HKS Super Power FLOW Vs BlitZ Sonic Power Air Cleaner

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by AMACHA »

ok i bought delvances setup and also i just wanted to know since i will be needing an oil catch tank what size do i need 9mm or 15mm?
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

S1LVERFISH wrote:if you wanna change your intake pipe, On The Run have a kit available.
$180 with filter, not sure of the price without filter.

http://ontherunmotorsports.com/catalog/ ... cts_id=199

Seeing that you're in melb, johnny will probably install it for you for free too.
I have this set-up. You need to change the filter though coz the one they give you isnt that flash.

Doesn't take long to install it, just remove your old pipe and connect the new. You would need to box it up though, windscreen heat shield works a treat.
FTO99R
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO99R »

Everyone seems to have forgotten the Blitz Sonic Power. Anyway I've got one on mine but it came with the car so I've got nothing to compare it to. Anyone heard good/bad things about them?
Ecnerual
Apprentice

Post by Ecnerual »

Mate,

That Blitz one looks preety nice, but definately dont get the HKS one
they're not the best type of air filters
My suggestion is:

Get either a K & N pod filter (i have on mine) you can realy hear the suction when you put the accelerator down

or

If you have the money, go get an Apexi air filter system which is probably the best one
which will set ya back about $200

if you live in sydney - go to MU Secret in parramatta (www.musecret.com.au)
they have an APEXI air system for the FTO

so yea if you really want to get a good air filter - go with the top 2 names man
1. Apexi
2. K&N
i think everybody would agree
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Delvance wrote:
Ecnerual wrote: i think everybody would agree
Lol, not really...

There is so much rule of thumb and bs out there for filters and blah blah blah. K&N is good yeah, but i've seen some horrid tests for Apexi. Bottom line is, the pod sits behind the headlight in the fto and short of driving into a sandstorm, you're gonna be fine even with front bar cold air ducting. Most fto's are n/a and don't suck that hard either compared to FI where filter is more crucial.

I've seen some negative tests for the hks unit as well but it flows decent. My fto was running a hks filter most of it's life and it outputs higher than average numbers mod for mod compared to other fto data i gathered off this site. Your combustion chamber will also likely incinerate most that gets past the filter too.
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

The difference between all the different brands is probably too negligible to even worry about, especially on an N/A. If you must pod, box it up, route a decent CAI, and you're set. Upgrading the intake pipe probably produces better results than worrying about whether your HyperMegaSuperIntake Filer Plus II is better than the next brand...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

kid_dynamite wrote:The difference between all the different brands is probably too negligible to even worry about, especially on an N/A. If you must pod, box it up, route a decent CAI, and you're set. Upgrading the intake pipe probably produces better results than worrying about whether your HyperMegaSuperIntake Filer Plus II is better than the next brand...
+1!
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

And don't forget to make sure the pod is 4" connection.
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

hey delvance, did you end up selling all your panel filters?who stocks them in sydney?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

manofwood wrote:hey delvance, did you end up selling all your panel filters?who stocks them in sydney?
Hey mate, yeah i did. I never had panel filters for sale though. I had an HKS induction kit with extra foam replacement filters for it. They're readily available via online performance shops otherwise certain tuning shops/garages can get them/stock them such as IS motor racing at rockdale.
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

thanks for that
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:
kid_dynamite wrote:The difference between all the different brands is probably too negligible to even worry about, especially on an N/A. If you must pod, box it up, route a decent CAI, and you're set. Upgrading the intake pipe probably produces better results than worrying about whether your HyperMegaSuperIntake Filer Plus II is better than the next brand...
+1!
+2

Dude do have an exhaust or r you planning on getting one? cause man, it dont matter whether you box your pod or not if you got a loud exhaust (which is probably what you will go for considering you want noise from induction, i maybe wrong though) you aint gonna hear much of induction noise bro, well not im my case anyway. when i put the foot to the floor all i hear is grunt (haha) fromt the back end. so do your little baby and yourself a favour and box your pod. IMO :D
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

To keep to the safe side of things im going to get the K&N Replacement panel filter anyone know the product code for this? and judging by the air filter tests i should drill some holes in the box to get an extra 1 to 1.5 kws which isnt much but the more the merrier. Question is is this legal? if not will they notice it and also where do i drill the holes how many do i drill etc?
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Make sure you drill on the air intake side of the airbox and not the engine side of the airbox :!:
LED ALL the things.
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

ok will do, does anyone know the product number for then k&n replacement panel filter?
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

I was pretty happy with this until I got around to getting a boxed K&N pod and ran a pipe to the bumper. I didn't go crazy - you could drill more if you wanted. You do get a little bit more gruntier sound as well from a drilled box.

And obviously only drill the part of the box so the air still has to go through the filter... :D
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

33-2027 is the product number