Which headlight globes do you recommend?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rusty12
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Which headlight globes do you recommend?

Post by Rusty12 »

I was looking at these - Philips BlueVision. I want white light, not yellow. Would they fit the foggies as well?

Is it one size fits all? How much and where can I get them?
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

the question is, are they legal on roads?

Tim
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

One thing that sh*ts me - and am sure it gets to most are fog lights on cars in places where there is fog maybe 3 or 4 times a year....why??? DOwn here in adelaide throughout winter we have fog and drizzle almost daily...yet when i go to brisbane there are people (my mates included) that drive with em on in normal night time conditions. Just irritates drivers in front of you.

As for your question, any of those blue halogen types - so long as the light is white when you hold a piece of white paper in front of them - are legal (i think). I am not sure the true way to defect lights, but have heard that is one way. If your driving lights arent white/yellow - as in if they illuminate things blue, then you might be in trouble. THey cost a little more as you probably know, but if that is what you want then go for it. I just use normal halogens as the colour in the 'white' lights dont appear to illuminate things better for me.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Oops forgot the other questions....

Price, about twice as much as the normal halogens i think.

As for one fits all....yeah kinda. THere is a colour band around the halogen globe - cant remember now (too many beers) but think it is yellow??? or red. Just take it into the place when you buy a new one, they should get it right.

You can get those types of bulbs from Sprint Auto, Repco or Supercheap auto down here in SA, i am sure they stock similar things in most states if you have those retailers.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

hmm, i'm not sure if the fog light bulb and headlight bulb are the same size... im 100% sure that the parkers and headlight are different size and type of light bulb coz i've change these two dozens of times... havnt touched the fog lights yet bcoz they still work fine

i dont see the point of changing the foglights to white, coz u already have parkers on, turning white foglights on will just make it brighted, and u can be booked for not dimming your lights (happend to me with yellow foglights)..

and foglights are meant to be yellow, not white, coz yellow can penetrate through fog, allowing u to see through it when your driving... if u have white foglights, all u see is fog and lots of it...

I have a set of philips blue vision blue/white light with wedge base, got it for bout $7 at autobarn... i got it because i needed a new blue light for my parkers... this doesnt fit the headlight... too small..
i dont have it on my car now because its actually ugly white, the globe itself is blue, but when u turn it on, the light is whitish yellow with a small blue dint... when i checked to see what it looked like back in the parkers position... the parkers didnt even have a small tint of blue in it... still normal ugly white yellow light....

so dont get this one, u'll be disappointed coz it aint the white light u'd want... its really ugly whitish yellow... dunno why its got a blue coat on the light globe, but it sure as hell doesnt make the light any whiter or bluer... still sh*t...

apparntly its illegal to have foglights on when there is no fog... dunno wats the law bout lights, but if its too bright, then u'll get a fine and lose one demerit point (in Vic.).
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

^^

No, I don't think its illegal to have them on, because in some cars they come on automatically as soon as you turn your lights on.

In the Mitsu Magna VRX, the fogs come on when you turn the parkers and low beams on.
airbornespanner
Apprentice

Post by airbornespanner »

I am using Xenon light bulbs in my high , low and Fog/driving lights, I (being of the mature age like a brighter white light and the Fog/ driving lights are more of a driving light than a fog with these bulbs) the high beam (due to the relector glass gives a green tinge) these run around $40-50 a pair. By the way here in NSW the local police do not like you driving in lit up areas with them on !!!!!!!!! stil I use them all of the time ( saftey reasons of course)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm i've got Blue park lights, White fog/high/low beam lights. & a extra pair of after market fog lights, well its same as "thecook" got.

Now heres a few storys:

1.) I've been driving around with those blue park lights 4 almost 2yrs now, & i never had any problem with cops what so ever, apparently (a cop told me once) they r legal as long as is not red, or one red one blue (Dahhh). Its apply the same as the blue led washer.

2.) I manage 2 blew both of my low beam once, & it happen at the same time when my local shop don't have any "9006A" low beam, so i was driving around with just the after market fog lights & the normal fog lights during the night, cause of the after market fog lights r so bright, & i position them at the bottom section between the lower opening of the front lip, (Some FTO comes with round PIAA fog lights which mounted at the top section opening of the front lip) it appears to be like normal driving lights & lots of cop went pass & didn't pull me over 4 that reason.

3.) Well I did manage to get pull over with my fog lights on with my old car, cause it was a bright yellow one, but i got away with it cause i told them (cops) it was a original factory equipment/color (which are load of sh*ts) & it doesn't have a separate switch to turn it off (another load of sh*ts), just like those Magna/VRX. So cops just have 2 let me off.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
fuhrer
Apprentice

Post by fuhrer »

well if where on the topic of lights and been legal...
whats very 1's opion on the washer led lights???
r they legal or not??
THE FUHRER
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well like i said before, a cop told me once that they r legal, as long as they r not red. Call VicRoad 2 confirm since u from Vic as well.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

i got pulled over by cops, and they told me that my lights were too bright (had headlights, parkers, and foggies on)... they said the foggies were illegal b'coz they were yellow which isnt a legal colour....

this was when i firstg ot my car, and the car passed RWC... i also had another pair of aftermarket spotlights with no switch for it(but they were round and purple in colour, the cops said that was illegal colour too)... i ended up getting booked for not dimming my lights coz they were too bright...

since then, i've changed the spotlight to a "newer" one, which is yellow/whitish in colour, and even brighter, and i also installed a switch for it :D

i like driving with the foglights on, even though they are YELLOW YELLOW, it makes the road brighter, coz my headlights are weak- when my frnds get in my car, they think i havnt turned my headlights coz my headilghts not bright enough, which is a reason why i installed a newer spotlight and turn on the foglight together...

but now i drive around with normal headlights on, fog lights and spotlight off (spotlight is same as fto338), the main reason is because theres something wrong with the wiring with the foglights (doesnt turn on sometimes when i press the switch)... and also coz the newer spotlight globe is stuffed up, i think coz when i was getting my front bar repaired, the dumbarse panel beater broke the spotlight when they were unmounting itt from my bar...

washer led lights as in ricey water spitting lights? i dont like them, too common and your car could be mixed up with a commodore at nite hahaha

in victoria they legal, aslong as they are not red i think