Daily Tiptronic driver

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by GPXXX »

downshifting from 3 to 1??? 8O BAD MOVE!! ...it's gonna be a matter of time until the gearbox spits the dummy.

4-3 downshift is not gonna take your breath away on the tiptonic trans, but on a manual it sure pulls like there's no tomorrow LOL... (sorry, just had to get that out of my system)

...and i've been wondering, do you tip-users downshift to 3rd or 2nd when turning into a corner? i normally just use 3rd (in manual) and it'll still drive like a dream (but on other cars i had to downshift to 2nd on the very same corner).
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

hmmm so not that many ppl drive in tip all the time???

8O i drive in tip all the time, so used 2 it now coz it don't shift down properly in normal D. Plus u get more control and i'm used to driving with one hand on the stik...
but does this kill the gearbox? how strong is the auto box?

and yea, i take it down 2 2nd around a corner 2 get some more speed afta clearence :twisted:
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

MiVEC wrote:i think i got the same problem. my car doesn't shift down automatically from 3 to 2, but it does shift down 3 to 1 when i stop. what's wrong with that? anybody know how to fix it? thanks..
somebody told me that the car is normal if it shifts from 3 to 1. because the car automatically goes to around third gear when you gather a bit of speed, and it will change to 4th at another certain speed. However, if you slow down below the 3rd/4th gear cut off speed, then it automatically changes back to 3rd gear, but then it doesn't really shift down gears until you stop (back to 1st)..???? am i making sence?? haha :oops:

shfting down gears is automatic on both auto and tip mode, i guess you can control when to shift up gears.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

yeh mine doesnt shift down from 3 to 2 automatically

mike! theres always busses with skool kids on them near my place! u should see the faces on those kids! "PWOARRR....."
lol

i wonder what they are saying....
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

from my personal experience, the tip will automatically go from 3/4 to 1 if it has been in a complete stop (ie: at the lights) that way you won't have to downshift as you slow don or when you come to a complete halt (the gearbox computer does this for you to make driving easier in case you forget to downshift).

but if you go from 3-1 whilst the car is in motion, even at 40kph it's going to f**k up the transmission with constant abuse (they're not known to be very strong gearboxes).

as for the 1-3 upshift, it will only do so if you are acceellerating hard. i've noticed this when my friend drives in D mode on his GR. however if you take off smoothly from standing still, it will shift 1-2-3-4 properly... however if it's in tip mode, then the control is in your hands - it will hold each gear all the way to the redline if you want it to.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

yep, GPXXX is right!!
Last edited by thecook on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Yeah, mine downshifts from 3 to 1 when coming to a complete stop. I think that's normal. But it doesn't jerk, the transition is quite smooth.

As for right angle corners, i downshift from 3rd to 2nd just to have enough oomph on the exit. Otherwise it doesn't really pull in 3rd.

Have to a bit careful now that my transmission has been reconditioned. Anyone got any pointers about what qualifies as abuse on the tip box? I want to make sure it didn't fail on me solely because of my driving :evil:
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Will it shift down to a lower gear if the revs in the lower gear are going to be greater than 4000rpm?

eg going 60Km/h in 1st gear you are probably at around 7000-8000RPM
going 60Km/h in 3rd gear you could shift down into 2nd no problem, but can't shift into 1st (as the revs are over 4000rpm).

I haven't actually confirmed this myself, I usually don't take too much notice of the RPMs when shifting down. But I do know there are certain times where it won't let you shift down a gear.

Btw - I don't think there is a problem with downshifting considering the gearbox itself does it in fully automatic mode when you go down a hill, so it can hold a constant speed.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:Yeah, mine downshifts from 3 to 1 when coming to a complete stop. I think that's normal. But it doesn't jerk, the transition is quite smooth.

As for right angle corners, i downshift from 3rd to 2nd just to have enough oomph on the exit. Otherwise it doesn't really pull in 3rd.

Have to a bit careful now that my transmission has been reconditioned. Anyone got any pointers about what qualifies as abuse on the tip box? I want to make sure it didn't fail on me solely because of my driving :evil:
yeh the transition from 3-1 when you grind to a halt should be smooth (ie: you shouldn't feel any jerks) is it severe? if so i'd get the gearbox checked before more problems arise.

