started air intake

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

payaya
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by payaya »

so ya traded the stock intake for round tubing which isnt air tight to the box?
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

that's how it is atm but i still haven't finished it yet.

it still feeds the box with cold air and the round pipe is squished it there pretty good so there's little chance of hot air getting in.

even if it was it would be very minimal and it is still better then having a completely unshielded pod.
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

tintin
Grease Monkey

Post by tintin »

ive read some where i think the mivec owners site. to help with the cold air to the engine this person detached the water pipes to the tb and just put a bit of pipe the keep the water flowing round the engine because the tb is heated from thoses pipes. so that cold air will get warm going in to the plenem chamber ( just pointing this out if its worth doing the same??? )
coilovers!! gaurenteed to make boobs bounce :)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

payaya wrote:so ya traded the stock intake for round tubing which isnt air tight to the box?
It would still be better than the stock pipe IMO, as the stock pipe is so restricting. When i replaced my box with pod, performance went down slightly as the radiator fan blew straight into the pod, so then i put a side wall (only one wall, no top or sides) on to stop the fans hot air getting in and it pulled much harder than when with the stock box. I now have made an enclosed box and can not actually tell any difference between when i have the top on or off.

So therefore IMO, i dont believe the box needs to air tight as long as it is free flowing and away from the MAJORITY of the hot engine air especially the fans. However in saying this i have not done dyno runs to prove this theroy so it is only what i can tell by driving it
Simon :D
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

I8AFRE wrote:
payaya wrote:so ya traded the stock intake for round tubing which isnt air tight to the box?
It would still be better than the stock pipe IMO, as the stock pipe is so restricting. When i replaced my box with pod, performance went down slightly as the radiator fan blew straight into the pod, so then i put a side wall (only one wall, no top or sides) on to stop the fans hot air getting in and it pulled much harder than when with the stock box. I now have made an enclosed box and can not actually tell any difference between when i have the top on or off.

So therefore IMO, i dont believe the box needs to air tight as long as it is free flowing and away from the MAJORITY of the hot engine air especially the fans. However in saying this i have not done dyno runs to prove this theroy so it is only what i can tell by driving it

+1 ....The performance gain is pretty noticable. My car pulls a lot harder overall so I'm confident with the switch. Plus the induction noise echo's off the box and sounds like something to make honda boys cry, especially once mivec hits. I'm using one of those k&n's with the xstream top so my pod has a good surface area. Air tight or not it's still getting good enough flow. I can seal the pipe in anyways but atm I cbf'd
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I8AFRE wrote:

An intake it oly as good as its weakest point. Look at the tubing near the TB that looks as restrictive as the piping you removed.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

payaya wrote:
I8AFRE wrote:

An intake it oly as good as its weakest point. Look at the tubing near the TB that looks as restrictive as the piping you removed.
+1

You mean wehre its running into the airbox? cause yeh, looks pretty squished & restrictive
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

payaya wrote:
I8AFRE wrote:

Are you talking about the stock piping (on page 2)??? If so, look at his first post (page 1) he's replacing all that as well, he just run out of time it was getting dark.

Seems to me ppl arent paying attention ha ha

Ps if you werent talking about the stock piping on page 2, i have no idea what your talking about lol
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

atm it's just the cold air feed into the stock box, it is currently running the stock panel filter and the stock intake pipe.

i am going to wait until the engine is installed and then fit the new pipe and pod, while i'm waiting i will have a go at building a box for it, had a look at Simons and it gave he gave me good tips on how i would go about putting one together.

when the intake is all finished the CAI will not be squished, it will be running into the newly made box feeding fresh air sraight to the pod. from the pod it will run through 3" pipe straight through to the TB.
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

i decided that i'd fit the intake pipe and pod today coz i was 8ored.

OMG i love the sound it make 8O (Mivec makes me happy in the pants :lol: 8O )

before anyone says it....yes i know i need a box for it. I will get around to it one day soon.

heres some pic's

Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Where did you get the breather filter from?
LED ALL the things.
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

really does make the engine bay stand out a lot as well as the obvious power gain. Great job ! :)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Why are you using turbo clamps the are way more expensive than normal.......but they look sweeeeetttt. Nice job mate
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Supplanter wrote:Where did you get the breather filter from?
Stoopercheap auto have them. Around $17 bucks. The fittings they come with are kinda sh*tty so i used this thermal rubber glue crap to seal it properly
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

i got the mini breather from Super Cheap Auto, about $15 i think. They have 2 different types an open one in which the filter elements are exposed, and the one i got that has a metal casing.

as for the turbo clamps? well they look better then normal ones.(although i didn't realise they were specificaly turbo clamps until u just said) :lol:

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah they do look what nicer. Im not 100% sure but from what i can see they do look like it :D