0-100 for tip??

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by G_A_V »

didnt you just get a new one too lol
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

i reckon the 0-100 for a tip gpx is damn slow :(
i had so much faith until i got owned by a bloody old lexcen...

i've timed myself plenty of times and all seem to get close 2 10's...

i've got a decent xorst with HKS pod, don't no if that makes a difference but thinkin of scracy's 0-100 in 4.5secs... holy crap... is that possible and can the stock tip box handle the load????
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

it has to be heard to believe! sounds like an animal when it's spooling...
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Yeah the gearbox can handle the load as turbo power is far more progressive than n/a. Bear in mind though just because a car does quick 0-100km times doesnt necesarilly mean good 1/4 mile times. The turbo set up i have doesnt run out of puff high in the revs,getting it of the line is a problem though not because of wheel spin, just lack of torque. I dont know how much torque my car has,so id only be guessing.Oh and pappaya i allready have an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler. Id have to agree with Mikey though turbo or not manual would have been better. When i say lack of torque i mean of the line,not up in the revs. :lol:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

G_A_V wrote:I dont really find problems with toruqe down low or the midrange, i have a manual, and I find that in 1st gear the car will pull much quicker then cars with a lot more power due to the fact it only ways 1170 kgs.
I find that in a manual off the line if you launch right, you never see the needle bellow 5.5k anyways so what do you need that low down torque for anyways ?? Another problem is traction you mentioned traction is no probs with a tip, but i find i really have to ride the clutch on hard launches, usually ill rev to 3-5k, and bring th clutch up slowlly on the virge of breaking traction , not too sure how this is for the clutch ( nearly gone through my 2nd lol. But its intreating how you say 2nd has no toruqe, because when i drag other ftos, i seem to pull ahead in the mid range, and stop pulling ahead as it gets closer to 8k, until the next gear.
When you say the fto is highly tuned as stock, and exhaust and air filter does nothing i have to disagree, although you wouldnt see the sort of gains as you would wiht a turbo car, or higher capacity car, I think the gains are definitly worthet and while you would recive a total of around 15-20kw gain (depending on your setup) when racing against other cars which weight 1500-2000 kgs, thats equal to a 30+kw gain power to weight ratio
the FTO does lack torque down low, if you think at 5000 rpm there is power in the FTO you havent driven other cars. Im talking about the 4speed tip not a manual! The 2nd gear of a tiptronic is geared way too tall, ive hit 140km/h in 2nd and thats too tall. 20KW is hard to believe it just intake and exhuast mods, more closer to 10 if that. Also i recommend you read my post again, as i said, it doesnt make much of a difference!

Low down torque is a great thing to have when driving normally and up hills. I dont boot my car every time i take off, the little capacity of the FTO really does show in these situations.

Also the 1500-2000kg cars also have around double the torque of an FTO as well.
Last edited by payaya on Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

KillaFlop wrote:i reckon the 0-100 for a tip gpx is damn slow :(
i had so much faith until i got owned by a bloody old lexcen...

i've timed myself plenty of times and all seem to get close 2 10's...

i've got a decent xorst with HKS pod, don't no if that makes a difference but thinkin of scracy's 0-100 in 4.5secs... holy crap... is that possible and can the stock tip box handle the load????
yeah i get beaten by all commodores and falcons :)
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i think there must be something worng with your cars, tuning or osmething, or maybe the tip gearbox isnt as good as mitsu claim, i always thought it was a very intelligent gearbox, And when it comes to highways i love it i shuv it in 5ht and never have to change gears, even on steap hills, this is the manual gearbox, i guess you guys should look at getting am anual conversion or a manual car, cause i absolutly love the manual transmission, gears perfectly. one more hting 140kmh is way too tall perhaps you guys could also look into modifiing the gearbox, i know russel who used to be in the club had a race spec 2 box, and that geared very nicely
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Unless you drag people off everyday, the tip box is a fantastic automatic. Although not as responsive as the manual, it is still a lot of fun to use the manual changer and then flick back to auto when you want to cruise.

