Supercharging a v6

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

manofwood
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Supercharging a v6

Post by manofwood »

how hard do you think it would be to supercharge a mivec v6?
i was pondering a custom manifold with a charger off of a cooper S, seeing as they're east west FWD, or even an SC14 off the 1GGZE. if you chopped the the top off the manifold and shortened the runners to make it fit, and added sufficient/ relevant fuel & computer bits, could it work? or have a distant mount, or centrifugal type charger with an appropriately sized belt?
i'm getting a bit tired of seeing how severely limited the FTO is in the aftermarket world... :(
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I have done some measuring with a raptor supercharger, I was going to get rid of the AC and have the supercharger sit where the AC compressor was, It didn't fit in real well, but I reacon a ROTREX supercharger would have more luck fitting in.

Bennoz has a Project where he is fitting a Eaton supercharger.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

ben is the one u want to talk to about that, and there's a thread on his progress.... or lack of progress lately on it... i think its in this section (too lazy to look now), search for it ;)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Theres one guy in the UK done it, you might want to drop him a message on the uk ftooc forums his name is Tonyb
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

The ROTREX C30 series is good for up to 400BHP and is only 180mm long by 140mm high. It could maybe sit in where the aircon compressor sits but someone would need to actually measure and check to be absolutely sure.
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

super charge a lot cheaper then turbo? and easier work?
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

'charger manufacturers will tell you that an intercooler isn't needed as the air isn't running past a red hot turbo and manifold but compressing air will still heat it up. For low boost I suppose its up to yourself.

If it would fit then a ROTREX one like I suggested retails here at £1250 plus VAT with a further £60 for an oil cooler for it. For that you get the charger and its own lubrication system.

It works out at around £1540 and then you need to make up a custom bracket (they tell you how to do it) and sort out fuelling and pipework.

No worrys about turbo up pipes or melting anything with a hot turbo.

See http://www.rotrex.com for further info.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

For an fto... you'll most likely find turbo would be the cheaper and easier option. There's more turbo guys out there to ask for advice and a couple of workshops will have some experience with them. S/c'ing will be hard as no one has a recipe yet (in aus anyways i think), meaning you'll have to experience and probably waste a fair amount of money.

That said, s/c would generally make a more driveable and predictable car with it's linear power and torque curves. Oh, and s/c belt slip sucks.

Do most of us really need that much more power though ? A light/moderate tuned fto is fairly fast (still faster than most hot hatches and able to keep up with some stock turbos) and it already torque steers pretty ugly... Big power at front wheels will make for a less enjoyable daily driver.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

^^^ what he said... torque steer is your enemy..

Since i turbo'd mine, i've been contemplating buying a cheap GPX for handling... the turbo will always be slower around the twisties which are ultimately the funnest part.

S/C i would presume would have some bigger traction issues as you get a whole lot more power down low. where as a turbo builds up to it.

do your research... and then do up a costing... then double it... that is now your budget... you may still go over...

my first costing... $6k...

Im on about $18k now... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

i'm thinking of this setup

this kit is on an eclipse, which is an east west 3ltr V6. note throttle body and crank balancer on same sides as fto. i'm sure with a bit of fiddling and an engineer handy, its possible to get this badboy in, without sacrificing a/c oranything else besides fuel economy
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

That setup ^^ has also been done on a 6A12 galant.

If you want to read up on how I've done it, its in here:

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=5778

I thought about that sort of setup above, but those types of blower are 3 grand out of the box. You also have all that plumbing to content with. I thought why not go for the throat & just slice up the intake manifold, weld up a plenum & just bolt the bastard straight on.

I got it to work on one motor, but some pulley miscalculations saw far to much poundage go in & I blew 2 rods outta the block.

Im doing the same thing now, but better thought out. We are bolting an Eaton M45 blower ($300 off ebay thank you very much) direct onto the manifold. Cut all the runners & rubbish out & have it feed direct into the cylinders. TB mounts to the back of the blower & all's you need is a piggy back to add the extra juice. Although I'll never get the dizzying highs of a turbo on full boost due to the blower sucking power from the drive train, I will get something that starts every day & pulls hard from the word go - no turbo lag. If I get 160Kws out of it at the wheels I'll be happy... that enough to get the pesky Rexes & Soap Boxes off my arse.
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

^^^
thats all i wanna do, i'm not intrested in the massive gains just a bit more go and show what a fto can do :)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

lol... only 160kw...

i had 148 or something and it was pretty nuts... smoked my standard clutch in a week... lol...

I so wanna see a supercharged FTO... would sound soooo sexy...

ben hurry up and finish... when u do im comin to sydney...

race day? Qtr mile then track? (yes you'll nail me on both i know)

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

now that I want to see Ben and Sam on track would be a great race :twisted:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

aza013 wrote:now that I want to see Ben and Sam on track would be a great race :twisted:
... i dont think it would be wise.... i see understeering and tyre smoke from here to next week lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

lol... we'll just get adam and jeff along too...

be very interesting...

also of note:
Adam told me on the weekend he's getting the car tuned for 20psi...

eeepp!!!

SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

you wont get tyre smoke and understeer if the car is set up right and you drive it properly ;) lsd would be worth its weight in gold aswell..

...also u should be able to get the power down even better with an upgraded front ARB because the ARB puts more pressure on the ouside tyre as you turn and thats the tyre the lsd is mostly driving as you accelerate out of the corner... just have to raise or lower the rear or something to get the cars balance back for mid corner depending on what u've got.

...*goes back to his corner*
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Done ARBs.... and all poly bushes... and all shocks now Teins.... got the semi's on.... just need that limo diff 8)
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

can you fit the kaaz lsd into an open diff?
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

You replace the open centre diff with the LSD, just a matter of pulling the gearbox apart and unbolting the diff.