General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nofearzz
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Good mag wheel brands and upgrade size

Post by nofearzz »

Hi Everyone.

I'm thinking of upgrading the Wheels on my FTO.

What are some good brands that are good quality but also good value, weight doesn't matter to me aslong as they are good quality (and any websites of the brand or purchase.. if you know)

Currently i have the standard 16" wheels: 205/50 R16

As i want to upgrade to 17" wheels, what would be the standard next step up size to 17'' , as in tyre width etc... without going overboard, just the next step upsize.

Thanks for any help!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

The logical up-size to go for is 17X7 rims, especially if you want to lower your car in the future.

You can choose between two tyres sizes for 17X7 rims:
1) 215/45ZR17 - These will produce a slight percentage error when reading your speed (eg you will be going about 71.5km/h when your speedo reads 70km/h).
2) 215/40ZR17 - These are even more lower a profile than 45s, but do not have a significant speed reading error (if anything, the speedo will actually overestimate your speed).

I'm not really sure about brands. I currently have ROH brand rims and they look really good 8) . But shop around and do some research before you buy anything.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

yah, rxboy is right.

you can check out the info here:
http://www.myfto.co.uk/fto_performance.htm
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

There is a big range of wheels out there, here's a few links to get you started:

http://www.tyres.com/
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/
http://www.roh.com.au/

You may find multiple brands have the the same or very similar styles.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

I have 17x8 with ROH mags.

Best wheels you can buy.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

the current trend is the light-weight wheels in black, greyish and white.

I personnally like them, but are a bit too expensive :cry:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

A good way to start is by stating your budget, then we can go from there... as we're not salesmen here (i'm sure), don't worry about any of us coming down on you with dodgy sales pitch etc... ;)

personally, i'd go for 17x8 or 18x8.5 (with the right offset)... Good balance between rolling diameter size and practicality (ie: rubber width for extra grip).
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

i want to get new wheels, rims, tyres aswell.
budget is around $1000-$2000
i was thinknig of 17'inch, but would 18inch fit?

tyres... aslong as they are good, and last for a while, i currently have goodyear f1eagles atm..... maybe something a bit better
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

for $2K, you can get a set of decent 17s with tyres fitted... it'll be pretty hard to get 18s with a $2k budget unless you get them second hand... and 18s will fit as long as their width do not exceed 8.5" (and the right offset).

Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres are actually pretty good tyres, so if you have sh*tty 17s right now, you will save heaps if you keep your current tyres (provided there's still plenty of tread left), and perhaps spend more on the rims itself...
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

acutally my rims n tyres are 16inch...

when i got it, it had 3 newly fitted tyres, and 1 old one.. coz apparently the store only had 3 of those tyres, n didnt have the 4th one in stock...
but yeh.... i eather get a 4th tyre, or get a whole new set of 17inch wheels n rims
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thecook wrote:acutally my rims n tyres are 16inch...

when i got it, it had 3 newly fitted tyres, and 1 old one.. coz apparently the store only had 3 of those tyres, n didnt have the 4th one in stock...
but yeh.... i eather get a 4th tyre, or get a whole new set of 17inch wheels n rims
in that case just get a set of 17s with tyres on a $2K budget... If you do not drive your car hard often, then you don't really need super-dooper tyres... Maybe Falkens will do the job just nicely...

ask for Mark @ Donellans in Box Hill along Whitehorse Rd (next to BP) and he'll take care of you. Some of the 17's that are out there these days are very good looking, so with your budget it'll be pretty hard to go wrong.

Is your car lowered as well?
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

thanx mike

nope car aint lowered... i think it was lowered before, but raised up again.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thecook wrote:thanx mike

nope car aint lowered... i think it was lowered before, but raised up again.
if you are gonna get 17s, then you better budget a couple hundred more for lowered springs as well or otherwise the car will look like a 4wd on low profile tyres LOL... lowered springs are around $400-$450 fitted if i remember correctly... (@ Donellans Box Hill)
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I got 17's with 45 profiles and my car is not lowered, but looks great. I don't think you need lowered springs unless u get 40 profiles.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:I got 17's with 45 profiles and my car is not lowered, but looks great. I don't think you need lowered springs unless u get 40 profiles.
from past experiences, i notice the ride comfort on a 45-series tyre is more liveable than the 40-series. It may not seem like a lot of difference, but you can feel it in your bum as you drive on bumps & undulations on the road (esp. melburnian roads). i currently have 45-series rubber on my 17s and the ride comfort is relatively good considering i've got lowered Prof springsfront & rear with std shocks...
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

i currently have 45 profile tyres, and i feel that it looks a little high. hehe
maybe i will get some springs to lower by about 30 mm without changing shocks and see how long it will last... :wink: i think it handles not as well this high?? not sure. haha