General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Chrisp
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Engine Rattle

Post by Chrisp »

Hey pals and gals,

when my engine is under load (accelerator pressed) and at low revs I get this rattling, metalic noise coming from the engine (or possibly the trans). It isn't very loud but it is noticeable and concerning.

Kinda sounds like piston rattle. As the revs increase it goes away, about 2300rpm. It doesnt always do it, just sometimes. Has anyone else heard anything like this? Any ideas?

Cheers
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

i think you got tappet probs just like me

im geting mine done today hopefully it be better

its like a ticking noise right?
Chiangstar
Grease Monkey

Post by Chiangstar »

i have a noise that sounds similar to what youre describing...it only happens when the revs are low and i plant my foot down...at first i thought it was some sort of pinging because it happens when you would normally get pinging....but i think its just the pod sucking air in now....it seems to come from that part of the car
demonjay
Apprentice

Post by demonjay »

I to have the exact same noise! I think i read somewhere that its the clutch. Apparently if you take the clutch out out of the car and shake it you will see why.
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

yeah i think it might be what demonjay has. Because sometimes my engine makes a rattling noise when its idling at the traffic lights. But when i push the clutch in the noise stops.

im pretty sure it isnt the intake air. I have a standard intake filter, and the noise sounds like a metalic rattling. But the noise does come at low revs when i plant my foot.

hnm738, let me know how u go with your tappets and if the noise goes.. where are you getting the job done.
Chiangstar
Grease Monkey

Post by Chiangstar »

i guess someone just has to replace their clutch and then we'll know .... how much are people paying for clutches? ive been quoted about 500 for a heavy duty clutch....not including labour.... what have other people been paying?
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hi guys,
Just some thing I know as well as some things that my car has as well.
I have a friend who is a mechanic and I have also been searching for places to service my car over a year ago.

If the noise is similar to a tapping sound, like some thing is hitting some thing, then it'll be your tappets. Only the GPX can adjust their tappets. Any mechanics should be able to adjust this for you. This tapping noise is always there. Most noticable when ideling. Only because at high revs, you just can't her it because of other noises. it's still there. You just can't hear it.

If it's a noise that sound like a grinding noise, and this happens when you are at about approx. 1200 ~ 1500rpm...and it gets louder untill you get to about 1800rpm, and it disappears.
If this is what it sounds like, and it does sound terribly loud, then it's your transmission problem. I have been quoted some thing like $1800 to fix this. It's apparently the bushes in your transmission has been worn out. I still haven't fixed mine as I don't think it causes that much of a problem. Although I shold get it fixed soon!
:)

Cheers.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

[quote="Chrisp"]yeah i think it might be what demonjay has. Because sometimes my engine makes a rattling noise when its idling at the traffic lights. But when i push the clutch in the noise stops.
[quote]

that is exactly what i'm getting, but strangely only after 30mins of driving.... doesn't occur when the car is running cold though'... :roll:
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

yeah it sounds like we all have the same problem......

- metalic rattling coming from (probably) the manual trans/clutch when under acceleration or idling at the traffic lights.
- noise goes when push clutch pedal in.
- not that loud, but still noticable

If anyone finds out exactly what it is, how to fix, how much, please post!!!
Im in melb, any other melb poeple want to meet up to compare rattles?? lol

BTW: I also have noisy tappets, they start making noise when the engine heats up. I did an oil change with 15W/50 oil and now its worse... so i think the oil must be too thin... :(
demonjay
Apprentice

Post by demonjay »

Hehe Chrisp, I've got the noisy tappets when its warmed up,It's funny that that from what i've read it's mainly noisy when cold, but we seem to have the opposite problem.I just had an oil change,and used Mobil 1 5w/50 it now runs a little quieter.
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

in my car:

the manual trans rattle occurs sometimes at idle (when hot mainly) and often when under acceleration at low revs (hot or cold).
pushing the clutch pedal in always stops the noise.

the tappets only become noisy when the engine heats up (at all revs, but cant hear over other noises at high revs)....
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

this noise is not to be confused with the tappet,s i have the same noise, and i also originally thought it was pinging.
It happenes esspecially when the car is under load, but then I read something on one of the other fto forums about it beeing an exaust pop or something like that. I think theres nothing u guys should worry about, its normal
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

my car is not manual so maybe im wrong about your noise

but my tappets all gone super quiet now

neways im using mobile1 5/50 oil im told that its not good for your car because its too loose cost me 55$ for that

also my mechanic put a bottle of "lifter free" oil in

the lifter free oil and adjusting the tappets cost me 160$ i think cause i had other things done as well
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

that oil would be ok if the car was brand new, but if not its just way to thin and the oil will sink down off the lifters, and get stuck, and you will have the same problems again. get a higher cold rating, or dont rev your car past 1.5krpms when its cold hehehe
elmo
Grease Monkey

noises

Post by elmo »

the noise that goes away when you push the clutch would be the thrust bearing. It is probably buggered and whenit heats up is seizes, that why it makes noise. When you engage the clutch the noise stops cause the bearing is against the pressure plate and being turned with a lot of force.
Sound about right? Probably $20 for the bearing and 500 for labour to fit. Would jucsty wiat till the clutch goes.
BTW insurance is putting a new clutch in mine, will find out the price.
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

yeah i agree with Elmo that its probably the thrust bearing making the noise. But it does it when its cold or hot, and sounds like a rattle, not a siezed bearing, so i think its just loose and rattles under load until the revs exceed 1900rpm.

let me know how you go with getting yours replaced? where are you having it done?

how are you getting insurance to pay for it????
cheers :)
elmo
Grease Monkey

insurance

Post by elmo »

got stolen and they toasted the clutch, among other things.
I thought i drove pretty hard, but in four days they managed to f**k heaps up.
The rattle should not happen "under load" unless the bearing is really far gone and rattles on the shaft. The bearing is able to spin freely when the clutch is out and should not be making very much noise???
Does the pedal click or feel funny at all?
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

nah the clutch feels fine. no clicks or noises or anything.
it rattles when i accelerate up to 1800rpm (in any gear) then stops.
also rattles at idle occasionally, but stops when i push the clutch in.
has to be something to do with the man trans....