General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Steering issues... Again

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Hey guys,
It looks like I'm STILL having issues with the car where the car is steering to the left quite a bit.

I replaced all struts and springs and had a 4 wheel alignment done today, but it didn't change much. I'm taking the car in next week to have it looked at again, at the expense of the last of my savings for the year. Apparently nothing was broken on the car so something is up.

He also said the front shocks are extremely stiff for what they should be, they are KYB shocks with Pedders springs that I got off Taz. Are all FTO's like this?

Any ideas what could cause the issue?
Thanks
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Re: Steering issues... Again

Post by shadowarrior »

I also have little pull towards the left. :\
(same pinch)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Should post up your alignment sheet.

That way we can tell if they are using the correct settings and if u have any bent control arms..
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

specs wont tell sh*t bout control arms either castor or camber is out on one side or possibly could be tyre pull. try swapping tyres left to right or front to rear
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

vipfto wrote:specs wont tell sh*t bout control arms either castor or camber is out on one side or possibly could be tyre pull. try swapping tyres left to right or front to rear

It certainly would. They show castor and camber on the sheet!!!
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Yes. They do but that does not mean control arm could be a number of things that takes visual inspection
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

How could you tell if the control arms are bent, are there obvious signs? If it was February next year when I have money I woud have just got control arms from the forums and fitted my new bushes and ball joints to them, unfortunately funds are very tight at the moment so that probably won't be an option unless I discover they are in fact bent :P

Here's the wheel alignment sheet:
After driving home it feels MUCH better than earlier today, but still not like I want it. The car started wobblying over 70kmph, scared the sh*t out of me especially seeing as I had to go on a 100kmph freeway :\

vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Slight cross camber won't make it pull hard. Def try swapping round tyres check pressures and condition. Also are springs seated correctly into struts if not will cause it.
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Oh may also be collapsed bush won't show on specs either but may push left wheel back under load causing less castor
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I've tried swapping tyres and checking pressures, no luck. The pulling to the left happened before I changed all struts and springs, so it's not that.

It could be a collapsed bush, I guess they will discover that when I take it in for a service next week.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

vipfto wrote:Oh may also be collapsed bush won't show on specs either but may push left wheel back under load causing less castor
Which bush would that be? Rear arm trailing bush?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Rear control arm bush mate but best too do both front and rear at same time
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

-Nighthawk- wrote:How could you tell if the control arms are bent, are there obvious signs? If it was February next year when I have money I woud have just got control arms from the forums and fitted my new bushes and ball joints to them, unfortunately funds are very tight at the moment so that probably won't be an option unless I discover they are in fact bent :P

Here's the wheel alignment sheet:
After driving home it feels MUCH better than earlier today, but still not like I want it. The car started wobblying over 70kmph, scared the sh*t out of me especially seeing as I had to go on a 100kmph freeway :\

Alignment is still fecked after they have done the dodgy report. Call them and ask them what alignment data they used for your car.

Going by the report you def have bent something on the front end. The rear is fecked still the toe is all out. Where are the steering angle measurements??

Take it somewhere else mate. A proper report looks nothing like that.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Well the whole strut assembly was changed, other than that I've never had any accidents in this car. I'm pretty sure the front passenger side had a knock in it's life, but that's as far as I know :\

Might not take the car to them if they got the wheel alignment wrong again. Want to find what the issue is with my car turning left before I fork out more cash on a wheel alignment again :(

Edit: that's as technical as they got with the sheet. I've had an alignment done at another mechanic before but the steering to the left issue remained.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Your toe was 16mm which is fecked. So you either wacked something hard both ends or you have been taken for a ride.

Factory spec is 0mm with a tolerance of 2.1mm +/- I was at -6.1mm by using my eyes in my garage at home! You were at 16mm?? Doesn't make sense. Ill post a pic of how it should look like with proper alignment data to compare. You then will notice how far out your alignment is still out!
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

So your front wheels have more camber than standard fto rears? That would be very noticeable by eye.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Its probably just 1.6mm just a sh*tty wheel aligner with no brain, surely old mate would say something to nighthawk if it was 16mm out.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Ha didn't see the decimal!! iPhone.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

payaya wrote:Ha didn't see the decimal!! iPayaya.
:?