Tiptronic box parts

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jeff
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Tiptronic box parts

Post by Jeff »

I am having trouble finding parts for my tip box. I know we share a lot of parts with Galants and Lancers, does anyone know if the box is simular to any other Mitsi models. Has anyone found parts for a tip box, particularly in Brisbane?
Thanks for the help.
Jeff
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

i'm pretty sure you'll find the tip boxes are identical with those used in magna's and lancers

do you know the part's you need (and part numbers?)

stephen
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

I think someone in Melbourne (Rxboy??) was saying the 5 speed tip box was not the same as the Magnas and Lancers as he was getting his re-conditioned.

Maybe he can shed some light on this.
From FTO to EVO......
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

from memory the magna engine is mounted 180 degrees from the FTO, however i would assume that a lot of the parts are the same. Any qualified Jap import mechanic would be able to advise on this.
wildfaye
Grease Monkey

Post by wildfaye »

hmm...if i m not wrong...

the ftos are 2wd, the magnas are 4wd, so the gearbox is the same except that the 4wd gearbox transmits to all 4 instead of 2 wheels.

initially i tot the Evo7 GTA and Galant vr4 gearbox is able to do a direct swap, but proved otherwise due to the 2/4wheel thingy.

correct me if i m wrong.

cheers
sam
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

There are 4wd and 2wd Magnas, with the latter being the more common variant. 4wd Magnas came out relatively recently.
From FTO to EVO......
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

When my 5-speed tip transmission was being reconditioned, the mechanic told me that he had to get some parts from Japan because there weren't any 5-speed tip FTOs being wrecked in Australia. I suggested using the parts from a Magna with a 5-speed INVECS-II box, but he assured me that they are not compatible. I really have no way of confirming this, but this guy is a reputable repairer of Jap import auto transmissions in Melbourne.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

My auto box will need to be serviced soon, do you mind telling me where you got your's done?

Cheers.
LED ALL the things.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

depends on what parts you need, i would think that the magna gearbox would be a lot different due to the fact its a very different engine, producing power down low and not a high revving design like our cars, also i dont think the lancers have a 5 speed tip, well not that im aware of, your finaly option would be the galant 6a12 model, which would be possible to source parts if you had the 4 speed, but i dont think there were any 5 speeds made, unless you sourced parts from a 97 model onwards, which would be ever harder then sourcing them from an fto. So i dunno what you can do except get the exact part names in which you need to replace, and ring up mitsubishi or go to mitshubishi and make sure you speak to a mechanic there, and just tell him you need those parts, is he aware of parts which are similar on any of the other mitsubishi cars sold in aust, or even take the broken parts to see if they could match them up.
good luck anyways
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Supplanter: I had mine done at Manuel Automatics on Settlement Rd in Thomastown. PM me if u want the phone number and exact address.