0-100 for tip??

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Blaze
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Blaze »

payaya wrote:Does anyone else have my problem?

I drive around in tiptronic for a while, then i put in back into drive cause i cant be stuffed shifting anymore, come to a set of lights but totally forgetting im back in drive, take off from lights, think im still in tip mode push gear lever up to shift up and the damn thing goes into nutural!
Happened to me sometimes. When I use tip, i sometimes forgot to shift up when i rev it up, I thought it was in Drive.
When it was in D, i shifted it up ,and it went neutral, and u dont shift it back before the engine rev is down, just to prolong the life. Quite annoying and embarassing , especially when you are in hurry.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The tip +/- is purely electrical and you can reverse this if you want. This would then overcome your issues. It would take a little while to get used to it, but it would solve your problem. You just need to change the wires around.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i have about 80kw at the wheels at 3-4k rpms, it gets up there pretty quickly
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

who would be able to reverse it?
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

It is pretty easy to do... there was a website somewhere that tells you how to do it, I'll look for it now (aren't I a nice guy 8) )...

http://www.type-f.co.uk/gear_lever/inst ... -guide.pdf
This one tells you how to remove the gear lever (it is a PDF file so you will need acrobat reader to look at it)

http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/gears.html
This one tells you how to change + and -.
LED ALL the things.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

payaya wrote:I drive around in tiptronic for a while, then i put in back into drive cause i cant be stuffed shifting anymore, come to a set of lights but totally forgetting im back in drive, take off from lights, think im still in tip mode push gear lever up to shift up and the damn thing goes into nutural!
Has happened to me a couple of times. The most important thing to remember is not to panic and make a complete stop before sticking it back into drive. The first time it happened to me, I wasn't thinking clearly and instantly regreted shifting it into drive while still rolling in neutral.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

thank god for rev limiters!

What happens if you stick it back into drive without stopping first?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

hmmm i've done this couple of time, thats what u get when u don't look at your dash indicators, & cover up the gears one with some manual look alike stuff! :oops:

Anyway it choked a bit when it happen to me, not a big deal, but i know is not a good sign.

Ohhh & i don't have a Rev or Speed limiter in mine, cause it was override by the Apexi RSM!! Only rev pass nine grand once, another "not a good sign"
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm not sure what happens exactly, but the owner's manual states:

"Always press the brake pedal when shifting from: N>D, N>R, R>P"

I doubt it would cause damage to the tranny unless you are going fast when shifting back to D.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I think that maybe to prevent law suits from idiots who stick the car in reverse before looking, or into drive when they are parked and hit something or someone. Mitsubishi can refer back to their owners manual and say we told you to have your foot on the brake!

Anyone know whether this can actually cause any damage, wouldn't the automatic be able to handle this and just pop it into whatever gear it needed to be in?
Blaze
Apprentice

Post by Blaze »

ruchi wrote:Anyone know whether this can actually cause any damage, wouldn't the automatic be able to handle this and just pop it into whatever gear it needed to be in?
I notice if I shift from N to D or D to N when the car is rolling, the tip does manage to suit whatever gear in relation to speed and engine rev.
my understanding, it would not damage the box, if those shiftings are done in a low rev, say below 1800 rpm. The lower the better. but only within N to D or D to N. and D to tip or tip to D.
I m no expert in it. What will damage the gear quicker is : when sometimes people make a forward and reverse, like 3 point turn, and they shift it before the car is completely stop, even they are braking, but it is still rolling.(i.e. : in a hurry)
That will definitely ruin the box.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

i reckon ive dont some damage to my gearbox from this mistake, usually when going to nutural to D.

I drove a BA and the shift is the other way around, i guess its a good idea to shift the way to shifts but it will get some time to get use to it.

Thast by in the BA i didnt want to use the tip shift as i was too scared to shift the wrong way.

hats why when i drive my FTO now, its always in tip! :)
Blaze
Apprentice

Post by Blaze »

payaya wrote:i reckon ive dont some damage to my gearbox from this mistake, usually when going to nutural to D.
I drove a BA and the shift is the other way around, i guess its a good idea to shift the way to shifts but it will get some time to get use to it.
Thast by in the BA i didnt want to use the tip shift as i was too scared to shift the wrong way.
Not being fanatic, but it is just the fact.
The FTO tip is really damned smart! Coz, I rev 2nd gear till about 6000rpm( i think, cant really remember the exact position of the needle, but MIVEC was ON), then MISTAKENLY shift it to (-).......O M G !!!
What happened was: It didnt change to 1st gear, but stayed in 2nd and then ofcourse i shifted it the other way. Really a smart INVECS!!!
Blaze
Apprentice

Post by Blaze »

Back to subject now.
I managed 0-100km/h in 7 sec plus. (in sega gt pc game)
:lol: dont be too serious people...
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Blaze wrote:
payaya wrote:i reckon ive dont some damage to my gearbox from this mistake, usually when going to nutural to D.
Not being fanatic, but it is just the fact.
The FTO tip is really damned smart! Coz, I rev 2nd gear till about 6000rpm( i think, cant really remember the exact position of the needle, but MIVEC was ON), then MISTAKENLY shift it to (-).......O M G !!!
What happened was: It didnt change to 1st gear, but stayed in 2nd and then ofcourse i shifted it the other way. Really a smart INVECS!!!
im pretty sure the BA has the same feature but i didnt want to try as its not my car.

the BA gearbox is smoother though.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Well if the BA is so good why dont you buy one! :roll:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

hnm738 wrote:oh and every time i step the pedal hard in 2nd or 3rd i can hear the engine making rattly noises i know its not the tappets especially happens when i have the aircon on

happens more in 3rd

OK guys getting back on topic. This sounds to me exactly like detonation/pinging/whatever you want to call it. Aircon puts more of a load on the engine, and this contributes to the problem.
I'm guessing when you say "step hard in 2nd or 3rd" you would notice it more when you initially start to accelerate from a (relatively) slow speed or going up a steep hill, compared to cruising at a constant speed.

Better take it to a mechanic and get a tune up done, only use premium unleaded fuels (eg optimax, bp ultimate etc). If you can find a mechanic with a proper diagnostic computer (MUT-II??), they will be able to see if any error codes are being reported.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts