Advice on Non-Starter

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Kace
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Advice on Non-Starter

Post by Kace »

Hi all, greetings from the Emerald Isle !

I have a problem that has me stumped so I said I should probably throw it out there to the largest concentration of FTO members (probably) on the planet.

At present I have a non-starting FTO that hasn't been driven often over the past 6 months. It would jump start for me OK over the past couple of weeks but the diagnostic was flashing a Vacuum / Map sensor error code #32. I thought this was the issue so went about trying to source one.

In the meantime I left the car for another week or so then tried to start again - but no joy. It doesn't turn over at all - barely a sound (maybe a faint noise) when I turn the key. I have also connected a wire directly to the starter and it still doesn't even make a sound when connected up - no crank at all.

OK - so it's the starter motor I think to myself. However I run the diagnostic again and I get a constant quickly flashing engine light. Now I know that the constant flashing light at about 1 flash per second is standard for 'All is OK', however I am getting about 2 flashes per second constantly.

I have never heard about or read about this condition in my 14 years of Mivec experience. Has anyone else ?

So next I'm still thinking my starter must be fried somehow, so that's the next thing I'm thinking about replacing. Any words of wisdom from anyone out there on this one ? Help much appreciated .....
| Silver 95 GPX Manual with world's only FTO Roof Rack | Longest standing FTO owner in Ireland - 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line Special Edition |
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: Advice on Non-Starter

Post by dstocks »

Try hooking 12 volts directly to the starter and see if it fires. A jumper pack should do it. If you get nothing then starter is stuffed. If it fires and engages, then thats not it.

Welcome to the club BTW.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Kace
    Apprentice

Post by Kace »

Thanks - I have actually tried that with a wire directly from the battery positive to the starter. This has worked successfully for me in the past so I'm familiar with the method.

You've convinced me - it must actually be my starter then. I can't think of anything else and the starter motor isn't fused as far as I know.

The thing that's throwing me is the constant flashing diagnostic (2 per second). I would not have thought that a dodgy starter motor should cause this reaction at the diagnostic check.
    | Silver 95 GPX Manual with world's only FTO Roof Rack | Longest standing FTO owner in Ireland - 20 years MIVEC experience |
    Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Good luck on finding the fault!

P.S. Give me your roof racks! :lol:
    Kace
    Apprentice

Post by Kace »

Astron_Boy wrote:Good luck on finding the fault!

P.S. Give me your roof racks! :lol:
    No way dude - can't you see from my signature - it's the only one in the world !!! ;)

Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Well known.

I searched for months trying to source.

Went to Thule distributors, contacted them direct, etc.
    No joy. nothing that will even fit. :(
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

GPX Manual with world's only FTO Roof Rack
    Wrong! Ive got them on the shelf in my garage (over 2 years now). Dont normally run with them fitted, but I do have them! ;) Also, roof racks were a factory option, so there are bound to be a few kicking around. Mine arent genuine though, I have inno. Thule isnt genuine either. The factory racks are another brand again. I do have the genuine factory ski rack attachments though.

BTW, if starter does not fire when applying direct current, may be worth removing it and trying with it out as if for some reason the flywheel is jammed, it will behave as though its buggered as well.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Astron_Boy
      Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

dstocks wrote:Wrong! Ive got them on the shelf in my garage (over 2 years now). Dont normally run with them fitted, but I do have them!
      8-O
      Had I known they were there.
      They would no longer be there! :lol:
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Astron_Boy
        Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Cupcake!
        Kace
        Apprentice

Post by Kace »

dstocks wrote:
        Wrong! Ive got them on the shelf in my garage (over 2 years now). Dont normally run with them fitted, but I do have them! ;) Also, roof racks were a factory option, so there are bound to be a few kicking around. Mine arent genuine though, I have inno. Thule isnt genuine either. The factory racks are another brand again. I do have the genuine factory ski rack attachments though.
        Ah dstocks you have just ruined my dream there - I thought I really had something unique there ;-)
        dstocks wrote: BTW, if starter does not fire when applying direct current, may be worth removing it and trying with it out as if for some reason the flywheel is jammed, it will behave as though its buggered as well.
        Yeah - I need to do that. Thanks
        Vectose
        Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You need to change your signature now. :lol:
        Bennoz wrote:
        Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
        A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I thought I really had something unique there

Sorry. Because of the contacts I have in Japan and the factive owned 25 FTO's +, have been able to get quite a lot of the factory option stuff. In the end, have never actually used the roof racks to carry anything, just wanted a set for the same reason you did (ended up costing mean absolute packet to get them). There are a few things id love to snag though. Factory car cover at the top of that list. Got the padded cup holder centre console and the car came with the kickplates. Have owned one with the parking sensors. Have the cibie factory fog upgrades as well.

Anyway, sorry to destroy your dream ;)
          Sahin
          HULK

Post by Sahin »

dstocks wrote:

Sorry. Because of the contacts I have in Japan and the factive owned 25 FTO's +, have been able to get quite a lot of the factory option stuff. In the end, have never actually used the roof racks to carry anything, just wanted a set for the same reason you did (ended up costing mean absolute packet to get them). There are a few things id love to snag though. Factory car cover at the top of that list. Got the padded cup holder centre console and the car came with the kickplates. Have owned one with the parking sensors. Have the cibie factory fog upgrades as well.

Dwayne I need a knee pad still!
          Kace
          Apprentice

Post by Kace »

dstocks wrote:

Wow !!!

25 FTOs !!! Double Wow !!!

You sound like the King of FTO there. Maybe I should change my signature to the most used roof rack in the world then :pirat:

I have carried beds, furniture, windsurfing gear etc. on the FTO much to the amusement of neighbours and passers-by.
          Astron_Boy
          Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Kace wrote:
          dstocks wrote:

Wow !!!

25 FTOs !!! Double Wow !!!

You sound like the King of FTO there. Maybe I should change my signature to the most used roof rack in the world then :pirat:

I have carried beds, furniture, windsurfing gear etc. on the FTO much to the amusement of neighbours and passers-by.
          Nice!

At least I have a tow bar. :lol:
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

You sound like the King of FTO there. Maybe I should change my signature to the most used roof rack in the world then

Yep, you win hands down on that count. I think its probably safe to say ive owned more than anyone else (I have 5 atm, although 1 is pretty much stripped and another is a simulator)

Anyway, let us know how you go with the starter.
          At least I have a tow bar.
          Cant say there would be too many of those floating about. No factory option there....
          Dwayne I need a knee pad still!
          Actually thats one thing that has eluded me. I will have one eventually. Rockit has one
            Astron_Boy
            Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

dstocks wrote:No factory option there....
            Yeah.
            Technikhaus
            Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

There was a couple of FTOs here for sale with tow bars :)
            Man '96 FTO GPX
            Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
            Man '90 MR2 GT
            Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
            Daniel2019
            Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Why do you need knee pads Shane-o? :troll:

I believe HKS had them as well?

And WTTC!
            I fix cars.
            Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
            bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.