Help, Car won't move!

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

rxboy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Help, Car won't move!

Post by rxboy »

Well, after 1.5 years of driving it, my FTO finally got bolloxed. Was trying to parallel park on Fitzroy St and suddenly the reverse gear went (i pressed the gas but the car wouldn't reverse). Then noticed that it was making a clanking noise as i was going forwards. Finally, even forwards didn't work :roll: ...... had to get it towed home. I checked the transmission fluid level and it's OK. Anyone has any ideas about the possible problem?

Thanx in advance.
elmo
Grease Monkey

car stuffed

Post by elmo »

DR Elmo suggests this may be a blown diff, the spider gears are gone.
Could be wrong, but try pushing the car a bit when it stops working and this should move the diff past the missing teeth.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Thanx Dr Elmo :D but I don't think that's it. I've put the car in neutral several times (before and after the tow) and it is still not working :? .
I guess it's time to put my AVC warranty to the test. I've got a $4000 claim limit on transmission and hopefully I could get the car back ASAP.
elmo
Grease Monkey

???

Post by elmo »

OK but if it is clanking it is not likely to be your trans (you got an auto right?) cause autos are full of bands so unless it was under a heap of load you wouldnt break it and make it clank.

Q: Did the clanking stop when the car was in D and it would no longer move forward, did the car stall or did it just sit there making a noise?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Yeah, i've got a tiptronic.

At first, when I noticed that I couldn't reverse, I was going forwards and I was hearing clanking noises.

When I stopped at a side-street and tried reverse again, it started rolling back slowly and then came to a violent stop. Forwards was still working but still clanking.

Then even forwards didn't work and there was no clanking when the car was in D. The car didn't stall, it just sat there with revs climbing as I hit the gas. There are now no more unusual noises coming from it, it just doesn't move at all :evil:
elmo
Grease Monkey

???

Post by elmo »

Alright got me fooked, I thought I knew a bit about cars but this is beyond me, will ask my mechanic.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

That's OK. I'm getting it towed to my mechanic on Tuesday. He will enlighten me about the problem, time and money involved.

Thanks for trying though :D
elmo
Grease Monkey

Trans

Post by elmo »

What I meant was my mechanic is outside fixing a car for me, I will go ask.

He said the diff at first same as me, but if your sure its not that then its something really bad in the trans, front roller bearings he said else it just fried but it shouldnt be grinding unless an input shaft is gone....

Good luck anyway, sounds like your gonna need it.