General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EyezOnMei
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

How To Remove Rear Quarter Panels?

Post by EyezOnMei »

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone knew the safe procedure to remove the rear quarter panels.. U know the ones that vibrate like hell, riight next to the rear seats (or cargo space if other people prefer to call it that hehehe).
Anyway, I've tried removing it before, but it was a pain, but I got a feeling cos that day was just a 'test' and I didn't remove the rear seats as well. Anyone know the proper procedure so I don't damage the panels? I need to do this for sound deadening purposes.
Help is much appreciated, THANKS!!!
elmo
Grease Monkey

panels

Post by elmo »

quarter panels??? they are the metal ones on the outside which are welded to the roof???
on did you mean the little plastic trim thingys inside the car?
you just take the seats out and you can see the bolts, undo em and they come out easy.
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Yupz, tha plastic ones inside. Cool, thanks for that, I think that was my mistake the last time, being too lazy and not removing the rear seats first. But yeah, I know how easily that is done. Looks like if I'm going to do that I might as well sound deaden the metal part underneath the rear seats as well.
Thanks again elmo!!!
elmo
Grease Monkey

trims

Post by elmo »

chances are they are not bolted in anyway. From memory you need to remove the trims to do the rear speakers. When i pulled mine out there were no bolts in em. I think its cause they pull the stereos before they get imported and don't bother screwing em back together or lose the screws on the trip??
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Hmm, mine had bolts, but I know I have a screw or 2 missing in there somewhere, but they're not important so I don't mind. Also, the back of my seat doesn't have wood backing, and apparently there should be?!?!
Then again, my FTO's transmission lever doesn't have that plastic dust cover so bleh, things missing here and there I suppose...
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Where is the wood backing meant to be?

Both parts of my rear seats are foam and there's a really tacky plastic panel separating the car from the boot.

I had my panels off today and similar story, missing screws and even a different clip design from one side to the other! Soundproofing worked a treat though (see rear shelf / sub thread)
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

hahaha, I pulled the rear panels off today, like there are 2 screws plus one clip screw to remove...
Last time I did it w/o removing even the rear seat and I nearly cut off my fingers to put it back together... with everything removed, it just slides in...
So advice for anyone doing it, there are SCREWS TO REMOVE!
So take off your seats first.
Yeah, mine's foam only too and the tacky plastic thing, maybe that wood was 'aftermarket'. It only came up b/c I wanted to mount my amp on the seats rather than in the boot, but oh well, my car audio takes up 1/2 my 'boot' now =/
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

what did u guys do about sound deadoning those things ?? i had the same problem when i wired up the subs in my car, the entire rear armrests would vibrate like crazy, made the songs sound like crap
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Rear armrests? FTOs have rear armrests now!?!?! Hmm, I'll assume your talking bout the rear quarter panels...
Well, just take them off. Goto bunnings, buy some FLASHTAC (roofing tape) and some grease remover from super cheap.
Clean the plastic panels (the inside part which doesn't show when u put it back on) and then apply flashtac. If u willing, I'd do the metal part behing the panels as well as but I don't think that's too necessary, its mainly the doors that need the service holes filled etc.
Then, final touch, once again from super-cheap get the foam tape and then put it round the edges before placing it back in. This way its secure and won't vibrate etc...
But I suggest you do the flastac business to your rear parcel shelf as well. Do these things and your set to go =P
My problem is road/engine noise. There's so much clarity & bass lost because of those two things, and I don't like to turn music up too much. Things sound sooo awesome at idle.
But yeah, ratttles are soooo annoying!!! I'm glad mine are gone!!!
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Definitely worth the $35 for Flashtac and foam tape.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much did it take / cost to do the doors and how much difference did it make? I'm on a roll now.....
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Umm, I've gone through like 2.5 rolls, but my 1st roll wasn't the $35 one. Anyway, I've done rear parcel shelf, and both doors, 1 layer on outerskin, 2 layers on inner skin. Lemme find the pic...
It takes 1 entire day per door (well for me it did) and its better if its sunny. Also MDF in the service holes etc. In terms of difference, I can only say that its marginally quieter road noise wise but the doors close a lot more solid now. Also, the mid-ranges are coming out clearer personally. But yeah, nothing rattles anymore. I only wanna do the rear panels because it rattles sometimes if I go over continous bumps...
Bass comes through a lot clearer though. I wanna do the wheel arches b/c that'll make more of a difference road noise wise, but after a friend's wheel fell off his skyline on the free-way, I'm not so happy go lucky at removing the wheels...
I also wanna do the floorpan, but was put off by the staples in the carper hehehe. I guess one step at a time.
I reckon it does make a difference though, but the FTO engine is soo loud anyway. Upto 80km/h, it is queiter in my opinion, but at 3000rpm on the freeway (which is where I am most of the time) the engine noise is loud and the doors being sound deaden focuses all the noise coming from the front of the car now as it does block out external noise from the SIDE.
Then again, I could be getting engine noise through the amp, only I don't know I am... But I switch off the HU and I get the same noises so I assume its not. Anyone know what engine/alternator noise sounds like??
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

You'd definitiely know if you had alternator/engine noise it's a horrible buzzing (almost ticking) that varies with engine revs. I had it on an old car once and had to introduce a surpressor in the power supply. I don't think you could have it in a subtle way.

Your door looks the business, but I think I'll cure my rattling exhaust first......