National Code of Practice (NCOP)

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

den0va
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

National Code of Practice (NCOP)

Post by den0va »

Not sure if people are aware but apparently from 1st of November (effective now), the Australian Government will phase in a national standard when it comes to vehicle modification and construction. Too much reading for me, but may prove useful to some people :lol:

Check this out:http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Re: National Code of Practice (NCOP)

Post by aza013 »

Will have to give it the once over later tonight.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

*Bookmarked*
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

I got LA, LB, LG.
Should have stamped another LM & LO1-2 when I was at it. :(
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

SECTION LS TYRES, RIMS, SUSPENSION AND STEERING wrote:4.9 STEERING WHEELS
Replacement steering wheels must not affect compliance with ADR 10 (after 1970) and ADR 69
(after June 1995). Unless a steering wheel is marked, or has accompanying information, as
having been tested to the appropriate ADR, it must not be used as a replacement.
In addition,
for vehicles required to comply with ADR 69, the steering wheel assembly must be identical to
one fitted as an option to the same model by the vehicle manufacturer, or alternatively, a
steering wheel that has been certified by the replacement wheel manufacturer as a complying
wheel for the specific make and model may be used.
Replacement steering wheels should not be less than 330mm in diameter. If the original
steering wheel was designed with a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel should be
of a similar design.
Removable steering wheels must not be fitted.
8O
Hmmmm, I wonder if I will pass my next pink slip :scratch:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Some rules on wheels and tyres......
SECTION LS TYRES, RIMS, SUSPENSION AND STEERING wrote:4 BASIC MODIFICATIONS WITHOUT CERTIFICATION
The following modifications may be carried out without certification under an LK Code, provided
that the vehicle continues to comply with relevant ADRs and AVSR and provided that the
vehicle meets the following general safety requirements.

4.2 NON-STANDARD TYRES AND RIMS
When wheels that do not comply with the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications are fitted to a
vehicle with standard axles and suspension, the following requirements must be met:

4.2.2 Wheel Attachment
Replacement wheels must be designed for the particular hub/axle and have the same bolt/stud
pitch circle diameter and the same centre location method. The wheel nuts or bolts must have
the same tapers as the wheel. Wheels with slotted bolt/stud holes must not be used.
Replacement aluminium alloy rims must be located on the hub/axle by the same diameter
centre spigot as the original wheel, using suitable adaptor rings where necessary.
Wheel nuts and bolts must have a thread engagement length at least equal to the thread
diameter, except where specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer.
Wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and
the road wheel must not be used unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle
manufacturer.
Modifications to disc brake callipers, hubs and suspension and steering components to enable
the fitting of replacement wheels must not be undertaken.

4.2.3 Clearance
No part of the wheel must touch any part of the body, chassis, steering, braking system or
suspension under any operating condition. To check this, the vehicle must be fully laden and
capable of negotiating raised obstacles that would normally be encountered whilst driving such
as speed humps and driveway entries. This test should be conducted from lock to lock without
any part of the rim or tyre contacting any other part of the vehicle. Test weight for passengers is
68kg plus 15kg per person for luggage where luggage space is provided.
The wheels must be contained within the bodywork, or mudguards (including flares) when the
wheels are in the straight ahead position.
Steering and/or suspension stops must not be modified to provide clearance for wheels.

4.2.4 Overall Nominal Diameter
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not
be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle
manufacturer for that model.

4.2.8 Maximum Passenger Car Tyre and Rim Width
Tyres fitted to passenger cars or passenger car derivatives must not be more than 30% wider
than vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.
The rim width must not exceed the recommendations for the tyre fitted.
For example, if the original widest optional tyre is 185mm, the maximum tyre width is 1.3 times
185mm = 240.5mm, i.e. a 235mm wide tyre. The maximum rim width for a 235mm tyre is
9 inches if the aspect ratio is 60 or below.

4.2.9 Passenger Car Wheel Track
The wheel track of passenger cars (or derivatives) must not be increased by more than 25mm
beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. This
means that the rim offset must not be changed by more than 12.5mm.
Reduction in wheel track must not be performed without approval of the relevant Registration
Authority.
On vehicles with diagonally split brake systems, the front wheel offset (and front wheel track)
should remain as original, except where the original manufacturer specifies differently with
optional rims for a particular model.

