Stretched tyres

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

evoman
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Stretched tyres

Post by evoman »

Ahh man, I’m hating the lack of info on the FTO.

I have some Team Dynamics ProRace 18x8 +35 wheels sitting in my lounge room waiting for me to sort things out with, but I just can’t find all the info I need so I’m seriously considering giving up as I don’t have the money to trial and error.

I’d really like to lower it 49mm(front) 45mm(rear) on some Tein S-Tech’s as they seem to provide the flat look on 18’s that I am after, whilst still hopefully offering reasonable performance. However after spending all this money I don’t want to end up with a setup that scrubs like a bitch nor one that is stupidly impractical.

I THINK that this setup MIGHT work with some 215/35/18 tyres but now I am worried that this might adversely affect handling due to the stretching of the tyres.I would prefer to run 225/35 but I can't tell if this will work.

Is a 215/35 on 18x8 stretched much or is it still in a safe range? I’m hoping to get some SS595 federal tyres and they list 7-8â€
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

did u get the same rims as me?
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Yep, your pics turned me on.

I'd still like to know what your car looks like on the king springs if you happen to have a photo on you.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

your ok with 215 at a min but i would go the 225
I have another set of rims 18x8 which i havent fitted yet but will run 225/35 on them lowered on kings but can get away with 215 if really have too
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

stretched tyres are all for looks. my mates all roll on stretch's... only so they can get wider rims/more dish.

pros- preventing scrubbing with spring movement. look sick yo LOL

cons - loss of traction, easy to curb your wheels. many places dont stretch tyres onto wheels as its unsafe, so finding a place will be hard (pm me if your in sydney).
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Go with the 225s
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

J wrote:stretched tyres are all for looks. my mates all roll on stretch's... only so they can get wider rims/more dish.
mmmmm, not entirely, I went with stretched on my wagon, only by 10mm, simply to have less flex in the tyre wall for better cornering, loss of traction is negligable difference unless really pushing it from personal experience.
J wrote:cons -many places dont stretch tyres onto wheels as its unsafe, so finding a place will be hard (pm me if your in sydney).
ROFL
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

^^^ its illegal for shops to stretch a tyre that isn't recomended for a specific width of rim. bob jane said no :(

hopefully ''the shop'' wont have trouble putting a 215 on a 9'.

what rim width and tyre size were u running out of curiosity?
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

nah, I know it's illegal, was funny how you had 'pm me' at the end, meaning you knew a guy :P

Honestly, I cant remember my tyres.

Think they're 205x45 on 17x7.... i think.
the sedan with 17x6.5 takes 215 and fits flush on with a 45 profile.
Last edited by Astron_Boy on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

evoman wrote:Yep, your pics turned me on.

I'd still like to know what your car looks like on the king springs if you happen to have a photo on you.
oh really :(
thought i was going to be the only one with them!

nah i dont sorry mate as my car is still at the mechanics and hasnt moved for the past 4 months!

where did you get them from?
how much?
bjk
Totes

Re: Stretched tyres

Post by bjk »

To prove that us Gen-Yers can use the search function, and also field more wheel and tyre related questions without starting a new thread!

Is any amount of stretch on tyres bad? I know there are some ridiculous extremes, but would something like this be okay?

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?wi ... mit=Submit
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

A little bit of stretch isn't an issue. 245/40 on a 9" wheel is fine. But you will need to roll the guards.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Vectose wrote:A little bit of stretch isn't an issue. 245/40 on a 9" wheel is fine. But you will need to roll the guards.
I'm slightly worried about the inside of the fender closest to the door, which appears to be made of much more solid stuff than the guard liners haha. e.g. when turning a full lock left (or right), the "rear" part of the tyre hitting inside the fender.

I keep wondering whether it's worth the trouble, but I'd love a little bit of concave. Except most wheel designs are 9-9.5 inch wide when they start to do that.