HOW DO YOU MAKE FTOs SOUND LIKE THIS???

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bushido
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

HOW DO YOU MAKE FTOs SOUND LIKE THIS???

Post by bushido »

Ok so i assume all you FTOheads would have seen this vid already, buy for the benefit of those who havent wach it (or more like listen to it full blast!)

My question is "how do I make my FTO sound like the white one is the vid?" Upcoming mods are the UAS CAI with HKS pod, full cat back exhaust and hi flow cats. Will that make a similarly sexual noise as the vid? I dont want to go too crazy with mods. Not looking to replace the extractors any time soon.

All comments welcome! :)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

wheres the video?
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

hahaha oopps, here it is http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtkUgNt7jbA

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

my one sounds like that... u just get a cannon 3.5" and angle it off to the side slightly...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

Mine osunds like this and when mivec kicks in it sounds better than this i think (thanks to delvance i bought his setup) and omg it sounds soooooo goodd even when oyu accelerate gently in third gear pwahh the purr of the engine and when my 2 12inch subs are hammering and mivec kicks in i hear the mivec over the subs heres a pic.

bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

AMACHA do you have any exhaust mods? Thats the UAS pipe isnt it? Well in Sydney we cant have exposed pods.. Its a defect notice.. :cry:
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

ei mate yea i got a exhaust its no the stock exhaust system and yep tahts the UAS pipe, and a hks super power flow,if ou go for this setup youll need a OCT and u will need to drill a hole in to the UAS pipe for the return pipe from the OCT and the ni epoxy'd all around it.In melbourne its not a defect notice(called canary) to my knowledge and anyway to defect you apparently they need three things is that true?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

not a good idea to cable tie it there.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

to that silverp ipe thingy yea? i cut that off and just tied it arond where the screws used to bolt in for teh airbox one cabel tie there and another one i drilled a hole in the batter tray and its connected to the battery traythat should be ok yea khun?
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

i think he meant the low rpm sound and the sound when you rev it in neutral....

the guy in the white car uses an Apexi (fireball? or something like that) muffler, and the black one is a Mongoose......

*pats brand name muffler* :)
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Glad to hear you're loving it Amacha :D
As per Khunjeng though, not a good idea to cable tie to the silver thin line at the front near the headlight. Just remove that one there.

When my fto was modded, it sounded very similar to the black one in that clip. Drive by sounded even better though (but that video ain't super quality though...).

Just do intake pipe, pod, some exhaust and do leads and spark plugs for better ignition. You'll get that angry v6 mivec sound :D
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Kinda given up on looking for brand name exhaust systems. Might just give liverpool exhaust or something like that a call and see if they can make me one.. WOuld definately be cheaper.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

The silver pipe its cable-tied to is for air con & yes, 'tis not a good idea to support it from there (even though they're surprisingly strong, you just don't want to have it break ;)...)

Better place to cable tie it to is through the eye hole of the bonnet support rod mount.. 'tis where mines attached to atm :P
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

liverpool exhaust will NOT be cheaper, they quoted me $1200 for extractors alone.
can you guess what i told them?
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

manofwood wrote:liverpool exhaust will NOT be cheaper, they quoted me $1200 for extractors alone.
can you guess what i told them?
get fkd?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Hahahah. Extractors...why not just get the RPW ones delivered...be around $700 i guesstimate, then another $300 for install. Good set of extractors installed for $1k ain't too bad...

But then again manofwood, i know you're trying to build an n/a monster. A custom design will definitely suit you better but big bucks...
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

hmm, dammit!! just read the "vandalism topic" God that makes me not wanna do any mods. Found a good reason to be carrying a big ass steering wheel locker :twisted: GOT blood??
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

liverpool exhaust claim to be the builders of the RPW headers and extractors, thats the problem. i dont know who to believe, but i'd rather buy them from RPW and install them myself, rather than hand my keys over to those dickheads
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:The silver pipe its cable-tied to is for air con & yes, 'tis not a good idea to support it from there (even though they're surprisingly strong, you just don't want to have it break ;)...)

Better place to cable tie it to is through the eye hole of the bonnet support rod mount.. 'tis where mines attached to atm :P
The reason you dont want to mount it there is due to performing cold work on the condenser pipe which depending on which model you have installed in your car (I have seen two) there is limited support and is weak. Eventually cause a crack which may or may not be able to be fixed. A condenser cost $700. Not worth it.

Mount it using the existing mounting holes with a fixed bracket.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Delvance wrote:Extractors...why not just get the RPW ones delivered... ... $1k ain't too bad...
the RPW ones i got came with a single braided flex pipe so they're a bit noisey, and on mine it caused a loud buzz above 4500..... only fix was a double braided one (braid on the inside aswell as the outside) and its now about half as quiet and no more buzz..... and that was about 2-300 extra..... so it could be worth 1.2k if their's is a quality flex pipe