Daily Tiptronic driver

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

KillaFlop
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Daily Tiptronic driver

Post by KillaFlop »

hey, how many tip owners out there purely drive in tip???

can the gearbox handle it if you use tip all the time? are u even supposed to use it all the time?
i never leave it in drive, tip is so much fun to play with (no substitute for the clutch thou :wink: )
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

I don't drive in tip all the time, but I have a friend who has a Magna VRX, and thats all he uses. Its the same gearbox as FTO, and has not had any trouble.
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

im laso wandering would it create a problem in the future if you use the tip to slow down also (like form gear 4 down to gear 2) ?????
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

i dont think u can use tip to go down from 4 to 2
i do know that u dont need to use the tip to slow down, it just goes down automatically, but when u want it to go up, u have to do it urself

i dont think it will be a problem if it goes 4 to 3 at the right speed
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thecook wrote:i dont think u can use tip to go down from 4 to 2
i do know that u dont need to use the tip to slow down, it just goes down automatically, but when u want it to go up, u have to do it urself

i dont think it will be a problem if it goes 4 to 3 at the right speed
i have test driven an FTO GPX tip and i have been able to downshift from 4 to 2 easily (upon entry onto the freeway)... sounds great, but not for the car dealer himself (i only had the intention of thrashing it anyway coz he tried to con one of my buddies) LOL!
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

lol- i rarely use the tip... but i'll try downshifting from 4 to 2 next time... how fast, how many revs, would be the smoothest change?
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

oh that gives me an idea aswell LOL

i gotta go to a wrx dealer, and ask to test drive a manual wrx (even though i've driven manual twice in my whole life lol)... do as many stalls as possible, hopefully that'll piss him off...

he was very rude to my friend, he pissed my friend off coz that dude had the "what a f**king rich kid" attitude to my friend lolz...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thecook wrote:oh that gives me an idea aswell LOL

i gotta go to a wrx dealer, and ask to test drive a manual wrx (even though i've driven manual twice in my whole life lol)... do as many stalls as possible, hopefully that'll piss him off...

he was very rude to my friend, he pissed my friend off coz that dude had the "what a f**king rich kid" attitude to my friend lolz...
oooh!! oooh!! can i come too? i wanna see his/her reaction as i dump the WRX clutch at 6000rpms LOL! :D
elmo
Grease Monkey

can i come too

Post by elmo »

Wish I was there too.
Car dealers are becoming very rude I think.
I got laughed at when I went to test drive brand new suzuki Leanna. Dumb fuk though just cause I had dreadlocks at the time that I couldn't afford it.
Think his exact words were "we all gotta have dreams" and he walked off.
His loss, I earn more than him and had 20g in my pocket ready to buy that car straight out but he wouldn't let me test drive.
Bought FTO two days later, hehe, definately better choice. Sucked in Eagle One Suzuki missed the 20g sale and i bet that guy didn't get the nice chrissy bonus he was expecting.
Give it one for me guys.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

I think most of us can safely say we earn more than the car dealer cats. They should be smarter than that.

I guess it depends on which dealers you go to. Maybe Euro car dealers are more respectable??
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Having driven manuals for years ( this is my first attempt at a triptronic and/or auto) I tend to use it like a manual for overtaking. :twisted: I just dump the excelerator and shift down to second, whatch the taco jump to 6000 and hang on!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Please dont tell me its not good for the car!!! I love the look on the passengers faces when MIVEC kicks in and the car basically SCREAMS passed the offending slower vehicle 8) 8) 8O 8O
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

kazbah wrote:Having driven manuals for years ( this is my first attempt at a triptronic and/or auto) I tend to use it like a manual for overtaking. :twisted: I just dump the excelerator and shift down to second, whatch the taco jump to 6000 and hang on!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Please dont tell me its not good for the car!!! I love the look on the passengers faces when MIVEC kicks in and the car basically SCREAMS passed the offending slower vehicle 8) 8) 8O 8O
YIKES!!! DON'T DO IT - IT'S VERY BAD FOR YOUR CAR!!!

just kidding...!! :D:D:P

MIVECs were born to rev, and even from 5th at 80kph, i tend to downshift to 4th and plant my foot coz it'll still pull like train in mid rpms anyway... and if i get angry i'll downshift to 3rd and enjoy the MIVEC scream haha...
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I just dump the excelerator and shift down to second, whatch the taco jump to 6000 and hang on!!!!!
LOL... I do that often on tiptronic too. In fact, when i'm driving in auto mode and the car is in 5th gear at 60kmh :roll: , I step on the accelerator and the smart INVECS automatically senses the need for better acceleration and shifts down to 4th.

In tip mode I just stay in 3rd at 60kmh and the revs are high enough (but not for MIVEC to kick in).
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

8O 3rd on 60kph?? geeez... i'm usually on 5th @ 60kph unless i gotta overtake someone then i'm on 4th... i prefer cruising (and soak up the attention LOL)..

oh btw when i say 'cruising', i don't mean driving fast - i meant flying low! ;)

LOL...
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

5th gear? wtf u on about 8O
mines only 4 gears lol
what happend to my 5th gear!

i love hearing mivec! the only time i rev the car up to 6000rpm is when im cruising around near my old high skool...

i just love the looks on those little kiddies faces when they see me drive past! lol
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

get a manual - you'll find the 5th gear there LOL... 8)

hey kirby, which high school did you go to? i drive past my old uni every now and then (Swinburne Hawthorn) and it sure gets the attention LOL!!

i also love it when i cruise past the girls school in my town, esp when they're waiting for their school buses hahaha... a couple of them had asked for a ride before LOL... :wink:
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

LOL
yeh i went to Carey Grammar, class of '02

i wish i got the fto before i finished!

i live 2 mins driving from my old high skool, so im always driving around it on purpose just to show off! lol

but i've never had girls ask me for a ride...!

i dont think the girls in my area check out cars that much... there are a lot of girls/boys/co ed skools in my area, i drive past heaps of chix, but none really pay attention... its mostly the guys, i reckon 2f2f has made a huge impact on the jap import scene!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

LOL... i think my town only has 2/3 FTOs (incl mine) and my car is prob the most extreme example running around... plus they're a rare sight here so when ppl see my car you can tell the reaction on their face, it's like "phwoaaarr... WTF is that??!" :mrgreen:
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

OK, this is an edit cos I accientally posted my new topic in here instead of replying and vice versa.
Anyway, I drive in tip all the time, mainly so I change up quicker and same *that* much more fuel (or allow for the odd thrash at the lights every now and then) But yeah, unless I need one hand free then its tip all the time for me and no probs so far except sometimes it doesn't shift down automatically at low speeds i.e. still in gear 3 at 15km/h, so maybe that's something but it always fixes itself.
Oh, and I find it quite common to go from Gear 4 to Gear 2 when downshifting to overtake or something because I find the respose from gear 4-->3 is quite disappointing, but that could be because I tend not to dump the accelerator at the same time...
And I notice if you go from 3 to 1, it'll take about a second where all it does is rev and it feels like your going nowhere... Then suddenly its screaming!!!
MiVEC

Post by MiVEC »

i think i got the same problem. my car doesn't shift down automatically from 3 to 2, but it does shift down 3 to 1 when i stop. what's wrong with that? anybody know how to fix it? thanks..