started air intake

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

maggsy
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

started air intake

Post by maggsy »

i went down to The local 'supercheap auto' and picked up 2 90degree silicon pipes, 1 is 76mm and the other is 76mm then flows into 70mm to fit the TB. i then bought a piece of aluminium pipe (also from supercheap) and fit the silicon bends either end.

all i need to do now is cut the silicon pipes to fit in the engine bay neatly and get a pod.

after that is fitted i will fit a new external cold air feed from the front bar. i have bought a monza 80mm ribbed tube which should just screw up throught the hole for the stock pipe.

can't wait to see the end result :D
Last edited by maggsy on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You're a diligent reader Maggsy, that should do the job rather nicely :thumleft:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

where did you get the alloy pipe from and how much. Any one know where i can get the same pipes but in green looked everywhere. can only find red and blue and black
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

i got it from Supercheap straight off the shelf but any auto shop should sell them.

it cost $30

just had to cut about 1" off the end to make it the ideal length ;)
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

looking good...does the piping make much difference when adding a pod filter ? would the results be the same if you used the standard pipes ?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Getting rid of the standard pipe & its restrictive bend has proved to release upwards of 4kws... not bad for a $50 buck upgrade.
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

standard pipes ar all wierd shapes and restrict the flow of air. and dont even ask how many bends there are in the stock CAI pipe 8O

if your not really into the look of a pod filter then you can buy a K&N panel filter that fits directly into the stock air box and it will greatly increase air flow. i'm more of a pod man myself though. the growl, the look and the better air flow.

i haven't actually put this on my car yet but i did measure it all so i know it will fit. i am going to try to make some sort of box someday as well.

dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Any one know where i can get the same pipes but in green looked everywhere
Just do what I did. I had a red UAS pipe, but is now blue. The high temp paint costs $10 from Autobahn and does a great job ;)
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    I8A4RE
    QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

dstocks wrote:
    Any one know where i can get the same pipes but in green looked everywhere
    Just do what I did. I had a red UAS pipe, but is now blue. The high temp paint costs $10 from Autobahn and does a great job ;)
    Awesome thanks man :D
    CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
    tintin
    Grease Monkey

Post by tintin »

good job 8)
    coilovers!! gaurenteed to make boobs bounce :)
    Delvance
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

+1 on the UAS pipe. Really is a good piece of kit. The intake is 4" on the UAS and having a 4" filter on it is perfect.

I actually upgraded for awhile to a higher flowing 3.75" mouth pod but it still decreased performance top end, low end was better. Goes to show the wider and more air the intake can hold the better for when mivec kicks in and gets air hungry.

Ideally i should've found a higher flowing 4" connection pod.
    bushido
    Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Dstocks was any preparation necessary when you painted youre UAS intake pipe? I have some leftover blue caliper paint and wanted to paint my red one blue?
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    ###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Not for mine, but it was fairly clean. Youd need to make sure there was no oily residue on it before you did it.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      bushido
      Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Would I use some turps to get rid of all the oil? Mine is about 4 months old
      ###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
      maggsy
      Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

if it's greasy then use thinners but if it's just dusty then give it a wash with water and let it dry.

maggsy
      Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

does anyone have any reccomendations for a pod filter that i can buy off the shelf in an auto shop?

K&N is obviously the first one that came to mind but do they come in different types or materials. and if so what would be the best?

thanks.

mr-charisma
      Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

maggsy
      Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

i'm not really a big fan of the foam filters. i've read that sometimes the foam will begin to pull away from the edges and begin to let unfiltered air through.

i was just going to go to Autobarn to get one tomorrow but wondered what would be best, i know that some can be cleaned and some can't for example. and some are wet and someare dry (i think)?

eThix
      Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

hks has the best results on a fto.
      just replace the foam bits regularly and you will be fine :)
      mr-charisma
      Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

costs about $40 for a filter element .. as Ethix said, best performance results on FTO & good filtering results too ..