...and what qualifies as 'abuse' on a tip box?? gosh, i wouldn't know for sure, but i suspect shifting from 3/4 - 1 is one of them LOL..
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

I always assumed that the FTO won't let you shift 3-->1 unless its safe (ECU) since at high speeds it definitely doesn't let me. But I know it is possible
And they tend to be in situations where I'm like at 50-60 and I wanna overtake someone (I'm usually in 3rd by 30km/h so that's why I may shift to 1st at that speed) but I shift back up quickly as possible.
We hit 80km/h in 1st don't we??? Only done that once by accident...
It's only jerky if I do it on purpose, not via auto =P Engine breaking..
Oh RXboy, mine does that sometimes too, when its 'sticking' to 3rd gear, but like I said, as long as I don't do crazy shifting constantly, it fixes itself. But it is smooth though...
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and please feel free to disagree, but as someone who has driven a manual all of my driving life (as stated before this is my first auto/tip) you only ever use 1st to take off from a standing start. You would NEVER change to 1st for over taking - 2nd is the lowest u should go. 1st is basically your take off gear and u build up from there. Changing down to 1st during driving has got to put a lot of strain on the gearbox! Actually if you leave the car in auto you'll notice that the only time it changes into 1st is when u come to a complete stop! Gota be telling u something methinks!
elmo
Grease Monkey

gears

Post by elmo »

I agree, 1st is for starting thats why it is called first. The synchros in a manual will not let you change back to first while moving so why are you trying to force an auto to????
As for being in third at 30 and then suddenly needing to go back to 1st???? Madness, pay a little more attention to the road ahead and plan your changes more. By all means slap it back a gear and give it gas to overtake but not to first....
You cruel cruel people, even the way i drive, this seems like a terrible thing to be doing to your cars....
1st is for starting. Do not change into first unless the car is stationary!!!
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

its the INVECS-II dat makes your car go from 4-2 or woteva. helps u downshift when goin a fast speeds.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

when i had my tip, i used to downshift from 3 to 1 all the time, i drove for 2 years with no probs. if you are doing about 40kph or less it will let you drop down manually, even in D, if you plant your foot the INVECS will drop it down to 1 for you. Even when I had my auto Pulsar, it would drop down to 1st on kickdown, and on many other autos ive driven it is the same. now why would the manufacturers allow this to happen if it was doing considerable damage to the gear box?

problem with tip is, if you are going about 40kph, and you drop down from 3rd to 2nd you dont get enough overtaking power.

Manual is a different matter of course, with my current manual beast, doing 60kph+ i usually drop down to 3rd and thats enough to overtake most cars. unless im taking on something like an M3 on the M4(of course i lost) in which case i dropped it down to 2nd while doing 90kph, yes all possible if you double clutch and match the revs right... you wont get the jerk and wont do damage to your gearbox/clutch if you match it right.

Oh, and I found that in tip i had to drop down to 2nd for overtaking and going around corners, but with manual 3rd is fine, unless i wanna really slingshot outta that corner in 2nd.. this is where your heel-to-toe downshifting comes in handy for smooth down shifts.
Last edited by G1 on Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

yeah same here if someone could help

when you slow down to even 15 or 20kms it just stays on gear 3 and keeps it that way so it would be going very slow unlike my commi it changes to gear 2 straght away when it gets below 40kms?
elmo
Grease Monkey

auto's

Post by elmo »

Don't know that much about tips, but on standard autos there is a "Kick Down Cable" which drops the car back a gear when you plant your foot. I think it is vaccuum actuated and pulls a lever on the slushbox.
Dont ask me anything more, this info is related to Falcon. If you know where it is tighten it, but not too much or the car will jump up and down gears while you are driving along. Otherwise, mention it when they do the next service and it should be included in the price.
From memory it needs adjusting as your box and bands begin to wear.
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

(in tip mode) I would generally never drop down to first at all. This isnt good for the box. I only drop to 2nd if i am feeling like thrashing it a bit. I only take off from first. I'm pretty sure the invecs II computer only drops to 3rd gear even when going 5km. I think this is because there is a big diff with 3rd to 2nd and would cause no stress on the tranny. I also never use the gears to slow down , only to accelerate
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

When turning a corner, the gear box automatically downshifts. How do I downshift then if the gear box is doing it itself??
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

When turning a corner, the gear box automatically downshifts. How do I downshift then if the gear box is doing it itself??
Oragami
Apprentice

Post by Oragami »

GPXXX wrote:get a manual - you'll find the 5th gear there LOL... 8)

hey kirby, which high school did you go to? i drive past my old uni every now and then (Swinburne Hawthorn) and it sure gets the attention LOL!!

i also love it when i cruise past the girls school in my town, esp when they're waiting for their school buses hahaha... a couple of them had asked for a ride before LOL... :wink:

Hey GPXXX...U r a ex-Swiny 2? When did u finished??? I always drop by @ Swinburne every now and then cos my current uni is in Toorak