Ugly rear number plate area

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

andy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Ugly rear number plate area

Post by andy »

My number plate is smaller than the bumper recess and there's a really rubbish looking area above it. I guess there's a difference in size between Japanese and Australian number plate sizes.

Does anyone have any ideas or cunning plans to block off the hole or make that area look good? FTO's are such beautiful looking cars, but that really lets them down for me.

Cheers
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

you can either:

i. swap it for an FTO Veilside rear bumper
ii. cover the number plate area with checkerplate
iii. fill the void it with body filler / fibreglass and resand it for a smooth finish (and repaint it)
iv. modify the factory bumper by integrating another rear bumper from other kits (ie: 300ZX Veilside or Feels Civic rear skirt)... very expensive job though...

i've been contemplating about option 4 for quite some time now, but performance is my priority now LOL...
Last edited by GPXXX on Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Hehe, I (well, the dealer/vicroads guy, dunno since I wasn't there) had to bend both sides of my rear licenseplate for it to fit inside properly. Never really thought about the space above/below but I think the checkerplate idea is really nice! You can get one round that size for about $8 or so at The Warehouse, but I think it'll need cutting to fit nicely.
Personally, i don't think its that bad is it? Maybe its cos mine are those ugly standard plates and not nice slimline ones, so it covers the area more??
Oh, I know a guy with a Supra. Dunno what brand kit off my head, but it had that deep area before the grille, like in the FTO veilside kit. Anyway, his front plate is inside the area and he's never paid for citylink once in 3 years (he's sold the car now).
Meanwhile, my friend in the FTO had his plate there for 2 days inside that same part of the veilside kit, and the cops pulled him over for it like every 2nd day after that till he put it right in front.. :roll:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i got slimline plates on mine and the gap below the plates are just too much for me, but i've learnt to live with it... hehehehe... :) been thinking of covering it with a custom-made sheet, in carbonfibre again of course... ;)

...but at the end of the day a custom rear bumper will look better than patching up holes with this n' that i suppose... :roll:
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Well guys I may have the answer. I have put a MIVEC sticker below my number plate to cover the space - looks very effective. I have emailed Mikey the photo so he can host it for me (thanx again Mikey). I'll show u the result soon. May be worth contemplating! :wink: :wink:
jc133480
Apprentice

Post by jc133480 »

I put a large narrow piece of vent grill behind the number plate and trimed the sides to make it neat and tidy, I managed to get really fine grain grill smaller than the stuff used on the nose cone, looks really sweet, if you take some of the boards out from the boot you can bend the top section around so it hides all the gaps above the number plate.
You dont even need to use glue or anything, just make wholes where the number plate bolts go. You might want to put two tiny stainless steel screws near the bottom to stop it from flapping.

If you want photos let me know my email

martin.t@hushmail.com
:P :P