LSD

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

LSD

Post by G1 »

Ok who has fitted an aftermarket one?? Did you fit a 1, 1.5 or 2 way?
any comments? Brand? price?

Anyone else interested??

I heard 2 way is best for lauching and stopping.... 1, 1.5 way for cornering....

Enlighten me
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

ye i've got one.

Cusco not sure what way though?

how can u check?
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

ye i've got one.

Cusco not sure what way though?

how can u check?
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

sorry to ask, but what is a LSD? thanks hehe
bennieboy
Apprentice

LSD

Post by bennieboy »

YYGirl,

LSD is a Limited Slip Differential
I do not know what the exact technical details are but I know what it does.

It helps cars take off better , i think by improving the traction so there is less wheel spin

and as G1 just informed me helps in stopping and cornering

benny
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

pretty sure ABS is for stopping...

LSD puts more power to the wheel which has more grip when turning a corner, meaning more power to the ground on corners
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh, thanks! so thats another little computer in the engine isn't it? cost wise?
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

no its a mechanical thing, GPvRs come with it standard, and its what makes DC2s (Teggy-Rs) handle so well

cost youre looking at around $2000 for a decent one... can go upto 3-4 grand..
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

let's do some learning kids! :mrgreen:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential1.htm

aint the internet a wonderful thing.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

LSD is a mechanical device which transfers the engine's torque onto the driving wheels, hence delivering more power to the ground. a fully locked LSD (aka diff) is best used for drag launches or for straightline duties, whereas 1/1.5 is used for track-racing to assist in mid corner grip (just like the Type-R).

there are aftermarket units available from Cusco, though i highly doubt they are fully locked ones (as most people would modify their FTOs for track racing duties)
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

maybe i got 1?

cause my car was built for racing.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

how do you find out?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

d_stroy_r wrote:how do you find out?
you'll probably have to take the LSD off and check the part/model number from the manufacturer and check on the website... 8O
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

ill just go check out cusco site (if they have 1)?
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

another way to check is do you spin both wheels or just the front left

if both spin you have a lsd

(you know when you are leaving your mark on the road)
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

I'm getting a Cusco LSD 1-way, I'll take pictures and post it up.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

actually im having second thought about the LSD, if anyone wants a Cusco LSD for $1700 then let me know.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

It's a mechanical one-way LSD
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Some good info on LSD from http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/jan ... ask_sarah/

Q: Ok, I hate laying power down to just one wheel. Is there a limited slip differential (viscous) for my 93' 240sx and if so, where??

Sarah: With an open diff, torque is transferred to both wheels, with more going to the wheel spinning fastest. Since it is easier to spin a wheel that isn't gripping, that wheel gets more power applied to it, increasing any traction problems. A limited slip differential applies torque to the wheel spinning the slowest. If one wheel loses traction, power is transferred to the other wheel. A viscous limited slip differential uses a series of stacked slotted discs attached to the ends of each axle shaft, with silicon fluid between them. When one wheel loses grip, the discs coupled to that wheel will rotate quicker than the others. This causes friction between the two discs that heat up the silicon fluid. The silicon expands and pushes the discs together, locking them and transferring more power to the wheel with grip. Most stock Nissan LSD's , such as the 350Z, G35, and older Altimas (newer ones are open diff) are the viscous type. They are smooth but not as great at transferring power.

A mechanical limited slip transfers torque to the slower spinning wheel by using a spring loaded or cam actuated multi-plate clutch between the axles. Mechanical LSD's can be the most efficient LSDs but they can be noisy and rough in operation. Some Nissan trucks and Pathfinders use this sort of diff. Most aftermarket LSD's are clutch type as well. The cam actuated clutch type diffs can be classified as one way, 1.5 way and 2 way. The 1 way diffs work during acceleration. The 1.5 way diffs work slightly while the car is braking as well. A 1 way or 1.5 way works best on FWD cars or cars not used for hardcore road racing. The 2 way diffs work during acceleration and braking. Two ways work best for drag racing, hardcore road racing on high-powered cars and for drifting. The cams mounts in the differential over the pinion shafts and applies a wedging force to the clutch plates when the axles spin at different speeds. The cam profile determines if the diff is going to be a 1 way, a 1.5 way or a 2 way. The final type is the helical gear, which have longer angled teeth that can mesh two unparallel shafts. The stock 6 speed Spec-V's and Maximas, and the Quaife are of this type. These diffs use the fact that a spur gear can turn a worm gear but not vice versa, to provide the locking action. They are very smooth in operation and also have good locking capacity.

There are a few ways to check for the LSD's if you're looking through the junkyard. There should be an orange sticker on the differential that identifies it as an LSD. Otherwise, jack the car up, put it in gear, and spin one wheel by hand. An open diff will spin both tires freely, in opposite directions. With a VSLD, the other wheel will be more difficult to spin but spins in the same direction. This is a fairly straightforward install for most wrench monkeys but be careful- the differential is heavy! Support its weight with a jack to avoid getting crushed like a soda can beneath the tire of a semi truck. You also need to switch to LSD fluid or add an LSD additive after the install.

also read http://www.kaazusa.com/answers.html
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

G1 wrote:actually im having second thought about the LSD, if anyone wants a Cusco LSD for $1700 then let me know.
why? where did you buy it from?