started air intake

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

maggsy
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by maggsy »

can they only be ordered over the net? i was planning on getting the pod tommorrow.

do u know of any retail shops that would sell them.
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

YOu could try Autobarn .. but any retail store is just gonna charge overly inflated prices .. your best bet for value for money is to get from the internet..

Only other brand that comes to mind besides HKS / K&N is Apexi

just don't buy a cheapie no name knock off
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

I went down to Autobarn today to get a pod and ended up getting a K&N for $69 ($10 off coz it had no box). :D

I removed the front bar and replaced the stock lower air feed with my new 80mm monza rubber one, replaced the grill mesh on the front bar with some new chrome stuff and replaced the side light bulbs.

I then had to go down to Autobrn yet again to get a mini breather filter and also picked up a heat shield for the pod to suffice while i'm in the process of building a box.

By the time i had finished installing all of that i had run out of time to fit the intake pipe so i replaced the bar and ran the new CAI into the stock box and called it a day.

I did come across a problem though. the bracket which holds the battery in place is way to big and because of this i had a lot of trouble when i was trying to fit the new pipe. that's one of the reasons why i gave up on it a left it for another day.

i had a productive day though so all i need to do now is figure out a way around the battery and i'm ready to go.
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

thought i'd post up some pics.

work in progress :arrow:

feeding the tube (i had to remove the washer bottle to get to one of the stock pipes bolts, was a bit of a f*** around)

What it currently looks like.

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

simple, relocate battery to boot :D
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Which requires a fully sealed battery, double insulted cabling & a reasonable structure to hold the battery in the boot... once you've done all that, its legal! :D

But seriously, I turned that top battery mounting bracket around 180 degrees & was able to create an inch or 2 more clearance for the pipe.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Which requires a fully sealed battery, double insulted cabling & a reasonable structure to hold the battery in the boot... once you've done all that, its legal!
LEGAL :lol: , coming from the man with nos in his boot :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

:lol:

maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

Bennoz wrote:I turned that top battery mounting bracket around 180 degrees & was able to create an inch or 2 more clearance for the pipe.
i will give it a try.

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:lol:

Hey, I just thought i'd let you know. Like I know nos is not legal when hooked up :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

:lol: OK, thanks for the info........BENNOS, bahahaha that should be your new name 8)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Bennoz wrote:Which requires a fully sealed battery, double insulted cabling & a reasonable structure to hold the battery in the boot... once you've done all that, its legal! :D

But seriously, I turned that top battery mounting bracket around 180 degrees & was able to create an inch or 2 more clearance for the pipe.
Not that hard to do...

I already had a sealed Battery... Just buy a battery box to suit... Bolt it to the floorpan of the FTO... Drill a 8mm Hole in the corner and use some tubing to vent it to the underside of the car...

Voila!....

Even had my mate from Traffic Branch inspect it...

Took no more than 1.5 hours...

Will post up DIY if ya like...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

FtoSam wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Which requires a fully sealed battery, double insulted cabling & a reasonable structure to hold the battery in the boot... once you've done all that, its legal! :D

Not that hard to do...

I already had a sealed Battery... Just buy a battery box to suit... Bolt it to the floorpan of the FTO... Drill a 8mm Hole in the corner and use some tubing to vent it to the underside of the car...

Voila!....

Even had my mate from Traffic Branch inspect it...

Took no more than 1.5 hours...

Will post up DIY if ya like...
Yes please :D
LED ALL the things.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Aye mate, can you include some instructions for running the cabling to the boot as well?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Righto... when the car is back, i'll get straight onto it...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

FtoSam wrote:Righto... when the car is back, i'll get straight onto it...
:thumleft:

mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

maggsy wrote:
FtoSam wrote:Righto... when the car is back, i'll get straight onto it...
:thumleft:
+1
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Hey has anyone who's swapped over to a pod filter used the standard airbox? I've got mine like that atm and it seems to be doin ok. I think it might be a bit better than a heatshield, especially those that barely cover the pod. I dunno what's your thoughts???
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yano28 wrote:Hey has anyone who's swapped over to a pod filter used the standard airbox? I've got mine like that atm and it seems to be doin ok. I think it might be a bit better than a heatshield, especially those that barely cover the pod. I dunno what's your thoughts???
definitely better than a dodgy heatshield, or no box at all..

Haven't seen any verifiable Dyno evidence of using the stock airbox over a custom one.. 've heard 1 person say that the stock airbox is better .. but IMO I don't see how it could be.. theres too many bends & blockages leading up to the stock one..
you want the most direct, least complicated intake piping leading up to the filter & a closed in, temperature resistant enclosure..

some people who have used the stock airbox have drilled some holes in it for ventilation .. if you're using the stock box, i hope you've ditched the stock piping as well.. and you should run an air ram pipe from the front bumper up to the intake for the airbox..
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

yeah mate stock piping has been ripped completly off and replaced with sexy silicone piping. I haven't gotten around to swapping the lower feed though. I've been on the look out for a nice fat, thick and wide funnel type attachment that i can mount behind my grill and then lead back up through into the box with some piping.

Stocky airbox will have to do for now as technically no air box = defect. Carbon fibre ones are way to expensive and making one up with metal will just conduct way too much heat. Should have a play around with CF!!