Tightening handbrake cable

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Tightening handbrake cable

Post by mr-charisma »

Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know how to tighten the handbrake cable? just want to check before I go messing around with it & stuffing soemthing up
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

there is a DIY for it... remember reading it but cant rememebr where now lol

um... tighten it from under the center console thingo (under where the 6 stacker would be)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I'll see if i can post some pics to see if I need to tighten the bolt i'm thinking I need to..
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

take it to a brake shop for a check up... theres a chance one of the rear calipers is siezed... one of mine is... and thats the problem...

But could be just the cable... but i'd check the brake caliper first... (mine was passenger side)

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
pimped
Grease Monkey

Post by pimped »

Turn the nut under the cup holder to tighten and loosen the hand brake. See pic below:
FTOnick
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOnick »

is this very sensitive? how far do you need to wind the nut to get it much tighter? it won't snap if i do it too far will it?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

the one on the left hand side of the pic?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No you would have to do it insanely tight to break it, if thats even possible. Just tighten, check tighten check until you are happy
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
pimped
Grease Monkey

Post by pimped »

mr-charisma wrote:the one on the left hand side of the pic?
yep. that's it.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

If you wind it up more than 10mm to get it tight, its probably time to think about replacing the cables. They do stretch over time & the FTO is notorious for having a really poor lever angle on the hand brake system. Even new, you need to wrench the handle up tight to stop it from rolling.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

If I have to replace the cables, please tell me I only need to replace the short section up to where it splits off into the two cables..
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No you may need to replace the long ones. However my handbrake works awesome but yes they do stretch over time. But before you get too carried away whats the problem
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Check your rear pads as well. If they are low, you'll loose tension as well.
FTOnick
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOnick »

I tried to tighten my handbrake but it is so hard to get something into the little hole. My thing seems to be as tight as i can get it but the handbrake is still so weak :? My brake pads are in good nick too.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

FTOnick wrote:but it is so hard to get something into the little hole. My thing seems to be as tight
Yeah i suffer from the same problem :lol:
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

I8A4RE wrote:
FTOnick wrote:but it is so hard to get something into the little hole. My thing seems to be as tight
:slap:
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Yeah i had to do this on my FTO, it was pretty easy work, you shouldn't have any troubles.
FTOnick
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOnick »

I8A4RE wrote:
:moon:

But really.. i think i have got it as tight as it can go and its so weak :(
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Just take out the entire rear console, cupholder & all .. easy.