HID legality

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ebmp19
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

HID legality

Post by ebmp19 »

If I buy an FTO from another state I will have to change the rego to ACT. I was wondering if HID lights on the FTO are legal as I don't think they are in other countries. If not do they check it when they do a roadworthy?
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Re: HID legality

Post by Astron_Boy »

Factory HID yes.
Aftermarket, no.
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

Any idea about the second part?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

they will most likely overlook them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Roadworthy checks absolutely everything.
Unless you have some dodgy bugger who lets half a working car through.

If it's not factory, then they won't pass it.

However, line 2 can still apply.
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

So how much do you think it will cost to change the lights back to stock if they fail the car?
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

When I did my RWC on Dwayne's car (transferred from NSW rego to QLD rego) it had no problem with the installed HID during RWC. Isn't having any HID on any FTO imported is non-legal according to import norms? (Needs some kind of an angle adjuster something something installed so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic? :|)

Am sure if you take it to your regular mechanic (where you take your other/family cars) he can overlook it if it looks close to stock or around 4300-5000K, unless you have one of those fully sick violet HID kits :\
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

I think the more pressing concern over finding out whether or not you can get arounf a RWC is that if you crash, with those in and they're illegal - insurance will wipe you if they find out, its that simple.
anything illegal on a car immediately voids any contract between you and an insurer (as its no longer the car they insured - or you lied to them about what they are insuring, either way)
This is why i dont have comprehensive anymore, as i know for a fact if i had an accident id get wiped in an instant - seen it happen too many times. Thats how some of these companies make all theyre money, wriggling out of payouts
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

How can you tell if they are factory or after market HIDs ?
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

factory HIDs are mounted under the headlight, anything else isnt stock - and factory HIDs are fairly rare these days as most were ripped out on compliance
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Taz wrote:I think the more pressing concern over finding out whether or not you can get arounf a RWC is that if you crash, with those in and they're illegal - insurance will wipe you if they find out, its that simple.
anything illegal on a car immediately voids any contract between you and an insurer (as its no longer the car they insured - or you lied to them about what they are insuring, either way)
This is why i dont have comprehensive anymore, as i know for a fact if i had an accident id get wiped in an instant - seen it happen too many times. Thats how some of these companies make all theyre money, wriggling out of payouts

But if you inform your insurer that you have Hids when you are taking the insurance? Shannon asked me if i had Hids on my car and I said yes. They agreed to cover me with them. Says in the cover under the category 'included mods we have agreed to cover'.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

What do you mean mounted under the headlight? So there are the normal headlights and then HIDs underneath?
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

shadowarrior wrote: But if you inform your insurer that you have Hids when you are taking the insurance? Shannon asked me if i had Hids on my car and I said yes. They agreed to cover me with them. Says in the cover under the category 'included mods we have agreed to cover'.

I think if you read the insurance agreement it will say you are not covered if the mods are not legal
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

shadowarrior wrote:
Taz wrote:I think the more pressing concern over finding out whether or not you can get arounf a RWC is that if you crash, with those in and they're illegal - insurance will wipe you if they find out, its that simple.

But if you inform your insurer that you have Hids when you are taking the insurance? Shannon asked me if i had Hids on my car and I said yes. They agreed to cover me with them. Says in the cover under the category 'included mods we have agreed to cover'.

I would recommend ringing them up and informing them that they are an illegal mod, in case they have just assumed that they are all legal.
If it it all good with them, then your definitely paying a hefty cost to have them covered.
Im sure theres many many other things that are illegal that you probably dont realise on your car right now that shannons dont or wont cover etc. Usually how it works :lol:
Just dont trust insurers anymore after what ive seen - theyre all just out to make more money over doing whats morally right. Damn weasels the lot of them
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Fark!! Damn insurers! Thanks for the heads up:|
Am gonna take a pic of my HID and post here just to make sure.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

he might be covered though if an agreement is reached - i think i remember aza stating his carbon bonnet was covered as an agreement with just car or something. But yes i would ring them and double check, jsut in case. No point in paying for something thats not going to payout when it matters right?
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

Taz wrote:factory HIDs are mounted under the headlight, anything else isnt stock - and factory HIDs are fairly rare these days as most were ripped out on compliance
What do you mean mounted under the headlight? So there are the normal headlights and then HIDs underneath?
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

no, im talking about the ballast/the box.
The bulb is still in the usual place, but the box instead of being mounted in the engine bay somewhere is mounted under the rear of the headlight
ebmp19
Apprentice

Post by ebmp19 »

Were HIDs a factory option for a 97 GPX?
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1351164976792.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1351164997270.jpg