Stronger Alternator

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Stronger Alternator

Post by FTO338 »

Well I remember someone was going to research on a better alternator then the stock one. Can't find the post (possiblely because i'm a blind bat).

From memory the member said his looking into a Borch one & i wonder if anyone else actually change it to another type/brand of alternator instead of the stock factory.

This would comes in handy as i think the stock one is a bit weak once you got a decent sound system running.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Yay someone confirmed it! After talking to so many people about what the possible issue is, everyone told me it was that the stock alternator wasn't strong enough.

I just needed to hear it from someone who actually drives an FTO!

Thanks Kev!

And sorry I can't help you with your question though.........but if you find out what you're looking for you'll have to let me know ok bro?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You can bolt any size alternator to any engine. I've seen show cars with moster doof sound systems in the with alternators the size of kegs mounted in. Once you get the voltage regulated from a larger one, issue is gonna be having the extra mivec pin wired in...
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Do you mind me asking what the extra pin for the Mivec is for? :oops:
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

non-mivec use 2 pin, mivec use 4 pin
gonna get the boshe alternator either this sat or sometime next week, will let you guys know the updated :)
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Whats the part number for Borch alternator you getting & how much?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

*watches this thread very closely*
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

i had this issue when my alternator died...
and due to problem sourcing another one
my mechanic just modded a galant one to fit into my fto
stronger and takes higher voltage too as he said.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I spent some time scouring through the Bosch website & finally came across the pdf alternator listing - which included part numbers!! Alas no FTO listed. It led me to the Japanese Bosch site, which I was able to change to english... except for the Car parts section! So anyone who can read the chingrish *looks at BigKev* might want to have a bo-peep at the Jap site & see if they also have a pdf with jap cars in there.... if so you'll find your part number :wink:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

There was an error when i try to download one of the catalog PDF, so i will try later this wk.

I did manage to download another one, but its useless. If you guys want a read just click on the link below. Warning it might take a while to load, its got enough english for you guys to understand though.

http://www.bosch.co.jp/kk/jp/productwor ... _parts.pdf
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I went to the Alternator Parts section did a seach on Mitsubishi FT0 & i couldn't find any alternator but i did find some parts that maybe useful.

Spark Plugs
http://www.bosch.co.jp/kk/jp/productwor ... odelnm=FTO

Halogen Bulbs

Brakes

Battery

If anyone want to have a go finding it, the weblink is below, & alternator is the first brown/gold colour button (wording). :wink:

http://www.bosch.co.jp/kk/jp/productwor ... index.html
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

I've used a friends mivec alternator on my GX before. Plugs right back in. Only difference is that the harness plug faces in another direction so I had to tug the wiring a bit to get it to clip back in. But had it on for a few months now and its working ok! - Might not work the other way round though!
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

can anyone explain to me what this mivec pins are used for? Its sounds like its another output from the voltage regulator...might want or need a seperate supply...just go to a good alternator place and get some advice....I have no doubt they can upgrade it for you.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've been trying to find that out for 2 days now :P If I do find out I'll let you all know :wink:
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

Current working theory is that that the mivec pin actually dis-engages or throttles back the alternator output during/just after the mivec cutover.

MrDJ and I have done a bit of work on that wireing, and our best guess is that the voltage output spikes too high immediatley after mivec.

The electrical system on the FTO seems to be a delicate bugger at the best of times.

Any other conspiracy theories are welcome :lol:

WR
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

i can't be stuff to ask for the number but i'll do that when i get my car back, it's still in the workshop ... will keep you guys updated :)
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

That's really interesting actually..........I've noticed that my voltage meter only really starts to play up only after I've let MIVEC out all the way to 8000k.

Then again you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that there's a hell of a lot more voltage produced at revs that high.............
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

What do you mean by play up? My voltage doesn't change that much if at all when the Mivec kicks in. Its always around 13.7-13.9 from the digital reading (depends how loud i pump the music).

But i did modify it to suit my old I.C.E setup, now i think its just need a better one for the current setup.

Come on wheres the Bosch ehehehe :D
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

i can get good deals from Bosch :D
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

ok guys i've replace my alternator ... cost me $440 for the alternator but it's some aftermarket jap ones don't know parts number / brand unfortunately, one year warranty ... everything works perfect again