new clutch needed (queensland)

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

10FTO
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

new clutch needed (queensland)

Post by 10FTO »

just looking for some advise on clutch types and brands to look for , , mine has finally given up and im not sure what to put back in there ...

any help would be great ,,,, brand , price , and where to get ...

cheers adam .
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

exceedy Heavy duty cost around the 400 mark, prob best bet. try ebay have seen them there ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
10FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by 10FTO »

sweet as , i have been thinking xeedy , and you may have convinced me ,,, cheers
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Agree with above ^

http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx? ... owId=63330

MBK 7277 HD is a great clutch. Not too heavy either.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

How hard is it to change a clutch too btw? I had mine done not long ago but jw
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Its a pain in the ass if you dont have a hoist.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

remove gearbox (pain in arse without hoist and pain with one) remove clutch and flywheel get it machined or replace put on new clutch (all lined up correctly) new thrust bearing etc and put back together (pain in arse) oh you will have to remove drive shaft too (pain in arse) and linkages etc
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Okay so its not something a Everyday Normal Guy(youtube) could do :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw
10FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by 10FTO »

ok great , got the clutch kit through NPC , and now can anyone recomend a good mechanic in brissy , preferrably sth side ???
Apothus
Apprentice

Post by Apothus »

I just changed my clutch, i put a small step by step guide onto the forum a little while ago. I just replaced mine with a stock clutch, i forget the name of it now, maybe a sabco brand off the top of my head. I know everyone recomends exceedy etc but the reality is that this is my daily drive and i have no mods. So the standard version would be fine, my mate took great delight in pointing out that it had Sonata taxi stamped on it.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Rather than starting a new topic...

Would this clutch offered by Camskill be just as good as an Exedy Heavy Duty? It's made by Exedy, but when it was formally known as Daikin. Apparently it's the standard clutch from the EVO 1,2,3. I just wonder because it's sooo much cheaper than getting a Heavy Duty.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... b0s12p7606

Orrr would getting the Exedy organic race clutch be better, because it is also quite cheap?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

not a HD clutch more a generic factory one and would be cheaper to buy same type from here
should be round $400 for HD clutch
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Isn't the organic worth more than the HD in our currency?

It's really cheap from camskill so would it be better to get that, or would it not be suitable for everday driving (taking into account the fact that I do tend to drive hard)?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

That may be cheap, but it would cost a bomb to freight. They are reasonably heavy things.

I have previously used the Excedy Sports Organic (specific to the FTO) & it was fine with my old motor (including nos) and it wasn't that expensive from memory. I think I picked it up for about $340.

Im currently using the same clutch but specific to the EVO III, same clutch plate but the pressure plate is 1 tonne (up from the FTO version of 750kg)

It holds 230+ kws without issue, but is quite heavy to press. Can be a pain in the ass in traffic.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Well considering all of the local stores want to charge me $500+ for the Exedy Heavy Duty, it would still be cheaper to buy one of the clutches from Camskill and have it shipped, wouldn't it?

So which clutch would be more suited to my everyday spirited driving? The stock EVO 3 clutch, or the Exedy Sports Organic(FTO specific)

I'm sorry about this. I have no idea and I'm really poor and trying to keep the cost down because I also need to purchase a new catback and get my camseals replaced :(
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Dan I got some options for you. You can try calling Multispares at coopers plains, 131615. They're a truck place but they stock the exedy stuff. A member paid $360 last year for the heavy duty.

You could also try Elite racing developments at stapylton, 07 3807 2789. They'll basically source you the clutch and can fit it for a good price too. The mechanic there know's his sh*t inside and out. Elite may also be able to get you an NPC clutch made up. Npc's sh*t all over the exedy stuff. Clutch in my car can hold over 300rwkws yet the clutch feels stock.

Don't bother with the sports organic, unless you're running something crazy under the bonnet. Something heavy duty will do you nicely.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Wow, thanks Yano. I will definitely check them out next week when I'm in Brizzy.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yano wrote:Dan I got some options for you. You can try calling Multispares at coopers plains, 131615. They're a truck place but they stock the exedy stuff. A member paid $360 last year for the heavy duty.

You could also try Elite racing developments at stapylton, 07 3807 2789. They'll basically source you the clutch and can fit it for a good price too. The mechanic there know's his sh*t inside and out. Elite may also be able to get you an NPC clutch made up. Npc's sh*t all over the exedy stuff. Clutch in my car can hold over 300rwkws yet the clutch feels stock.

Don't bother with the sports organic, unless you're running something crazy under the bonnet. Something heavy duty will do you nicely.
WHile calling around to source a clutch i found that NPC clutches are just Excedy clutches & they don't modify them at all to make them stronger?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just what I've heard from a lot of the places I checked out.. even when I called & said that I wanted a 300KW ATW capable clutch they told me they just wanted to sell me an Excedy sports organic with an EVO Clutch disc instead of standard..

The clutch that was in it was already an Excedy Sprung Centre metal 5 button racing spec clutch, so I couldn't believe them that an organic kit wouldn't just break in 3 months..

I'm getting mine done by Jim Berry @ Race Clutches .. a bit pricey but he strengthens them loads from standard & can customise them to stay in alignment longer, therefore lst longer & have better clamping power.. really knows what he's talking about

Direct Clutches up @ Albion seemed okay & do all their own in house clutch mods to make them stronger, but decided not to go with them in the end.. couldn't give a straight quote, was always "it could be this much, but then again it could still be double that"
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

couldn't give a straight quote, was always "it could be this much, but then again it could still be double that"
It's really pissing me off how often I'm getting that lately. These people don't seem to understand that I don't have endless amounts of money and that's why I want to know how much something will cost BEFORE they go and do the work. Argh!

As for the clutch, I'm going to leave it for a couple of months, or until it breaks, because I've overspent in other areas unfortunately :oops:
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Nah NPC build their own clutches. But if they don't make a certain clutch, they'll just suggest an exedy.

Michael, honestly mate before you commit yourself to something Jim Berry is building you, do some research on him. I know someone that almost lost their legs thanks to a clutch kit he built using shotty parts.

If you have time, call Daniel at elite racing developments or better yet call and take your car over to him to look over. He should be able to put something together for you and he won't rip you off. The thing with ERD is that they'll charge you cost price on parts, so he doesn't make money off that sh*t. He's a top bloke too.