Cost of owenership?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

gaffman
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Cost of owenership?

Post by gaffman »

SO im considering buying and FTO, but ive never owned an import before, im a bit concerned about the cost of ownership... parts/servicing, insurance, etc...

So I was just wondering if some of you could share your experience with me? Are they expensive to run? Whats a ballpark figure for insruance on a gpx 5sp? And I guess most importantly... is it all worth it? Is it a fun car to drive?

Chers for your input.
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

:D For me... it's worth it! Whatever the cost, and hell yeah its fun to drive!!!!

Cost - insurance... depends on your age and driving history, there are a few threads in the forum already, I found FAMOUS CLASSIC cars the cheapest for my insurance, there are also other ones like DAWES, Just Cars, Young and Cool. Rego... again - depends what state are you?
gaffman

Post by gaffman »

Well Ive never lost my licence and i will be living in VIC... i dont turn 25 until august though. Someone told me to expect to pay around 5 grand... thats a bit steep for me though...
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

i bought my FTO on a real impulse buy, my mate was buying a car at the same time. i have not regreted buying it for a second. it is the funnest car to drive. the only real problem i have encounterd is insurance.

it was going to cost me almost 5K a year to insure my FTO and its only a GR non mivec, however im only 19 and its my first car so...

check out this site, it should anwser most of your questions about the FTO.

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org
Whats an FTO?
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

:o Insurance can be scary - when I was looking at mine I rang NRMA first and got quoted $4500...... YIKES!!! Almost didn;t buy one, luckily car yard man was fairly honest (for a car yard) and gave me the numbers of a bunch of other insurance companies, I now pay $1400/yr through Famous... just a bit of difference *hehe* pays to shop around, latest quote I got was from Dawes for just over $1000-
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

one thing you could do, like me, is settle for 3rd party fire and theft. costs me about 500 and i just that bit extra carful when driving.

o and thats through just car insurance.

also parts and servicing isnt to bad, even common cars can have hassles getting parts and stuff, but you can always ask around this forum for places to get things done.
Whats an FTO?
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

mines the same with raven,
but if your rating 1 then u can get full comp with just car for 1100, so if u go shopping with a rating 1 im sure u could get it under 1g
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

The topic of insurance been posted numerous time, & 2 summarise it, u can't insure it under someone else's name & have u as a second driver!! Cause insurance company will only insure according to the youngest or the lowest rating driver for imported cars
Last edited by FTO338 on Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Insurance is the biggest cost for the car - parts are kinda common...just done go looking for panels or windscreens too often. Most engine parts are sourced from other mitsi's.

My insurance - comprehensive through Just car, i am 24, car is 95 GR tiptronic, paying 1800 at rating 4. Should be less this year as i will go down a rating point. I have a good job so i was thinking about dropping it back to 3rd party property fire n theft.... and save my money.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

23 rating 1 here... i pay $1200 through unique.....
then again i got bent over with major service for 2grand soo it evens out :P