Air Filter

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO_GPvR
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Air Filter

Post by FTO_GPvR »

ok im sure this has been discussed before but i wanna know what is the best air filter or pod filter (whatever you like to call it) is, which one would you gain the most HP or KW out of.
i was reading before someone said that the 3A Racing filter is good but then when these people put the filters into test the HKS gained an average of 8.5HP
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/performance/intakes/
but they didnt test the 3A racing filter and the the uni filter
so what gives the most KW or HP?
thanks
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

HKS pod gave the biggest kw gain. But the k&n pod wasn't far behind it. the power gained will also depend if its boxed in properly with a proper cold air feed.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

koolio1234 wrote:HKS pod gave the biggest kw gain. But the k&n pod wasn't far behind it. the power gained will also depend if its boxed in properly with a proper cold air feed.
yeah ok for example you buy a K&N filter with the K&N Apollo system thats boxed probably isnt that right?
Last edited by FTO_GPvR on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Not really, the apollo system has a shroud around it. Could be just as effective as having an enclosed air box. As far as filters go, i recommend a k&n with the extreme top. Half the price of the hks and was also used by our prez when he was n/a. I used one of these as well and they're hard to fault for the price. Keep in mind your intake piping is where you'll notice the most difference
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

yano28 wrote:Not really, the apollo system has a shroud around it. Could be just as effective as having an enclosed air box. As far as filters go, i recommend a k&n with the extreme top. Half the price of the hks and was also used by our prez when he was n/a. I used one of these as well and they're hard to fault for the price. Keep in mind your intake piping is where you'll notice the most difference
oh ok thanks for the info. then if i get the K&N with the extreme top i can fit that into the apollo isnt that basically the same as the enclosed air box. yeah i no, ive been looking for a ARC Air Intake also but i cant find one for sale
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Have you read this article?
go to:
http://www.australianauto.com.au/
air filters and kits - Ultimate filter shootout.

FYI only.
Tippin
Oldtimer

!

Post by Tippin »

zuihoujueding wrote:Have you read this article?
go to:

FYI only.
yep, this is what I posted up in a thread not long ago

I ended up getting the 3A racing filter and only for $30 + postage i think off ebay. The quality is very good and ive definately noticed some gains with the pod + new intake pipe and more when it is boxed.

I definitely recommend it because at the end of the day, no pod filter is going to give you substantial gains over the stock one on a NA engine but this one i believe has proven to be very cheap and effective. Sounds great too 8)
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

go to:

FYI only.
ok thanks for the link mate
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Re: !

Post by FTO_GPvR »

tippin9 wrote:
go to:

FYI only.
yep, this is what I posted up in a thread not long ago

I ended up getting the 3A racing filter and only for $30 + postage i think off ebay. The quality is very good and ive definately noticed some gains with the pod + new intake pipe and more when it is boxed.

I definitely recommend it because at the end of the day, no pod filter is going to give you substantial gains over the stock one on a NA engine but this one i believe has proven to be very cheap and effective. Sounds great too 8)
ok kool its very cheap compared to other pods. yeah im looking to get a ARC Air Intake but im having trouble in finding it :( and also im going to enclose it to with the K&N Apollo System.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

They dont make the ARC intakes any more, hence your finding it hard to source one.

Why not grab the last UAS pipe? I was out there last week & grabbed the 2nd last one for Kaz's car.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

is the last pipe in pumpkin color like Koolio?
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Bennoz wrote:They dont make the ARC intakes any more, hence your finding it hard to source one.

Why not grab the last UAS pipe? I was out there last week & grabbed the 2nd last one for Kaz's car.
yeah i no they discontinued it but im looking for a second hand one. umm ben can you show me a picture on how it looks like send a link or post a picture and what color in the intake is it chrome becuase Valandis91s one is black
cheers

EDIT DONE
Last edited by FTO_GPvR on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

ive got my UAS intake pipe with all clamps, Apexi Superflow Pod Filter, Heat Shield box and down pipe for sale....
$250 plus postage...
will be off my car in two weeks
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Valandis91 wrote:ive got my UAS intake pipe with all clamps, Apexi Superflow Pod Filter, Heat Shield box and down pipe for sale....
$250 plus postage...
will be off my car in two weeks
if you dont mind can you post pictures of it if you already havent done? or send a link. thanks
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

ok kool so this is your one? becuase this is Brezas one
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

yeah i bought it off him its the exact same one i can take some pics of it installed for u if u want!
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Valandis91 wrote:yeah i bought it off him its the exact same one i can take some pics of it installed for you if you want!
yeah if you dont mind and also the air intake is black is that right?
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

i will post them up tomorrow...
yeah its black but can be sprayed any colour
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Valandis91 wrote:i will post them up tomorrow...
yeah its black but can be sprayed any colour
what about chrome?