let me know where you got yours repaired I would really appreciate it. I am in Sydney also.
IND38T
Apprentice

Post by IND38T »

i got it done at yennora i cant remember the name of the place but i know where it is.... if u want i could show u some saturday morning if u want to come down and meet up its near my house anyways .....
airbornespanner
Apprentice

IND38T,

Yes I would like to hook up with you to find out where these guys are and get the lens fixed, could do it next Saturday morning if you are free, email me your contact details or time and place to meet. Thanks
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I've read that other people have had this problem on various cars.

One fix that I have read about is to drill a tiny hole in the back of the head light.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
jc133480
Apprentice

Post by jc133480 »

Yea the fix for moisture in the bottom fog lights is the drill a small 1-2mm whole in the bottom of the unit, be very carefull not to hit the bulb or the reflector inside

There is one screw in the top of the light, remove this and disconnect the wiring harness at the back of the indicator/fog lights.

This will total remove the unit then drill on a bench.

Leave to sit for 20mins still the moisture is gone, a refit.

I found that if you re-seal this whole it returned so just leave it open.

This is a realy good time to replace the FOG light bulbs with Optiblue units too!!. They look like XID / xenon bulbs. Or some other tinted bulbs.

If your really adventourous you can dismantle the entire unit and remove the orange reflector inside the indicator part and replace with some silver stuff, then get orange bulbs, so you get that LEXUS look for you front side indicators.
nofearzz
Apprentice

Post by nofearzz »

Unfortunatly i'm a country FTO owner (Central Queensland) So it isn't worth driving to Sydney just to repair/replace my headlights...

The crusting/flaking everyone's talking about is what's happening to my lights also.

Does anyone know how the crusting/de-laminating can be repaired?

Buffing? etc..?

Thanks for all your advice so far.
REDFTO

Post by REDFTO »

I'm in Sydney too, but i'm not free this weekend. If you could get contact details for the place that can fix them for me that would be great.

Also, how much did you pay when you got it fixed?
Ice_FTO

Post by Ice_FTO »

This is a realy good time to replace the FOG light bulbs with Optiblue units too!!. They look like XID / xenon bulbs. Or some other tinted bulbs.
Hey jc133480, where did you get the blue fog light bulbs and how much? Are they recent as I was looking for a set some time ago but everyone only had headlight bulbs?!
airbornespanner
Apprentice

REDFTO, for your info I have found a place in Sydney that can repair the blistering on the head light, He is going to charge $50 for it, I have removed the haedlight assemby today and will give it to him in the morning if all goes well I will pass on his details to you if you want.
elmo
Grease Monkey

headlights

Post by elmo »

airbornespanner wrote
I have removed the haedlight assemby today

Did you have to take the bumper off to get em out or is there a trick to it?
airbornespanner
Apprentice

elmo,
It is not very easy , I undid the bolts holding the Guard in the engine bay then the screws (with plastick inserts) in the wheel arch area then undid the screws/ and bolts holding the guard and front spoiler together (this is a bit tricky but can be done) then undid the screws (with plastick inserts) in front of the radiator) then with a bit of gentle force on the released guard and front spoiler was able to remove the headlight assemby. I had downloaded the workshop manuals from the "GURU" a member from the UK but could not find the removal proceedures in them. If you need any more assistance let me know , I will try and help.
airbornespanner
Apprentice

elmo,
I only undid the guard on the side that I needed to remove the headlight.
elmo
Grease Monkey

hmmm

Post by elmo »

sounds like hard work....
I undid about 75% of the bolts you mentioned on my first go and couldn't get em out.
I think the bumper will have to come off to fit my veilside look T front lip spoiler??? dunno. When the panel beater does this, guess i will just drop by and rip em out while their not lookin....hehe