FTO Prices

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EyezOnMei
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO Prices

Post by EyezOnMei »

Umm, has anyone else noticed, maybe its just mainly in Victoria, the lack of FTOs for sale lately? And how the prices are all above 20k again!?!?
For a while I saw a whole heap going around the 15k or under mark and suddenly you're lucky to get pre 96 models for under 20k!?!?!? With 80k on the clock!?
Any idea why. I heard its harder to get compliance plates but dunno how true that is...
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

with the change in the grey import scheme there are fewer importers now and the cost of compliancing a car has increased...
so prices may go up a little..
still good cars though :)
WILL
Grease Monkey

Post by WILL »

I don't think anyone has compliance for the FTOs yet. That's the reason.

Check the raws.dotars website for the updates.

The only vehicles that has complaince is:

Chasers JZX90
Supra
RX-7 series VIII
Soarer
R33
S13
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Re: FTO Prices

Post by D-TRAIN »

EyezOnMei wrote:Umm, has anyone else noticed, maybe its just mainly in Victoria, the lack of FTOs for sale lately? And how the prices are all above 20k again!?!?
For a while I saw a whole heap going around the 15k or under mark and suddenly you're lucky to get pre 96 models for under 20k!?!?!? With 80k on the clock!?
Any idea why. I heard its harder to get compliance plates but dunno how true that is...
For the sake of depreciation, lets hope it stays like that for awhile eh! I'm sure it's what most FTO owners would like to hear!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Yeah now that we own one, it's not depreciating as much. Let's hope the market or agreed values in our insurance policies reflect this :wink:
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Ok, so it is true about the lack of compliance plates then? Goodie, b/c I feel like changing cars and perhaps this will be my best opportunity.
As much as I've enjoyed the FTO, and spent countless hours working on it, I just don't feel safe in that car! And the money I'd spend to make it feel safe enough could be spent getting a 'somewhat' nicer, more modern car...
I know I'm going to regret this because the FTO has been a great 1st car that took a lot of effort to get, but its time to move on... I haven't even had it for a year yet, oh wellz. I can't decide what to move onto next as the FTO was supposed to be an interim car till the RX8 (when I started full time work) but I think I'll of something =P
Thanks for the answers guys!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

As a guide I bought my FTO GR in 2000/2001 ?? (can't remember exactly) for about $25,000.
My insurance renewal this week (Dawes) states the market value is $18,000.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

just bought my fto this week and was speaking to the guy who was doing an independent check on it. He mentioned that they have now stopped importing FTO's because it needs to be fully complianced... which is not worth the effort... not only will we see less FTO's but less small importers too... so you guys are right.. it's because of the compliancing.... that's the reason for higher prices and slower depreciation :lol:
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

its only till the application is completed then the flow will return!
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Yeah apparently the FTO compliancing are coming within the next few months, so now definitely seems like the best time to sell if you are able to part with the pretty baby.
However, it seems the volumes of cars which will be imported will be reduced significantly still as Aust govt is trying to reduce the number of imports into the country.
Good news is that higher quality cars, and less likely odometer has been fudged... Bad news, end of highly modded cars.
Hey, at least we don't have a 300% tax on imported cars *cough* malaysia *cough*.
WILL
Grease Monkey

Post by WILL »

Yes that is true

With the new laws you can only import a stock box.

Each workshop that has been approved can only comply a certain number of vehicles per year.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

I was told the same when I bought my FTO last week. The dealer said that laws were changing and it was going to be harder to bring imports into the country. He also said the there would be limits to how many cars can be imported by dealers. Either way, I dont care if the price goes up or down, I just got my FTO and I love it.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Hey Deeps, what did you end up getting?

What colour is your car? I might see you around. I'm from around your area as well.

Meanwhile, enjoy your ride!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Nah I'm only selling mine because I have the money to buy an s2000 now.
If I had a little bit more money to afford the s2000 outright, I wouldn't sell my FTO.

But I can't drive 2 cars at once, and I can't afford to pay register and insure both cars each year.

It's been a great car - I think I'll miss it.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

D-Train, my FTO is white. Im really enjoying my car, but my last car was a 1982 holden gemini so I guess you cant really compare them. Where r u located exactly D-Train? Is your FTO silver? Coz I think I have seen u around aswell. I'll keep an eye out 4 u 2.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Yup, I'm at West P Hills/C'brook and I haven't seen any other symphonic silver FTOs around our area. So, it could've been me. I have GPvR kitted GPX. I've seen a black one around, and usually you'd encounter one or two at Castle towers parking.

You're not FTO-97R by any chance?

Yeah likewise, I'll keep an eye out for you too.