General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jester
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Search is over! But.....

Post by jester »

Hey all,

Sorry for tyre question again but my search is drawing to an end!
Found a GPX & should be picking up next weekIm over the moon!! :lol:, But (always a but)

Need one pair of new tyres, the ones on the car now are all $220 each,some hardcore yokos 205/50 R16.

I was thinking bout getting Firestones FirehawkSZ50 205/50/R16 $150 fitted.

Any thoughts... experiences... advicve...share.
Ive read the previous posts on this but i was just wondering if anyone had any specific coments bout these tyres.

Thanx in advance...
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I recently bought some goodyear eagle f1's for $165 each - I find them pretty good.

Check you old tyres to see that they have worn evenly. Wearing on the inside or outside quicker than the rest of the tyre may mean that you need a wheel alignment also.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
nofearzz
Apprentice

Post by nofearzz »

I would probably stay with the Yakohama's.

Wheels magazine recently did a extensive tyre test with all the major tyre brands and the Yokohama A539 came out on top in most of the catergories, slalom, grip test, etc... and ended up winning by a large margin.

But it's your choice.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

$220 for Yoko 205/50 R16 is waaaay overpriced, unless you were quoted for semi-slicks... in fact that's the same price i paid for my 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenzas...

for tyres that are fitted on 16" rims, I'd expect to pay no more than $180 a pop for a really, really good one (ie: Eagle F1s or Dunlop Lemans).

Unless you do a lot of performance driving, any tyres you chose should make not too much difference for everyday driving unless you get a really dodgy tyre (ie: Kumho, Kelly, Hankook etc).