4.5 INNER MUDGUARD MODIFICATION
Inner mudguards may be extended to form wheel tubs to accommodate larger wheels and tyres
provided that:
 the vehicle structure is not weakened;
 seat anchorages or seatbelt anchorages are not weakened;
 body modifications are not undertaken within 200mm of any seat anchorage or seatbelt anchorage;
 the wheels or tyres do not protrude beyond the bodywork of the vehicle when viewed from above;
 the wheels or tyres do not contact any part of the vehicle’s steering or suspension, brake lines or bodywork for the full range of suspension movement;
 the maximum allowable rim and tyre sizes are not exceeded;
 the maximum and minimum allowable track is not exceeded;
 there are no sharp or dangerous projections;
 the vehicle’s maximum dimension limits are not exceeded; and
 the vehicle’s ground clearance remains within legal limits.
Last edited by PHIL069 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Well, it's about time.
But means I have to do reading a-bloody-gain.

Wonder if my wagon can even be legal anymore. :roll:

EDIT: /sigh, this just raises more questions which no-one will be able to answer at the RMS.
4.1 MANUFACTURER’S OPTIONAL ENGINE INSTALLATION
Substituting the original engine with a manufacturer’s optional engine is a modification that does
not require certification. However, any other components (such as brakes, transmissions,
suspension, exhaust, etc.) that were packaged by the manufacturer as part of the original
specification for the optional engine must also be fitted.
The following modifications may be performed under Code LA2:
 Fitting of a replacement engine with more than 20% greater mass and/or power output
than engines offered by the first manufacturer as a standard or optional engine in
accordance with guidelines set out in Specific Requirements.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Can't they just write do this don't do this sometimes this if the following
Like omg we r not all masters in English and legal document writing lol but it's like any rules u will really only get done if u be stupid or be smart to the police no one ever goes by the letter
gotta get there one day :)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

ZFL45H1 wrote:Like omg we r not all masters in English
I can tell you aren't. :troll:

It's more the contradiction and lack of a clear definitive answer, over it using big words.

In the end, they have 4 statements for engine modification, 2 of which have contradictions.
I haven't even begun to look at the rest.

But more or less, the reason they do all this, is they'd rather you left the car alone.

My car, my money. *but they think otherwise*.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Nar wasn't trolling was serious but that's true I think rule r a little to strict as u said my money my car my life as long as I don't kill anyone or crash who cares
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

ZFL45H1 wrote:Nar wasn't trolling was serious but that's true I think rule r a little to strict as u said my money my car my life as long as I don't kill anyone or crash who cares
Move up to qld then :lol:

No pink slips.

Just don't get caught.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

2.1.1 Steering Behaviour
Fitting wider rims and tyres usually involves altering the steering scrub radius. This can result in
unpredictable steering response characteristics.
Or, improved steering response characteristics.
Point in case, an old 60s model VW Beetle with 4" wide wheels. :roll:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy wrote:
2.1.1 Steering Behaviour
Fitting wider rims and tyres usually involves altering the steering scrub radius. This can result in
unpredictable steering response characteristics.
Or, improved steering response characteristics.
Point in case, an old 60s model VW Beetle with 4" wide wheels. :roll:
Yeah but you see all the ambiguity at the end of each section?

Blah, blah, blah, blah, must not do blah, blah, blah, blah

"Unless signed off by trained certified person(s)" etc - its at the end of every second paragraph :lol:
Not to mention all the stuff that contradicts the other stuff... bit like the bible really :lol:

Oh & according to these parts, an FTO of say 1200kgs can have a 6000cc (6 Litre) naturally aspirated motor (1200 x 5 = 6000) :cheers:
Or, an FTO of say 1200kgs can have a 3600cc (3.6 Litre) boosted motor (1200 x 3 = 3600) :cheers:

That's it, I'm dumping a crate LS2 donk in my FTO!
Astron_Boy wrote: The following modifications may be performed under Code LA2:
 Fitting of a replacement engine with more than 20% greater mass and/or power output
than engines offered by the first manufacturer as a standard or optional engine in
accordance with guidelines set out in Specific Requirements.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Did just save that photo I haven't got that far yet imagine the possibilities so many now :lol: 4g63 and boost the sh*t out of it haha
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Whats more fun is anything 800kg or less can run a 4g63t, or any 2.4L NA engine.
Imagine a 600hp 4g in a starlet :lol:

Or yes, case and point an LS1/2 in an FTO. Silly silly gvt, you will allow all this sh*t, its perfectly 'safe' and legal, but no H pattern etc is illegal? dafuq
Aint that just a big :thebird: to the tuning community..
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

No that would be exciting Taz :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Yeah, read that also Bennoz.

Tempted to grab that c43 AMG motor I spotted a while ago and upgrade my Merc. :lol: