Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SchumieFan
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: It exists, a MIVEC 6A13 2.5L Twin Turbo FTO

Post by SchumieFan »

EFA
Bennoz wrote:
spetz wrote:To be honest I was expecting a bit more excitement over this.

I've considered/wanted to build this motor. But it's the cost of it and at the end it won't be worth 1/10th of what you put into it, plus for that kind of money today there are pretty enticing options.

There's the cheap option too, of OEM bottom end, stock cams etc, but it seems like such a half measure, and maybe modifying the 6A12 is a better option at this stage.
Mate its cost me 20 grand just to get a regular 6A13 working right, I'd hate to think what it would of cost to rip the motor apart as well. I've got another 6A13 here at thome that I'm rebuilding with forgies, but I'm doing it slowly over time as funds allow. Purely to replace the one that's currently in the car, cause putting 18 pound through it all day everyday isn't exactly good for its lifespan.

Plus all this sh*t is getting old news for me. I earn enough these days to be able to go & buy a 300kw car off the shelf. I got real tired of going to & from a workshop for 2 years & throwing spanners at my mechanics as they fucked up time & time again, resulting in me doing half the work.

Now get off my lawn!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

This ^ :cheers:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Bennoz wrote: Mate its cost me 20 grand just to get a regular 6A13 working right, I'd hate to think what it would of cost to rip the motor apart as well. I've got another 6A13 here at thome that I'm rebuilding with forgies, but I'm doing it slowly over time as funds allow. Purely to replace the one that's currently in the car, cause putting 18 pound through it all day everyday isn't exactly good for its lifespan.

Plus all this sh*t is getting old news for me. I earn enough these days to be able to go & buy a 300kw car off the shelf. I got real tired of going to & from a workshop for 2 years & throwing spanners at my mechanics as they fucked up time & time again, resulting in me doing half the work.
How much is the rebuild costing you including all parts, machining etc?
If it were to pay someone to build the 6A12/13 engine for me, it would be a definite deal breaker. Part of the allure is for me to build it by myself. But I know what you mean, you budget something will cost 5K, it turns out costing 10K.

I totally agree with you though with getting sick and tired of the whole modifying scene. A Sydney mechanic did my 6A12 conversion so I had to drive from Canberra to Sydney and back many times to get everything sorted. There were times I just wanted to strangle the mechanic.