What year is my GPvR?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

TiNox
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What year is my GPvR?

Post by TiNox »

Hi Guys

I recently brought my first FTO, GP Version R. Its a 5-speed triptronic, compliance plate reads 9/98.

But the question is what is the year/month of manufacture?

On purchase I was told it is a 1995. On the rego papers in reads 1998 (is this based on complicance?). Then i read on the internet that they only started making the 5-speed tiptronics in 1997. So I am abit confused. Can anyone shed some light? is there any way i can check the year using the chassis/Vin number?

Cheers

TiNox
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

There should be a silver plate with your VIN number on it. I believe it also contains the factory and month/year of manufacture . . .

Well that's from memory =) It should be on the firewall
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

I checked everywhere in the engine bay and could not find it, ill check again tonight. But it should be there, every car has it thats why im abit confused.

Cheers mate
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I would be VERY concerned if it didn't have the manufacturing plate on it. The compliance plate is green, the manufacturing plate is a silver coloured metal.

In regards the transmission, the info is correct, 97 onwards for the 5 speed tip.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

It does have a manufactoring plate, but the date is not specified on it.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

That's a worry... any screwdriver marks around it? :wink:
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

haha no, not at all. Just all this other unuseful crap. :)

I have checked out the chassis code etc, and all seems right in terms of the codes relating to the model, transmission etc (i got the translation of the codes off the web)

The car was brought from a dealer, and I spoke to the previous owner as well (was there on consignment). It has full service history etc.

Ill take a photo of the plate and post it.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

which state are you based at? maybe one of us here can physically inspect it for you... what you've been 'told' is a load of crap... GPvRs were never made in 1995 and since you cannot find the build plate, i'd be seriously concerned about this.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I just went and checked my car ('95 GPX) and the manufacturers plate does not specify the year, although it has a few codes on it which perhaps could relate to year.

On the green compliance plate it has both the year the vehicle was made and the date it was complianed / first registered in Oz.
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

The build plate is there (the silver one) but as ruchi just said does not contain the date. I will double check the green plate tonight to see if it specifices any other date apart from the 9/98 compliance.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Phone northshore or collins mitsubishi,quote them your vin number (stamped on firewall) DE3A******* and they will be able to tell you the EXACT date of manufacture. Mine was born on 3rd december 1996 :wink:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

and you're a very proud parent :lol:
StuMcGrath

Post by StuMcGrath »

check the bottom of your front seat belts....there is a date of mfg(installation) on a white tab..

stu...
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

Thanks guys

After double checking the compliance plate and the seat belts its confirmed to be as i thought a 98.

When i first looked at the compliance plate i just saw the 9/98 and assumed that was complinace date, as thats what the car yard told me hah. So i bascially got a late 98 for the price of a 95. Happy :)

Thanks again dudes
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

How much did you pay for it and how many k's on the clock?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmmm didn't know GPvR comes in auto/tip...........
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Tinox, what colour is your car, and what colour are the seats?
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

The car is Black, with Red FTO Bucket seats.

I paid 21k from a car yard, its got 40k on the clock.

I checked the chassis code against what each character means (found the translation off the net) and it is a oringial 5-speed Mivec Version R.

Its had no mods what so ever, comes with strut bars and other extras the version r is meant to come with. (apart from climate control and folding mirrors :( )
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

H U G E B A R G A I N! :D

That car yard guy was majorly stupid!
TiNox

Post by TiNox »

Yeah they were a bunch of wankers! After putting intial deposit on the car, i had to sort out a small loan and it took abit longer then expected, when i picked up the car the bastard manager put 800kms on the clock from the time i put the depsoit on, was about 18 days later. I had a huge sh*t at them but could not do much and did not wanna lose the car. But its all good and running like a dream. Very happy with it :) But the dude at the car yard did not really have a clue what was going on.

I got the car checked out by state roads too, and it came up completely clean!