General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Borya
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

GPX vs GPvR

Post by Borya »

Hey guys,

Couldn't find anything on this using the search, so i better ask...

I'm looking for a manual fto, like a 97+ but i'm not sure which one to go for. Either the GPX, or the GPvR. :)

I know the main differences between the two but are there any ones that you simply don't read about, like the feel, ride, noise, etc...

Would the GPvR be faster from a standing start than a GPX?
Would the LSD help the GPvR much from standing starts and also round corners? Like what i'm asking... would it be noticable...

Has any one recently made the same decision??? 8O

Thanks in advance ppl...

Boris. :)
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Do you want it to show off to your mates and drag people off at the lights or for day to day driving?
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

No, not to show off. Jst as an everyday car, with the exceptional weekend trip down to the coast... :twisted: and the rare drag or two :twisted:

I plan to keep the car for a while... cos it's such a nice car... maybe in future 2/3 years i will have enough $$$ to tune it for the track... so keeping that in mind...

Boris.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

If it's for day to day use, personally, I'd be going for the GPX, as the creature comforts are better, and the extra weight doesn't make that much of a difference (fractions of a second).
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

You should also be able to get a GPX for less $$$ than a GPvR and with a lot more choice of colours, and condition.
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

Cool, that's what i though. Do you know if the GPvR is a better handler?? due to the set up etc... Or can i get the GPX to the same spec quite easily? With good suspension etc...

I love pushing the car on windy roads etc.. who doesn't... so i'm bit concerned about the LSD... cos i heard that if i ever wanted one i'd be looking at a grand or two...

Thanx :)

Boris
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

merely suggesting here that a GPvR may hold its resale value better than the GPX due to the fact that they're more exclusive/rare...

although the GPvR is missing some of the basic creature comforts like climate control, it makes up for it by giving you extra performance such as LSD and lower weight... but the extra costs of a GPvR does not justify the times shaved off the ET so yeah I'd get the GPX and tune it accordingly...

in terms of ride comfort, i done see much difference at all but then again i was in Eric's car so the perception is somewhat uh...... blurred haha...
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

If you're going to do the car up, you would use the same parts anyway (suspension, headers, exhaust etc.) so this part doesn't matter.

If you are going to leave the car stock standard, then yes, there will be slight difference between the GPX and GPvR. But I would question whether you want the GPvR setup for day to day driving.

The setup on the GPX as standard is excellent, if you read any professional reviews on the car (car magazines etc), they all praise the setup and handling of the stock GPX. As standard the setup is quite firm, and very stable, most people who change the suspension do so to lower the ride height, so it looks better, not so much for better handling. Naturally if you do lower it the handling will be a little better, but the ride will also be harsher, which you may not want to do for day to day use.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I agree with Mikey, the GPvR is rarer and will hold it value better, but you will pay more for it in the first place. With what you save, you could make a few mods to the GPX. You could even find a moded GPX for less than a standard GPvR.

Again, for day to day use, I'd be going the GPX.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

As far as I know the vR has no climate control, no electric mirrors, no sound deadening material and stiffer suspension, so you would be less comfortable on longer trips.

Some of the post '97 GPXs have the LSD anyway.

The vR does come with anti-sway/strutbars as standard, but better after-market ones can be bought later and put on the GPX.

If a quarter of a second less off quater mile times matter to you, get the vR, otherwise I think the choice is obvious.

I chose GPX over vR because I didn't want the car to have the same aircon as my Lancer :)
LED ALL the things.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

If you want to see a range of FTOs, hang around Supplanter's girlfriends house, apparently quite a few show up! :twisted:

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Don't be hatin' :cry: :cry: :cry:

I thought you were one of the nicer ones around here ruchi :cry:
LED ALL the things.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Sorry, was just following through on the Jerry Springer humour from the other thread. It is all a joke, but I guess it has stopped being funny. I will stop now.

Mikey, feel free to beat me up! Just as I did you! :P
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Don't worry ruchi, I will beat you up at the next meet :wink:
LED ALL the things.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

now where's Kev's 10-ft pole when you need it... :twisted:
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

His 10 ft pole might be in use via his "corporate membership" :P
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

hehehe, u guys r nuts.... :D

thanx for all the advice... I guess if i see a nice GPvR i will get it, but i'm not going to espesially look for one. I will concentrate on the GPX.

The reason i was thinking GPvR was if i get the car i wount be able to do anything to it. For a while atleast. :x Therefore i though that GPvR would be more better being a sportier ride. But i do agree that they are more expensive... in the beggining.

Thanx guys for your feedback. :)

Boris.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Take a GPX for spin, you won't be disapointed.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Ok ok did i hear someone asking for the 10 FT Pole??? I've lend it to Monkey from "Monkey magic" 8O but how about a BIG BLOODY CHAIR???
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Tripitaka is a hottie :oops:
LED ALL the things.