4 new FTO... what mod to start with...

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ozasia
jedwabna poszewka promocja

4 new FTO... what mod to start with...

Post by ozasia »

Hey guys... like many new FTO owners.. or owners with limited funds..

what would be the best start to mods on FTO?

Should I start with interior or exterior?

Engine? brakes? tyres? body kits? audio? or simply minor cosmetics? etc

if you experienced guys can give some tips to what would be the best starting point.. i guess the newbies can set a 'roadmap'...

thanks. 8)
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I wouldn't bother getting new tyres or wheels until your old tyres have worn out.

Mods are all personal prefernce, some prefer good looks over performance, others prefer it the other way around.

Most cosmetic changes will add weight to the vehicle (eg sideskirts, chrome mags, subwoofers etc) and therefore will not help it go faster.

I think the best way to save money on modifying your car, is to have a plan of exactly what you want to achieve and how to get there. It's no good doing a mod today, if you will have to throw that mod out in the future (eg buying 18" wheels today, but then deciding that you would prefer 17" instead or vice-versa).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
elmo
Grease Monkey

Mods

Post by elmo »

Personally, the first thing I did was upgrade the brakes, these wont need to be changed later if you change other things so it is a good placew to start.

So now that you have one, hopefully a GPX, go out and wind it out a bit, brake hard to a stop and repaet three or four more times. When you miss your marker by 5 metres you will know what I mean.

As always elmo accepts no responsibilty for your actions, but you must know the limits of your vehicle and it is best to find them in a controlled environment, not when you needed that extra 5 metres.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

as stated by mattg:
mods are all personal prefernce, some prefer good looks over performance, others prefer it the other way around.
do you want more speed, or more looks?

performance-wise, you can't go wrong with exhaust work... not only will it give you more top-end (depending on how well designed the system is), it will surely sound better too...

as for looks, i'd go for a nice set of 17s or 18's and lower it just a bit... the factory body in itself looks gorgeous straight out of the box so it's really a matter of pref. of how you want your car to look like...
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

fto

Post by JSP-INC »

If your changing your exhaust system to an aftermarket one, then be careful of the size of the system and also the muffler.
I think the stock system isn't bad and works better low - mid but you will lose that if you end up going for a bigger diameter system and muffler.
I found that i was losin' power bottom end with the apexi dunk, but i suppose others would have had better results.
As for doin' up the car, it's all down to what you want out of the car, be it, looks or performance.!!

Engine wise, prolly some cams would be good, and a CAI..
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

I think matt sumed it very well

You need to know what you want to have done to it when you finish and dont do any mods that will need to be changed later when you do some other, and you need to decide how much you want to spend,

If you got lots of money then you can do almost any thing but if you only got a little then you might want to just get airfilter, exhaust and maybe make it look good with a body kit and a few bits and pieces.

This website will give you an idea of a lot of the differant mods you can do

http://mitsubishi-fto.info/mods/index.php
elmo
Grease Monkey

brakes

Post by elmo »

I cant beleive none of you reckon the brakes are crap????
If you plan to drive it do the brakes, it's 500 bucks that wont make you go any faster but will save your ass when you eventually do.
and as for uprgrading, buy the one you reckon are the best and you shouldn't have to. beside there is not much of a range for FTO.
All other noted mods are good.
Found extractors made a lot better down low. Throatier and torqier. Can drive it below 3000 rpm, still beat most cars and sound awesome, even without mivec kikin in.
and I agree totallly with:depends how far you plan to go,
'cause danny would have wasted his money on extractors!'
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

I find the brakes are adequate for day to day driving, i mean so many times people have nearly run up the back of me when i have had to break suddenly, because their brakesare no where near as good.
On the GPX model i wouldnt mind doingthe brakes, but on anyother model (non abs) i would be too worried about the wheels locking up to easily. Also whats the point of big brakes i mean u can only brake as good as your tyres can hold
elmo
Grease Monkey

brakes

Post by elmo »

Yeah but mine only had cheap, crappy rubber on it when I got and still had trouble with hot brakes.
GPX brake are great for normal driving, but sometimes you need to stop a little quicker, and more than once, thats when they start to suffer.
ozasia

Post by ozasia »

You guys all have very good point....

what i currently have is.... Trust exahust with Jasma Sports muffler.

Im gonna start with a good brake (Black Diamond Drilled and Grooved) unless its too expensive.. then it would be the wheels... i guess.

i would love to have body kits .. and i think i read about the copy veilsides or Daytona D_Curatro/copy so... let see how much i can afford.

anyway.. thanks.. and keep the opinion coming.. and please let us know if you know anyone who might be selling at good price...

rob