Air Filters?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

XXXFTO
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Air Filters?

Post by XXXFTO »

Hi Guys, I am on the lookout for a new air filter, i currently have the standard airbox.
I am not sure what brand to go for. Can anyone reccomend a unifilter, what about K&N. I do have a simota pod filter sitting on the shelf at the moment, but i don't mind forking out for a better one.
Has anyone got any experience with a full intake pod & piping.
I heard that oil based filters like the unifilter. may not be fully legal. Would a full intake really make much more of a difference than just the pod. Does anyone have heat sheilding for the pod if they have one?
Pain is just weakness leaving the body!!!
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Re: Air Filters?

Post by TheSentry »

XXXFTO wrote:I heard that oil based filters like the unifilter. may not be fully legal.
Any exposed air filter is illegal. The only way to meet legal requirements would be to have the pod in an enclosure. This is the case in NSW, but I'm not certain how the law applies to other states.

I'm currently considering changing my stock airfilter with another panel filter from K&N. I'd love to have a pod but I think I'll play it safe for now. :lol:
Last edited by TheSentry on Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

here is an example of a CAI install that totally encloses the pod from the hot engine bay, using a flexible heat shield with a snorkle to assist with cold air suction.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... all&gid=20
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Are you guys serious? In NSW you can't have a filter pod like a K&N attached to the air intake hose, where the filter element is exposed? What's the reason for that?
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

yeah I heard the same thing here in Victoria.

as a little unbelievable as it seems, it has to do with backfire setting the filter alight - obviously during deceleration.
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Does that mean my car won't pass an annual inspection? I guess that's what illegal means! Now I'm really glad the guy I bought it off gave me the original filter box.
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

andy wrote:What's the reason for that?
I actually believe it has to do with the noise made from a pod. I don't know if you'll have problems with the annual inspection, but cops will slap a defect sticker on your car with the requirement u go down to the EPA within 7 days to get it all checked.

I think your more likely to get defected for a loud zorst, but cops do love pulling over imports and giving them the once over. If u have your stock airbox handy, u should be able to fit it back on and avoid a hefty fine.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I think the criteria are emissions (as in exhaust emissions) and noise.
I think I also read something about the connection (eg bracket) of the air filter also...not too sure about that one.

check the rta website I guess

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

I too thought it was about emissions. More air in :arrow: more exhaust out.
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

XXXFTO, if you have a gr model then check out my post in the other airfilter thread :wink: