Toyota Aurion

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

topao
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Toyota Aurion

Post by topao »

I recently rented an Aurion for a few weeks and drove it from melb to the Gold Coast and back. Its definately not the type of car i would ever buy, sure it goes fast but its handling is crap and when using th + - gears it takes atleast 5 seconds to change into the next one so by the time the gear has changed the car is reving so high i need to change into the next one. The only thing which i actually liked about the car was when i rear ended a camry, the front of the car only had a few scuff marks on the front bar and the number plates bent slightly, however the camry was written off :D My FTo would have crumpled if id been driving it
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Drove a few different version of the Aurion before, it goes ok, handling is about right for an average "family" sedan. But like you said the gear shift feels like forever when you put it on manual mode, its better off if you floor the dam thing in auto mode.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

What about the TRD edition ????
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

rock_it wrote:What about the TRD edition ????
For the money, i rather get a HSV R8 with much better handling, better looking interior and a hell lot faster.

Plus the TRD is basically max out for a FWD, so any more mods/power on it will cause a bit of a problem.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Plus it ain't manual...
Read it handles like poo on a stick too...
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

I heard they had to be taken of the market for a while a while ago, they kept blowing motors. I think TRD lowered the boost and reduced the rev limit a little and re-released them, hoping for the best from motors perspective I think.
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

240kw through the front wheels is still over the top. I can't see that working in ANY way even with the weight of the thing to reduce the torque steer. :?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

oodLes wrote:240kw through the front wheels is still over the top. I can't see that working in ANY way even with the weight of the thing to reduce the torque steer. :?
TC and ESP help with that...plus the looses are large I doubt yuor putting anymmore than 190 to those wheels.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Plus the fact that its a 2 tonne ricer probably helps
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

So in short...no one really likes it ? Lol
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

For years now, the Japs have been trying to break into the Aussie big car market - and until they get it through their thick skulls that big Aussies family sedans must be available in V8 and RWD, then they will never sell much. Mitsubishi 380, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, all prime failed examples. Bogans dont like technology like turbo, keep it simple & uneconomic.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Bennoz wrote:For years now, the Japs have been trying to break into the Aussie big car market - and until they get it through their thick skulls that big Aussies family sedans must be available in V8 and RWD, then they will never sell much. Mitsubishi 380, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, all prime failed examples. Bogans dont like technology like turbo, keep it simple & uneconomic.
So true. I've got a couple of mates like that. Then i try to convince him to do handling over kw and it doesn't get through that thick skull.

Imho, not a huge loss though. Even if they manage to enter, the profits available in this segment is much smaller than say, 5 years ago etc. With ever increasing emission tests, more traffic and smaller parking spaces, big cars are becoming a less seen sight on the roads. Don't get me wrong, still plenty around but the sale figures are now just a shadow of it's prime.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh I dunno about that... last year was a record sales year for f*cken "Soft Roaders, Urban Assault Vehicles & the North Shore Bushman 4WDs" :x They're getting bigger!
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Hahaha, they'll always be around...ppl just have a bigger is better mentality (hey but it is :twisted: ).

Hot hatches etc are on the rise too while falcodores don't really sell like they used to anymore, least last time i checked.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Bennoz wrote:For years now, the Japs have been trying to break into the Aussie big car market - and until they get it through their thick skulls that big Aussies family sedans must be available in V8 and RWD, then they will never sell much. Mitsubishi 380, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, all prime failed examples. Bogans dont like technology like turbo, keep it simple & uneconomic.
I agree to that to a certain points, i drove and own lots of different cars by now and what i normally found in most FWD "performance sedan" whether Jap or Euro are just crap handling and poor feedback.

The vibration that send through the steering wheel because of FWD just turns me off. I'm not taking about torque steer, its all the humps and bumps that it picks up on good ol aussie road.

Also the steering is usually less accurate due to the front wheel is pulling while changing direction at the same time. While RWD is pushing from the rear and let the front do the turning.

FWD car are usually design to have more cabin and boot space and not for performance, however the exceptions are usually sports coupes /hatches, like the FTO (of course), MPS 3, MKV Golf GTi, DC2R and the new JDM Civic Type R, which had beaten lots of RWD/AWD on a straight and on corners that had similar price tag.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Haha, Im gonna go to Penrith & see how many people can identify what cars these are:
FTO338 wrote:MPS 3, MKV Golf GTi, DC2R, JDM Civic Type R
It'll be like asking an Amercian where Iraq is on a map :lol:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Bennoz wrote:Haha, Im gonna go to Penrith & see how many people can identify what cars these are:
FTO338 wrote:MPS 3, MKV Golf GTi, DC2R, JDM Civic Type R
It'll be like asking an Amercian where Iraq is on a map :lol:
LOL how about Centrelink and baby bonus, i'm sure they know what that is :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

If I was going to spend big money I would not consider a FWD at all.
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

from what i understand the 380 was made as a last resort becuase mitsubishi australia was going to shut down. mitsubishi japan (the parent company) gave mits aus a certain amount of money to see if they can make it work here, and it did because of the whole lifetime warranty thing which was unprecedented, and this was made available with the 380 and other new models, which now are also being used as police cars/ corporate cars etc.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

harry90 wrote:from what i understand the 380 was made as a last resort becuase mitsubishi australia was going to shut down.
It's really hard to know what to believe with all the big car companies - of course it's in their best interest to claim they're financially on the brink because then the government steps in and props them up with extra cash.