0-100 for tip??

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

hnm738
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

0-100 for tip??

Post by hnm738 »

hi

i've got a gpx tip

got itg pod and i think 2.5inch exhaust

i time my self with a stop watch i keep on getting 10sec, 10.48, best one i got was 9.41????? from standing still to 100km

could any give me some advice or tell me what could possibly be wrong?
i can feel when the mivec kicks in in 1st how come the timing of 0-100 is so high?? or is that what a tip suppose to do?

and i also had a major service 2 months ago
thanks
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

oh and i take it all the way to the red line
so i think theres something wrong

some advice would be great thanks
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

stock tip GPXs should manage mid 8s for the 0-100 quite easily, and perhaps slightly lower than that with the mods that you have mentioned.

if you're getting 0-100 dashes in the 10s, then either:

1. your timing is inconsistent
2. engine is not well tuned (poor fuel/engine oil/ engine or gearbox condition etc)
3. you're not feeding enough revs when launching
4. inconsistent road conditions (were you timing yourself when driving slightly uphill or....??)
5. You're not shifting at optimum rpms

Just a few factors off the top of my head...
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

hi there

i have optimax
got f1 tires

and everytime i accelerate i press the pedal down as far as it can go

got mobile super synthetic oils 5-50w

when you say tuning? how can i do that now?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

hnm738 wrote:hi there

i have optimax
got f1 tires

and everytime i accelerate i press the pedal down as far as it can go

got mobile super synthetic oils 5-50w

when you say tuning? how can i do that now?
Sorry to say this, but those things u quoted won't help u much on 0-100, & the time is about rite, if u doing stop start 0-100 without "rev-launch"
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

but isnt stock specs were 7.8-8.5secs??? and thats without anymods??

but if what you said was true what can i do to the car?

headers for $1000
that exhaust mod that smorison is doing for $550
throttle body $600
computer $1000
hi flow cat $250
flywheel $600

which is better and more worth while doing than the other

also does anyone know about close gear transmission thing?
just wandering bout that becuase in the games it sure help the car go a lot faster
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

firstly, u need a direction and more importantly - a budget.

You can only go as quick as your budget allows, and it also depends on what you're aiming for (circuit racing, straightline speed, high-speed runs)

and having said that I wouldn't bother opting for a close-ratio gearset for the FTO tiptronic, even if you've got some significant mumbo under that hood. Instead i'd rather spend the money on rebuilding the gearbox with stronger internals and torque convertor plus a higher stall for a better launch... either that or go for a manual conversion, but don't waste your time with custom close-ratio gearsets on a stock tip 'box.

...oh and by the way, a game is a game - don't be fooled by its realism and apply them in the real world hehehe..

as for the mods you have mentioned above, well again it depends on how much you wanna spend. my 1st preference would prob be the headers and Steve's exhaust mod, but that's just me... ;)
Last edited by GPXXX on Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

If you want to stick with a tiptronic, but want a closer ratio gearbox, then buy a 97+ model which has a 5 speed box, rather than the 4 speed box of the earlier models. Each of the gear ratios will be shorter and will get the car into the Mivec range / powerband faster. Don't expect it to shave much time off though! :wink:
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

what i just want is when i step on the pedal at any speed it picks up speed faster
would hte flywheel make it go faster? well i duno what budget i would have now just getting ideas from you guys and decide from there
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hnm738 wrote:what i just want is when i step on the pedal at any speed it picks up speed faster
would hte flywheel make it go faster? well i duno what budget i would have now just getting ideas from you guys and decide from there
well going by the 1st sentence alone sounds like you want more torque down low, in which case I'd recommend an extractor instead. fitting a lightened flywheel will only give you negligable increase in accelleration and it does have its trade-offs too (particularly when driving uphill)
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

but steve said that fto's extractors are very good and we dont have to replace them?

but how much are they anyways?

thank you for all your advice gpxxx
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well after being taken for a ride in Eric's (MADFTO) car, I can tell you the extractors that he has fitted made quite a difference on the road, and i assure you it has nothing to do with the aural sensation from his HKS exhaust haha...

however it was fitted to a manual FTO, hence i'm not sure if the extractors will give you a world of difference for a tiptronic 'box because the torque convertor would've absorbed prob up to half of its gains (if not more) anyway... (no disrespect to 'tip owners out there)
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

theres a screw on top of the manifold is that for idle or for how much air u want in the engine?

mine is sucking very very loud just wandering how you have yours?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

the sucking noise that you hear is coming from your ITG pod filter...
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

yes its comming from the pod
but it sounds a lot louder than any other cars

is it because the air screw is too open? the noise is loud and can also hear noise like bells ringing inside it its really weird

theres a screw at the top on the other end of the pod pipe
when i adjust that the pod goes softer and louder so as my idle
so should i adjust it loud or soft
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

oh and every time i step the pedal hard in 2nd or 3rd i can hear the engine making rattly noises i know its not the tappets especially happens when i have the aircon on

happens more in 3rd
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

i first few things that come to my mind, is that your cars wheel might not have enough grip, u could be having wheelspin coz u floor it (i get wheel spin if i floor it from stationary)... and using stop watches are inaccurate anyway... your car could also be heavier, and also u said u have your aircon on when u drive, well thats another factor coz the aircon takes some of the power (shares power)..

if u redline it every gear to 100km?? u'll only be up to 2nd gear?

if u want it go faster
get NOS or fuel additives

i think kevin knows what im talking about? the one my frnd put in his golf?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thecook wrote:...is that your cars wheel might not have enough grip, u could be having wheelspin coz u floor it (i get wheel spin if i floor it from stationary)...
kirby, i think your tyres are not up to scratch - it shouldn't be that easy to light up the fronts unless it's very wet because the FTO does not really have a heap of torque down low anyway (unless u meant a brief tyre-chirp off the line)....
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

my tyres still got lots of grip on it, got them less than a year ago

what i meant was when launching, he probably was rev'n in Neutral to a certain level, then changing it to 1st gear in tip... (too high rev for launch is too much power, that why wheel spin)...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

GPXXX wrote:
thecook wrote:...is that your cars wheel might not have enough grip, u could be having wheelspin coz u floor it (i get wheel spin if i floor it from stationary)...
kirby, i think your tyres are not up to scratch - it shouldn't be that easy to light up the fronts unless it's very wet because the FTO does not really have a heap of torque down low anyway (unless u meant a brief tyre-chirp off the line)....
It also depends on your tyres' pressure, those who been 2 tracks before would agree with me even 1psi would make an effect in grip & cornering.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.