G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

a stocker is gold, its behind the flair
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

ye, i saw it the other day.

It looks too big and flashy for a standard ECU though. :?
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

just got my car a couple of weeks ago... any guidelines to help decide whether I should reset my ECU or not??

what do I get out of reseting the ECU?? what benefits?
the car's done 100K ..
thanks guys..
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hi lal,

Well, if your car is a manual then it doesn't make any difference so don't even bother about resetting your ECU.

However, if your car is a tip, then resetting will make the car re-learn how you drive your car.
So, currently the car is used to the previous owner and how that person were driving.
But by resetting the ECU, you are in fact making your car suited to you.
Therefore, at first after you reset you ECU, your car will seem a little bit funny as it is trying to figure out how you drive, but eventually it will adjust it self.

The main benefits are that it could save you more petrol, as it won't be changing gears when you least expected it, due to how the previous owner had been driving.
And a more comfortable and smooth rides for you, as it will try and drive the car the way you want to drive the car.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

resetting a manual will have some effects, for example the ecu alters air fuel ratio depending on the ron rating of fuel used.
It also does some degree of learning how you drive, I find a good thrashing always leave her wanting more
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

fto12345 wrote:Hi lal,
However, if your car is a tip, then resetting will make the car re-learn how you drive your car.
So, currently the car is used to the previous owner and how that person were driving.
But by resetting the ECU, you are in fact making your car suited to you.
Therefore, at first after you reset you ECU, your car will seem a little bit funny as it is trying to figure out how you drive, but eventually it will adjust it self.

Cheers,

just on this couple of comments

1. the TIP box has a seperate ECU. INVECS II is not controlled by the Engine ECU

2. The TIP ECU is constantly relearning driving styles no need to reset it, just take it for a nice long drive the way you normally drive and it'll learn it.
MiVEC

Post by MiVEC »

how i can reset my ecu?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

just unplug your battery for about 30mins :)
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

just asking a stopid question

but what revs should i change gears to get good fuel consumption? on a tiptronic
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I always thought that the less revs you're in, the better the fuel economy. Hence, shift up whenever possible to save fuel.
When I use tiptronic and leave the box in higher revs, my fuel consumption definitely increases.