Locks???

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

elmo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Locks???

Post by elmo »

Well I might have found some locks guys.
Does anyone know if there is a diference between the ignition locks on a manual and a tiptronic?
Can anyone tell anything about these special keys we supposedly got???
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Keys - I've had trouble getting a good copy of mine cut. I don't know if that is just because the key cutting place wasn't good enough or what.
The owners manual says that the keys are hard to copy and that you need to contact Mitsubishi in Japan to get some sent out to you.

I don't think there should be a diufference between the ignition locks (not sure though).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

The key is piss easy to copy actually. I went to the first place I saw, a shoe repair/key cutting place, and they made me a perfect copy for $5. Works 100%.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

yes! me tooo, just a key cutting place did a fine job! hehe
elmo
Grease Monkey

its all bullshit.

Post by elmo »

Well mitsi told me the keys had something special, like a transponder immobilizer in them so that only the original keys would start the car.

As you guys have been saying this is bull, cause i pulled the switch off the back of the lock and started it with a screwdriver, so any key will do. But I need em all replaced.

So about that ignition barrel...
The story goes that a tip has to be in park to take the keys out? This sound rite to you tip owners?
There is apparently a cable running from ignition to slushbox that if you remove means the lock will still work fine???
Any help??
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

Yes that's correct.. you have to have the car in Park to be able to remove the key once it's in there...
There's a cable running from under the barrel (attached to a white plastic cover with a roller in it that touchees the barrel...) that will then click down once the car is in Park and then allow the key to be removed.
You can take out the black plastic button thing once the barrel is removed and then the key will always be removable....
I know as I had my key stuck in there and had to do just that to make it work again....
let me know if you want more detailed explination but it's rather straight forward once you see inside the hole left by the barrel lock.

Cheers
elmo
Grease Monkey

Post by elmo »

So you say that as long as I take it off before it is put on the car it will be ok?
ie with the cable fully removed it works like a normal lock?
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

Elmo,
You don't have to remove the whole cable... just the little black button thing inside the lock housing.. it's way down the back on the botton once you remove the lock barrel.. you can also just remove the little white plastic box from undernearth where the lock is (3 screws I think) and then let the blck thing drop out.. just make sure you put the metal end of the cable back in right..
Once you remove the lock barrel and look inside you'll know what I'm talking about.. small black plastic square that's loose... just remove it and you're set :lol:
elmo
Grease Monkey

locks

Post by elmo »

OK dude, will give it a go but dont disappear cause I may need some more advice.
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

Hey Elmo,
Did you give it a go on the weekend?
How'd it go?
elmo
Grease Monkey

locks

Post by elmo »

Finally got my locks.
They are the same cept the cable thingy which has already been fixed for me. Thanks to Spider at Jap auto Spares/Jehn Auto imports in Queensland. He deserves a plug cause he is the only wrecker in AUS who called me back.