springs

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

redevil3883
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

springs

Post by redevil3883 »

i'm using a set of blienstar absober, would like to ask which brand of lowered springs is more suitable on it...
my mechanic told me that this sets of absober also can fit in a volvo s40...

thanks
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

DO you mean Bilstein? Well I think any brand of lowering springs will fit. Apexi, Tein, king etc...
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
redevil3883
Apprentice

Post by redevil3883 »

bushido wrote:DO you mean Bilstein? Well I think any brand of lowering springs will fit. Apexi, Tein, king etc...
oic ...
is bilstein..
i got try before is sparco red colour ,
can fix in but very not comfortable..
the sparco feel like very hard ..
if i put in apexi , tein or mayb eibach will more better ?
and will that not much different ?
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Brand doesnt really matter. It is all about what spring rate you are using. Higher the spring rate, the stiffer the ride will be. I think something around 8-9 kn/m and 5-6 at the back is comfortabel
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

bushido wrote:Brand doesnt really matter. It is all about what spring rate you are using. Higher the spring rate, the stiffer the ride will be. I think something around 8-9 kn/m and 5-6 at the back is comfortabel
No, that will be really hard i think. I thought the lower the number the softer they are. mine are about 5 and they are stiff. so go down to a 4 or 3 or even 2
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Guys c'mon...

Get the eibach springs. Good shiz. Even Bilstein dealers at heasman will recommend the eibach springs (really well made and good performance, and are cold rolled) on their bilstein shocks.

As for spring ratio, that's a hard call. Depends what you want ? Want to compromise a bit for less roll and better feel/handling - go 6 front and 4 rear. Want more comfy but also handling - then go maybe 4 front and 2.5 rear and get some thicker swaybars front and rear to cancel roll.

Tires will be a consideration too for handling and comfort. If you got low profile tires...might wanna consider a softer spring rate as the tires won't absorb much but won't flex much either giving a good driving feel.
redevil3883
Apprentice

Post by redevil3883 »

Delvance wrote:Guys c'mon...

Get the eibach springs. Good shiz. Even Bilstein dealers at heasman will recommend the eibach springs (really well made and good performance, and are cold rolled) on their bilstein shocks.

As for spring ratio, that's a hard call. Depends what you want ? Want to compromise a bit for less roll and better feel/handling - go 6 front and 4 rear. Want more comfy but also handling - then go maybe 4 front and 2.5 rear and get some thicker swaybars front and rear to cancel roll.

Tires will be a consideration too for handling and comfort. If you got low profile tires...might wanna consider a softer spring rate as the tires won't absorb much but won't flex much either giving a good driving feel.
thanks..
but few supplier told me that eibach don't have any spec for FTO..
it's have any model number ?
my tires is 235/40/17 , which model of eibach spring suitable ?
what is kn/m ?
sorry for my stupid question..
i'm really don't know about car ..
thanks..
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

I'd call Eibach themselves and get a part number if they have one. I'm not a 100% sure they do though but they're warehouse is in sydney.

Here try this
http://www.eibach.com.au/eibach_partners.html

Just call them and they'll be able to tell you if they have fto springs or not. If not, there are a couple of other spring companies that are really good quality too but i forget the names atm. Google will show i'm sure.

Your 40 profile tires are fairly low already...so you might consider the more comfort oriented range from eibach, else they've got the sportier range as well... i still wouldn't hesitate running the sporty range on 40 profile tires though.

Kg/mm is basically how strong the spring is. Higher the number, stronger it is.

Goodluck! Swaybars is an awesome consideration/addition for the fto btw if your spring/shocks can't offer enough vertical load resistance to cancel roll (e.g. when you've gone for comfort oriented equipment).
redevil3883
Apprentice

Post by redevil3883 »

okie... thanks ..
i'll try to search it...
any problem will disturb u guys again...
thanks a lot...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

My front springs are Eibach. They made them for me specifically. Give them an old spring which gives you the height you want, then tell them the spring rate you want. I think mine were 3.4kg/mm or something... I cant recall, its in another thread here somewhere. Eibach are the goods, cold rolled too.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Cost extra for the custom job Bennoz?

I'm of getting my Bilsteins re-built (softened up) next year.
redevil3883
Apprentice

Post by redevil3883 »

Bennoz wrote:My front springs are Eibach. They made them for me specifically.
oic...is that's mean eibach don't have any spec for fto ? or they can also do custom made ?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, was about $200 spring. They can make springs to suit anything. I never got round to talking to their marketing people to see if they actually wanted to run an FTO spring "off the shelf"
redevil3883
Apprentice

Post by redevil3883 »

contact with a eibach dealer , they ask me use proton spec lower spring , it's similar to fto. the model is 6105-140. any ideal...
redevil3883
Apprentice

Post by redevil3883 »

finally find out the spring rate , it's 35n/mm ( front ) & 28-53n/mm ( rear ). it's that suitable ? thanks
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Bennoz wrote:Yeah, was about $200 spring.
$200 a corner? Wow.