what extractors 4 a gpx ???

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO2sxy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

what extractors 4 a gpx ???

Post by FTO2sxy »

hey howz it goin everyone, what extractors does anyone recommend for a fto gpx, ive just got the ralliart exhaust on it at the moment and a k&n pod,...

is it worth puttin extractors, and if so which ones, and how much???

thanx
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

RPW in Perth has extractor kits for the 6A12... Apparently it gives you better response down low, but i also i heard that you need a FPR to go with it or the air/fuel mixture will be lean out or something... :roll:
elmo
Grease Monkey

extractors

Post by elmo »

I have the RPW extractors on my car.
They are good for creating power (probably torque?) below 3500 rpm and they give a a chunkier note when in mivec.
Now as for the Fuel pressure reg. Well I dunno. I got one and played with it but it make no differece.
Crockenberge reckon that you don't need it and they do the rallycars for ralliart so?????
Someone said RPW just sells them cause FTO owners are all well off and can affor another $500 when doing work.
So they have a good product but i definately would not go there to get them fitted. Better still, when they piull my engine down, i might have em copied and put a discount range on the market.
Mitsiman
Approved FTO Australia Trader

Post by Mitsiman »

Comments like that Elmo aer one of the reasons why companies charge so much in the first place to cover the cost of other people ripping us off.

The reason why we need to supply a FPR on the extractors is wtih teh mivec motors specifically, not the non mivec versions, is that due to the fact they have a MAP sensor to register air pressure / vacuem when you bolt the extractor system on they flow a lot more air.

When they flow more air they are going to obviously, lean the car out. Now with a MAP sensor since it only registers vacuem and not air volume the car leans out and will actually lose power at low rpm as it cannot get enough fuel to match the greater volume of air.

Hence the FPR is needed to richen it up slightly and hence power and torque comes back and is further improved.

The non mivec motors do not need it as they run a MAF sensor which reads air volume and hence will automatically richen the car up and avoid the problem.

With regards to Crockenburgs comments, again all of the rally cars use a MAF sensor so this area is not an area is he familiar with - we all have our specialities - we learn't this from our test fitter when he advised us that the extractors built a flat spot into his car. Then he fitted the FPR unit and the car went like a rocket.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
elmo
Grease Monkey

extractors

Post by elmo »

yea but even with the FPR wound down all the way I have notice very little difference in the performance.
BTW: Where you fitted the FPR has left a dirty big scratch on my bonnet cause it doesn't clear it properly. Guess you'll have to sort that out for the next guy who buys some too.
I'm not gonna copy your extractors David, just trying to get your attention, wondering when you are gonna sort out all the problems you didn't fix on my car.
I did the right thing by you and don't deserve to be ignored, do the right thing by me and at least call and tell me you forgot to tighten the handbrake cable as part of a major service, and that I can come in and you will sort it out ASAP. My problem is you didn't want to know about me once I paid my bill, you just offered excuses not solutions to the problems you left me with.
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

Post by JSP-INC »

don't u think this should issue should be sorted *Outside* of the forums?
J1
Apprentice

Post by J1 »

Does anyone know what's happening with the RPW race design extractors for the FTO?
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

I think its good to know what companies FTO owners are having trouble with, it saves us heartache for later..

jono
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Jono wrote:I think its good to know what companies FTO owners are having trouble with, it saves us heartache for later..

jono
wasn't there a thread in this forum about dodgy companies/workshops to avoid a while ago??? ...or was that in another forum?? damn... I'm a member of so many forums I can't remember which anymore LOL...!!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Yeah it was on this forum.
I don't have a problem with maybe one or two people complaining about a company, you will get that from time to time.

What matters is when you hear the same problem occuring time and time again - I think that was the idea about the complaints thread, to try and see how many people have the same complaint about somebody.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Mitsiman

Re: extractors

Post by Mitsiman »

elmo wrote:yea but even with the FPR wound down all the way I have notice very little difference in the performance.
BTW: Where you fitted the FPR has left a dirty big scratch on my bonnet cause it doesn't clear it properly. Guess you'll have to sort that out for the next guy who buys some too.
I'm not gonna copy your extractors David, just trying to get your attention, wondering when you are gonna sort out all the problems you didn't fix on my car.
I did the right thing by you and don't deserve to be ignored, do the right thing by me and at least call and tell me you forgot to tighten the handbrake cable as part of a major service, and that I can come in and you will sort it out ASAP. My problem is you didn't want to know about me once I paid my bill, you just offered excuses not solutions to the problems you left me with.
Okay its fine to make a message like this on a board I have no problems with that but who are you? Please remember that I too hop on a lot of boards and I don't even recall having someone with an FTO who has complained about a scratch?

We don't see too many FTO vehicles in WA so normally I would remember. And of course your Elmo name means nothing to me from a forum.

