how to keep a black car clean in Melbourne weather?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

rxboy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

how to keep a black car clean in Melbourne weather?

Post by rxboy »

Hey all, I'm sure I'm not the only one to say that's it's a bitch to keep a black car clean in Melbourne's weather. After washing it like a dog licks his balls, it only takes a bit of good ol' Melbourne acid rain to make it dirty again. I do the whole Meguire's 3 step routine regularly and the rain drops DO bead. BUT when the remaining drops evaporate, they leave the dirt sticking to the car. At best, my car stays shiny for about a week and then it rains and fudges it all up.

Does ANYONE have any bright ideas on how to prolong that shine?
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

theres nothing you can do about melbournes weather.. i washed my car this morning before 02NV came over .. by now.. the rain has but those stupid dirty rain spots on the car again!!!

the only thing we can do is stop using things that harm the enviroment that cause the sh*tty/dirty rain
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Lol get a car cover. It's soo annoying black and dark blue (midnight blue) cars get sooo dirty easily. Dont' wash your car till winter's over.
Last time, if I'd just washed my car recently, I'd park it in the garage with a car cover on. Haven't had the time lately, but it sure keeps it clean as long as you don't meet anything on the way out...
Oh, wax your car so the rain just slides off and doesn't leave those marks everywhere, i.e. towards the bottom instead of all over your car.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Or you could build your house around your FTO and never take it out of the lounge room- lol.

A car cover may also help to keep ice off the windscreen during winter I think.

Another tip is that if you have just washed your car and it rains that day or the next day, try just giving it a hose down as soon as possible. The shine from your wash will help the water bead, and the clean water will help remove some of the dirt before it leaves marks.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

heehheh Or sell your car, & just get another colour!!!!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

or ride a bicycle (hmm this isn't helping is it?) hehe
M@
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

LOL
Constructive and not so constructive suggestions appreciated.
None of u suggested installing an umbrella into the roof :lol:

The hose idea is good MattG, but not doable while Stage 2 water restrictions are on. Will be OK if it gets downgraded back to Stage 1.

I was actually hoping there would be some magic product on the market........hmmm now there's an idea.
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

You could always cover the Car in Rain-X.. it works for the windscreen
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i have learnt to live with melb's weather, though i still curse and swear at it when it gets cold, windy & wet or when it's stinking hot like hell...
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

i have learnt to live with melb's weather, though i still curse and swear at it when it gets cold, windy & wet or when it's stinking hot like hell...
Heh, and that's all in the one day!

M@
Cohn
Grease Monkey

Post by Cohn »

ahh yes... well why don't you come to the land of happiness and sunshine...

Sydney!!!

WHY ARE YOU IN MELBOURNE??, how can you treat your FTO's with such disrespect???! :twisted:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

haahaha we get acid rain here too, and I have a blue car, and its almost pointless to wash it, when i first got it i washed it like every few day (proper wash one day and chamoise itdry other days)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Cohn wrote:ahh yes... well why don't you come to the land of happiness and sunshine...

Sydney!!!
pffft... i beg to differ....!! :P

i'd rather freeze my nuts off or have my bum roasted in melb weather rather than having the cops or RTA in sydney making a meal out of my arse all the time!!

...and i won't even go into the many negative opinions about Sydney from friends/colleagues who have been there on vacation/work!

which is why melbourne is officially the world's best and most liveable city! :P :twisted: :wink:
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

.....and the winner is Melbourne!!!! :lol:

Yeah we sometimes get 4 seasons in one day, but I think most of us have gotten used to that. Now I watch the 7 day weather forecast, and if there is a streak of sunny days with no chance of rain, I RUN like hell to give my car a WASH. Drying it with a chamois afterwards (a necessity for black cars) usually takes longer than the wash itself, especially when it's fricken cold out and the drops won't evaporate.

The price WE pay for owning a beautiful car like an FTO 8)
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

bye livable do you mean u get every single possible living condition in 3 hours ?