Stronger Alternator

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

$440 is not too bad....

If its Jap it may well be a Nipppon Denso
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

akuma3.
You mivec or non-mivec?

WR

P.S forgive my ignorance re members cars :oops:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I need an alternator for the new engine i got going in. My old one is McScrewed. So far $350 for 2nd hand from panelhouse. I really dont like that price. For $440 I'd snap up a new one easy!. Especially if it is a 100A one. Instead of my old 70A. ANyone ever thought of leaving the current alternator then installing a secondary alternator. Eliminates the need to worry about MIVEC. And so you could easy whack in a 200A Bosch and use the existing 70-100A Standard Alternator.so you got a nice 300A and no hassles with MIVEC. BUT.... You gotta find room for the 2nd alt.... YOu could possibly remove the AirCon.. but that would suck... Or you find some other ingenious way to do it. Or if you want serious power for some sound you can do what i was going to do.Install a bank of 7x 150AH Deep Cycle Batteries. Now an alternator cannot charge some big babies like that so they require to be charged when you park it at home.They may work for different periods of time depending on how hard you are running it. But this is usually for pretty insane stuff. Like two quad voice coil subs running 1Ohm at 4000WRMS.. :D BTW. those two babies are in the for sale section. :wink:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

From alternator to getting excited about subs 8O You ok mate? :lol:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

*twitch* huh *twitch* i like it when the red water runs *twitch*
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Well it's just most people want to upgrade their alternator for sound system purposes. usually. so i just presumed.......... *twitch*
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

mine is mivec, as i said don't know what brand but i'm really happy to see my voltage is constantly above 14V! $440 for new one + one year warranty is not bad ah?

for sounds setup i'm thinking of getting a better battery/power compacitor ... that will be a cheap easy fix

i'm almost all done so i can drive my car to see you Ben! :lol:
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

akuma3 wrote:i'm almost all done so i can drive my car to see you Ben! :lol:
LOL - I'll have all your 'products' ready to go :D
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

i wanna get those seafood again and also see your face red Ben! lol

it's already March now ... i guess i need the calendar reeeal soon :)
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

As for lots of you pm me & ask me where i got the alternator from, i got it from this electrician guys call Greg in sydney of course, i can't remember that shop's name but it's right next to Beaurepaires in victoria road

As i request he asked the mechanic next to him to fit it for me, i have to say i'm happy with the job they did, change my sway bar bracket, horn etc all in one go thought the labour all up was $200

I still have the receipt so i can grab it in my car and post up the address here when i have time, alternatively you guys can call 02 9807 6296 and ask for Greg, he should remember me since i got it fix last week only. :D

mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

My brother and I have been investigating the laternator situation a little bit more and here's the oil:

the 3rd and 4th pins are a more advanced way for the internal regulator of the laternator (and the engine computer) to regulate the voltage output - it's also a secondary way for the engine computer to know the RPM

http://pw1.netcom.com/~gentile/Vigor/Timely1201.htm

Here's the interesting bit - my brother has one of the few Cyborg engines - for those of you that aren't Mitsi heads like us, it's a 4g92 1600CC 170HP MIVEC monster (transplants from and to a CC lancer)

interestingly enough, it has the same alternator as the 6a12 (and a number of others.

All Mitsis have BOSCH alternators, and the Denso or others are usually either OEM Bosch, or made under licence. Here's the fun part with Bosch alternators - the part number reffers to three things - the regulator pack used (1 to 5 pin including B+), the current rating and the front flange. the front flange is interchangeable through the Bosch range and can literally be removed from the FTO alternator and say be fitted to the front of a 120A or other alternate alternator.

One more thing - All Mitsis (in recent memory) use both Bosch alternators, and Bosch computers - making virtually ANY 4 pin alternator for a Mitsi (eg late model magna) compatable with the FTO - just make sure you get one that supplies enough juice. Generally, one off a VR4 is the best bet because that's what the FTO is derived from.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Okay just got my alternator repaired.
New Bearings
New Regulator
New Rectifier
These parts are reknowned for breaking on FTO alternators. got new items. So no more alternator porbs for me!!! YAY!! And $380 total inc labour. yay!!!
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

You mean labour as in removal/installation of the alternator? Or labour to actually rebuild it?
mukow

Post by mukow »

mrdj1234 wrote: the front flange is interchangeable through the Bosch range and can literally be removed from the FTO alternator and say be fitted to the front of a 120A or other alternate alternator.
when you say front flange, what exactly do you mean? including the pulley?
demonic_hordes
Apprentice

Post by demonic_hordes »

mrdj1234 wrote:
One more thing - All Mitsis (in recent memory) use both Bosch alternators, and Bosch computers - making virtually ANY 4 pin alternator for a Mitsi (eg late model magna) compatable with the FTO - just make sure you get one that supplies enough juice. Generally, one off a VR4 is the best bet because that's what the FTO is derived from.
Because this has been like.. what? my third reconditioning of my alternator, i really want an alternative. Interesting thread. Yeah, its just that, the battery light next to the rev dials increase in intensity if i happen to reach a rev of over 4000rpm. and the higher i go, the darker it is. So it seems like the alternator is fked. And yeah, its been 2 reconditions and it is doing it again.
So if i were to tell my mechanic to try another mivec 4 pin alternator he should know what to do? should i tell him to best off, use a vr4 and it would fit in perfectly? no hassels at all?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

vr4 alternator is 100 AMP 4 pin same as FTO need the one from a 6A13
demonic_hordes
Apprentice

Post by demonic_hordes »

and the 6A13 would just drop in?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

the 6A13 alternator looks identical to a 6A12 mivec alternator
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

So can a standard auto electrician mod the existing 6A12 MIVEC alternator flange into an aftermarket one?
logan

Post by logan »

Second reconditioned alternator has croaked. Any advancement on if this alternative alternator is an option? Has anyone tried it with success?