Call me sometime at work as at this stage it is all a mystery to me.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

I have heard a lot of good thingss about the rpw extractors, but one of the headers does a full u turn, and looks like a very restrictive section of the pipe, surely this could not be the most effient route, also would these extractors be useless once the rpw turbo setup is installed ? or would they be even better ?
Mitsiman

Post by Mitsiman »

The curve on teh pipe is tehre to maintain the tuned length principle of the system for equal scavenging of all cylidners and we haev used this system on all our V6 engines and it has been shown in the USA on the 3.0 Eclipse / Galant vehicles that our system flows as well or better than prevailing straight pipes etc.

The curve is a mandrel bent curve and is a smooth flowing design - I can assure you it is not the least bit restrictive and they do work fine.

We are making a new race design with longer headers but that is still sometime away from being completed no ETA on this yet.

david Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

I believe the race extractors are done as I have a set =)

Anyways, there isn't much you can do about the full u-turn with the transversely mounted engine and as far as I can tell the steering arm prevents a drop down and merge that would not end up being a 90 degree angle.

You should take a look at stock headers . . . you'd be surprised how restrictive they look compared to the RPW design =)
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

I think Gav raised a good point:

Are these extractors still effective if a RPW turbo is installed, and whether or not the extractors is a mod that can be carried over?

If the answer is Yes, and Yes, then I'm definately up for a set of extractors.
elmo
Grease Monkey

elmo

Post by elmo »

David,
I'm the guy who went out of his way and loanded you my car for the turbo kit.
Remember me. Obviously you've had a few disgruntled FTO owners hey???

Anyway, the extractors are good product, :evil: (damn I wish i didn't have to say that but I have to be honest) :evil:
The bends in the extractors are OK and a damn lot better than the factory manifolds.
I believe the race extractors are done as I have a set =)
When did you get yours cause RPW told me they were not finished yet, anyway what would be the difference?? larger bore or longer pipes???
We are making a new race design with longer headers but that is still sometime away from being completed no ETA on this yet.
So whoever told you they were race headers should go on the dodgy business list.....

Finally, extractors on a turbo????
Sounds a bit like double dutch to me. You got extractors making it a nice free flowing system and then you whack a turbo in there and you just wasted your money on extractors, cause the turbo has gotta cause a restriction.
The rpw extractors are a 3 piece set, two manifold extractors and a big long dump pipe with a flex in it. I believe they will be using the dump pipe and two new manifolds.
If you have a look at Dannyboyau's conversion picks, you will see how he did it, RPW has done it almost identical. (remembers Danny has 6a13).
Mitsiman

Post by Mitsiman »

Now I know who Elmo is - to be honest you are the only FTO disgruntled customer I have had but I havn't worked on many FTO vehicles in perth for normal servicing etc and the extractor sales in perth have been very slow for some reason.

No the extractors are not compatible with the turbo kit.

IT is unfortunlaty a choice of one or the other.

The new race design is a complete new manifold and flex design using much longer primary pipes and headers.

To this date we have not made any race design yet. WE are finishing off our V6 magna and USa models first and then having another look at the FTO vehicles as the current system works extremely well on the FTO.

I still say Elmo - drop by and I will check out the FPR unit and ensure it is working correctly and maybe we can discuss your previous issues now that we have all had a chance to calm down and think coherently.
:lol:

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Mitsiman wrote: No the extractors are not compatible with the turbo kit.

IT is unfortunlaty a choice of one or the other.
speaking of turbo kit, how is that coming along? i know i sound like a broken record but i'm sure there are quite a number of us here who are keen to know more about it... (performance/price/availability etc)
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Eh, guess I was wrong =P

Then again I wasn't too particular in asking for race design, I think I only mentioned it once or twice in my correspondence and refered to them as just extractors in most of it so I guess it was just a mis-communication =) Should of guessed something was amiss when I got the price (I had been quoted before) but eh, if the race design has major improvments over the street design I'll just buy another set *shrugs*

I'd like to see the race design if it gets made up in the end, I've haven't recieved my car back yet so I don't know how well the street extractors will perform over stock.

I'll let you guys know how I go after I get the damn thing tuned when I get my car back =)
elmo
Grease Monkey

FPR

Post by elmo »

David, where the FPR has been rubbing on the bonnet, the lock nuts can move and it adjusts itself to any setting. This is why I have been playing around with it. It still rises the same as when I picked the car up so must be working, and if it wasn't wouldn't I get a flat spot???

Now I'm a fair sorta guy, and given it was your customer service/relations that were crap and not your workmanship, (apart from a couple of little things,) I'm prepared to give you another go.

You've got my details in your system, (under V i think), so give me a call and set a time to come out and quote this car. If your nice to me I might not even yell. Nah seriously though, if a customer has a complaint you should chase it up not leave it and hope it goes away. We all learn from our mistakes though.