Insurance

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jc133480
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Insurance

Post by jc133480 »

Hey anyone pissed about FTO insurance, I sure am.

I was paying 2900 last year
now 2500 as a rating 5 with justcars

I spoke with them and the story was FTO's & 180's are the most expensive cars to fix and have high accident rate!

I laughed at this but there is some reasoning to it.

Strangely enough though you'd think the worst case cost would be write off for a ~$20000 dollar car would be the influencing rate, but not according to them.

Personally I think their full of it. Since the MX6 and Terberon are almost identical spec cars with same parts issues and far less expensive to insure.

I would really like to see ASIC investigate this one. Would not surprise me if the local car manufactures are in with the insurance rating guys.
Richo2003
Apprentice

Post by Richo2003 »

Hey Man hows things,

At the moment I am looking at getting an FTO so insurance is high on the priority list. You should try a company called Famous Car Insurance in Perth. (Do a search on the net for their number)

They insure cars nationally and where the cheapest I have found so far.

I mean, im a rating 3, had one suspension and a couple of other things and they quoted me around $2400.00.........cant hurt to ask.

They dont pay much attention to small mods either which is good.

Hope this is some help

Cheers

Richo.
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

got my 95 GR insured by DAWES for $937 market value, 60% NCB, with no records.

i used to be with Young & cool last year (which was under DAWES at that time) for around $1700, their quote for me this year was way too high so i thought of ringing a couple of places, and ended up insuring it with Dawes...

hope that helps.
elmo
Grease Monkey

INSURANCE

Post by elmo »

NOTE: Famous Car insurance will not even talk to you if you are under 25.
Now I have to wait four months before I can reinsure.
Richo2003
Apprentice

Post by Richo2003 »

Elmo, Dont know where you heard that cause im 20 nearly 21 and they were willing to talk to me...........and I have had a suspension already. Qu0oted me round $2400 per year, but there was an age excess...........but thats life
fuhrer
Apprentice

hey

Post by fuhrer »

yeah elmo im with famous and im under 25... who u hear that from???
THE FUHRER
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

I had a few troubles with my insurance too
Just cars are the only ones, except they wanted to sting me for $2900 and i'm 23 on rating 5 with 2 claims 1 loss of license and 3 other single point fines. I decided i'd only go for 3rd party fire & theft for $670.
J_Tee

Post by J_Tee »

I'm 18 and wanted a quote before my FTO came back on the road. They said I was too late, they don't insure people under 20 now. WTF!!! SO now I am just going under 3rd party insurance. It's too much to insure after all the repair costs I put into it. Who is this DAWES company? Anyone got a contact?

Baiscally: Just cars said $3500 <--- definitely way too much
Famous car insurance won't touch me cause I'm only 18
and I haven't tried the others yet, but I have an idea of what the premiums will be like.
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

where do u live j tee? coz just car quoted me at 17 5.5k. $3500 is not much at all considering your only 18 (same as me). Tell us how u go.
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

elmo
Grease Monkey

insurance

Post by elmo »

spoke to famous a couple of weeks ago. The first question was, what type of car is it? the second question was, how old are you? They didn't even ask my name or anything. Seemed really rude but they assured me they do not insure people under 25 in imported vehicles anymore.
When did you guys last renew?
And are you the primary driver and owner on the policy?
Cohn
Grease Monkey

Post by Cohn »

lucky me??? i took out insurance with Famous around 3 months ago...

I'm the primary driver of the car, but my dad is under there aswell, 18 years old, had an acco in the past, and only paying $2200, but i bargained my way through it so i donno...

Good luck fellas. All i know is that if it wasn't for the insurance i found with famous, i would have never bought an FTO, it would be too risky without comprehensive, and was not willing to pay much more than 2200 for my insurance.

P.S. I know what you mean Elmo, they are a bunch of rude irish/scottish/welsh pricks. But you've just gotta be firm with them, and try to get them onto your side, i think that's the trick.
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

I insured with Unique car Ins and they were much more reasonable than the figures you mention. I am 30 and rating 1, but they might still be worth a try for you guys.
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

i'm currently with famous.... $1450/year - just got quoted $1000 :lol: from Dawes... Just Car was $1600...
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

with just cars, i was quoted $4500 first time, second time $6500, third time $5000......

i asked them how much for 3rd party, and they said it would cost me about $650 a year....... i called again, same price.

so here i am with my fto insured under 3rd party.

i was 18 at the time, ..... sif i'd pay $4500 for insurance!
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

I'm under 25 and insured with famous, but mine was done in March. Also, I've had only the most polite people when I call them for enquiries/claims etc. Even to cancel claims etc.
Just Cars was $3650 and Famous was $2980 but Famous had higher excess and 1 claim would make up for the difference. Oh, I'm 19 Rating 6 btw, but that's just car's rate for rating 5 cos parents are with AAMI. And this is agreed value of 22k etc.
Well, if I can't renew it then whew, was going to change next year anyway! But hmm, maybe too many people have had accidents in FTOs lately?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well, i'm 26 and recently renewed my comprehensive cover for $780p/a with Just cars on 60%NCB rating-1... being under 25 is always gonna be a disadvantage particularly if you're driving a hi-po import but hey, that'sthe way it goes...

btw there is already a thread about this discussion:
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... =insurance
FTO2sxy
Apprentice

Post by FTO2sxy »

try callin 0755380845 for a competitive price, theyl beat any quote u have
Richo2003
Apprentice

Post by Richo2003 »

what company is that number for??? might give them a shot

Cheers

Richo
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Hey GPXXX, how did u get such a cheap price from Just Cars?
I'm 25 with rating 1 and paying $1350 p/a for an agreed price of $22000. Not sure what my NCB is, but I think my premium can only go up because of the "cosmetic" mods I've got.