Even with a tip-box, I still beat most cars that want a drag, but more than anything, it is a very usable box for normal day-to-day driving, including those odd situations when you need a sudden burst of speed.

It is by no means a bad setup.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I agree with Ruchi.

Love the tip box. Allows to switch into full auto mode when u can't be f***ed switching gears all the time. At the end of a long day, when u're very tired, the last thing u need is to be pushing more pedals and levers. No offense to any manual lovers out there, but I just want the option to be lazy :D .

The kick down feature of the tip box allows for added squirts, and the box is very clever as it accomodates when u're going up or downhill. And when u feel like a sprint, just whack it into tip mode and enjoy.

As for beating Falcons and Commodores.... I used to lose to my friend's Falcon when I was inexperienced with the FTO. Now I kick his arse every time. So if u lose to stock Falcons and Commonwhores, I suggest u be less conservative and push those revs to redline :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

i pushed my fto 8000rpm plus since day one! Reaching 140km/h is pushing it, as thats past 8000rpm as well!

i never said the auto gearbox wasnt bad for day to day drivers, just the engine characteristics are. The auto is smooth, i never said it was terrible, just geared too high.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i have to admit though', there are times when i wished i had a tip, particularly when I'm stuck on peak hour traffic LOL... :roll:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeah definitly, long peak hgour traffi is the worste, the clutch i nthe fto is soo stiff, mine was like fully greased and it felt like pedals off a video game, but after a while it just got harder and harder to push
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

you should see me driving mine in peak hour traffic, it is great when your pushing it but drives me mad when i cant just take off because of traffic
Last edited by dannyboyau on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

well.. if your offering :P
Last edited by G_A_V on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

maybe i should edit that
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

perhaps I'm getting old (30), but after driving the tip FTO there is no way I'd go back to the manual. It is such a pleasure to drive, and when I want to have some fun, I just flick it across to the up/down setting. It gives me the best of both worlds. It really is a beautiful car and drives superbly!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

if the FTO's tip box were a little more responsive (with a bit more power to make up for the performance deficit when compared to the manual perhaps) then it woulda been great, but yes i agree with you andrew it does give you the best of both worlds.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

the FTO is a great car and the transmission in its day was great. But the only problem is the FTO is compared to other jap and aussie exotics and this is were the problem lies.

The FTO mechanically is starting to show its age, even the falcon has a smoother gearbox now.

I know this might sound stupid the FTO runs a 444 diff ratio, i reckon to make it more of a fun car to drive, make the first three gears shorter for better acceleration then make the 4th gear an overdrive gear, geared mostly for cruising now accellerating.

With only 2000CC and way to tall 2nd gear just kills the auto FTO.
What other car hits 140km/h in second??

Us aussies are too use to big capacity cars, with huge amounts of torque.
Imagine if the FTO had a bigger capacity engine! something like a 3 litres!

Whats the power output of the FTO at around 3-5k rpm? It feels real little to me.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Does anyone else have my problem?

I drive around in tiptronic for a while, then i put in back into drive cause i cant be stuffed shifting anymore, come to a set of lights but totally forgetting im back in drive, take off from lights, think im still in tip mode push gear lever up to shift up and the damn thing goes into nutural!

Mitsubishi should of made the FTO change up gear by pulling the stick backwards, or the requirement of pushing the lever button to go into nutural.

Just the other day, i was driving in tiptronic, i stopped at the set of lights, my mate was behind me and started to beam me, so i was a smartarse back and put the car in reverse and went back a little. He went forward in his car, so i put the car back into drive totally to go back forward a bit. Lights turn green thinking i was still in tiptronic put the lever up and went into nutural!

i dunno if im the only one who has done this, but ive done it about 15 times over a period of three years.

Thats why i never drive to drive anymore im always in tiptronic.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Happens to me all the time :roll:

I am accelerating in auto mode, then I try to change up a gear and end up putting it in nuetral... 8O the sudden change in revs scares the sense back into me.
LED ALL the things.