Lowering

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

YYgirl
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Lowering

Post by YYgirl »

Hey guys, if I want to lower my car, do I need to get a mechanic to do it? because my friend said he can do it, but i'm not sure if it's safe. hehe
I want to save some money on labour. hehe :wink:
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

I'd go with a mechanic. Check with your insurance company before you do any mods.
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

Post by JSP-INC »

and u should consider umm matching the springs with some shocks... dpends but..

I say *Consider*
elmo
Grease Monkey

lowering

Post by elmo »

lowering is easy and safe as long as it is done right. Just remove your old spring and replace it with a lower one, easy and anyone can dop it if they try.
Now on the other hand...
lowering blocks, cut springs or worse, heating the springs to make the car drop is a definate no no. aswell as illegal and unsafe. But extremely cheap and a good way to reck your suspension.
Buy the right springs and your mate should have no trouble doing it, otherwise don't let him near it.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Thanks everyone! I think i will buy some kings springs and still thinking what to do. because labour is like $200! :evil:
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

I found labour very expensive too when I got mine lowered about a year ago. The cheapest I found meant a trip to the Gold Coast to see the guys at Mermaid Suspension at Mermaid Beach for $160 incl GST. The next cheapest was like $220! They have lowered several FTOs and seemed to know what they were doing. They recommended I also get better/upgraded bumpstops at the front from memory which I did to be on the safe side and it was only an extra $70 I think. I've only been back once to get the rear end bolts etc retightened due to squeaking all the time but that is not a reflection on their workmanship I'm sure. So if you can spare a few hours to make the trip I'd definitely recommend them.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh cool! how much was the total ? (springs + labour)
Chiangstar
Grease Monkey

Post by Chiangstar »

replacing your springs really isnt very hard...i replaced mine....you just need a few wrenches (socket wrench kit if possible), a set of spring compressors which are something like $30 at kmart, wd40, pin stands and a few hours of work...

its a pretty messy job ... you just have to make sure you put everything back on the way it came off and secure everything .... get a good wheel alignment afterwards...

theres a UK website somewhere that tells you exactly how to do it...cant remember the link off the top of my head though...
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

YYgirl wrote:oh cool! how much was the total ? (springs + labour)
Well my King springs were ~ $150 plus fitting at $160 plus the $70 bumpstop things and a wheel alignment it was all around the $420 mark.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Hi, does any think i need to get new shocks? because i went to MIDAS and they told me I need to get shocks for it to work right?
elmo
Grease Monkey

shocks

Post by elmo »

My car is 70000K and wilkinson suspension told me shocks are ok as long as you only lower a bit. Or "level" the car, which was what I was gonna do.
They actually said everything is still in really good condition under there which suprised me cause everyone kept telling me that the suspension on imports usually needed replacing.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh, I think I want to lower it by about 30-35mm front and 20 back.

Has anyone out there lowered there car without getting new suspension? and what is the ride like?

Because my mechanic told me it would ride better, but then i dont want to spend that money on shocks. Thanks heaps guys!
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

apexi

Post by JSP-INC »

I have Apexi GT's but like they're bout 50-55mm lowered springs..
And the ride.. lol, terrible and teh struts aer bottoming out, but like i've had these springs on the standard shocks for bout 2 years.. only in the last few months has it got unbearable..
Getting new shocks next week!!

lowering 35mm is ok, but u might find that it bounces a bit, and the ride will be harsher but not overly!!
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh, damn. so the ride would not be better but worse if i just change the springs? only looks better but bad ride? and it would not handle better? :(
elmo
Grease Monkey

lowering

Post by elmo »

depends what sort of ride your after hey. you cant just say better.
A slight amount of lowering will make the suspension slightly firmer and flatter so your car will handle better. In your opinion this is probably not a better ride.
If it is a cushier ride like a family car that your after then the news is all bad. Youd probably need shocks and springs, maybe even dual rate to get the right handling.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

how much is 'slightly'? i mean, is 30 to 40 mm for the front considered as slightly? and would the shocks suffer?
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

dude

Post by JSP-INC »

getting lowered springs won't cure your body roll!! best to get a strut brace for that!!
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

yeh strut brace is the way to go
Last edited by thecook on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.